Steel wad comparison q's?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Steel wad comparison q's?

Postby d_money » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:13 pm

Ok I was wondering for those more advanced than me loading steel how each of these wads compair. I have only ever loaded with Sami 1 wad found a load I liked and stuck with it. I just purchased several wads to try along with my shot from bpi. I got multi metal 2 3/4", tps 2 3/4", mg42, and pt1265 or used to be called vp65. I will only be loading these in 2 3/4" hulls I have several to choose from sts, fed, rio, Fio and aa. Any way for those that have compaired them can u give me some insite on how they perform compaired to each other do some pattern tighter, looser, worse/ better. Also if anyone has a favorite recipe I could use please pm me or post it up. Basically any good info I'll be interested.
d_money
hunter

Re: Steel wad comparison q's?

Postby grnhd » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:30 pm

I've shot all those wads but the MG42. What kind of shot weight are you looking to shoot? What size shot? Powder?
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby d_money » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:38 am

I have been shooting fast 7/8 oz and 1oz loads lately. Looking to try 1 1/8oz loads and basically looking for a change. I have steel, longshot, unique, and clays on hand right now. I would like a general comparison between the wads and also what worked for u. I'm not opposed to anything even light or heavy loads.
d_money
hunter

Postby grnhd » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:22 am

I've had excellent luck with the VP65 in a 2 3/4 cheddite hull and 1oz of 3's using STEEL powder. I don't know if you could sub in any of the hulls you have on hand or not. I know you cant use the taper walled hulls for the data I use. My GUESS is you could use the Fio. I also gotten great patterns using this same wad/hull combo with a 1 1/8 load of 2's. I use that 2 3/4 TPS wad in a 3" 1 1/4 load. PM me if you want details of any of these.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 am

I have good patterns using VP60 in my 1 oz loads, also loaded RSI 84 with 1 1/8 oz of 2's using VP60's for 3 rd shot on mallards. I use the MM shotcup in my 7/8 oz load in the GM hull. Good luck. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby d_money » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:31 am

I was hoping Ned would post in my thread. I know Ned has prolly forgot more about wads than I would ever know. I was hoping for those guys that have used all the wads what u liked or didn't like about each wad. I also do have about 50 ched hulls enough to start patterning but not enough to hunt with. Either way that is fine I am sitting on 500 loaded rounds right now of my previous favorite round just trying to figure out something new.
d_money
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:45 pm

I like vp-65's.between the multi-metal and tps i'd pick the tps.the mg's I never tried.i do like the csd's mainly for 1 oz loads.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:52 pm

I like the VP/PT65s, I like the patterns they give in all my guns and the loads I sub them in.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes