Slugs

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Slugs

Postby Bull Can » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:46 am

I have a 20 ga browning bps that I don't use much. My first shotgun but is now collecting dust because I my 12 ga nova. I was wondering, can I shoot slugs out of it? I don't have a rifled barrel but I've hear yes, just not as accurate and don't use a choke.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Re: Slugs

Postby A5Mag12 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:09 am

Of course you can shoot slugs from it and if screwing up your barrel is what you are wanting to do then yes you should leave the choke tube out.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Use an IC choke with rifled slugs. Get some clamp on adjustable rifle sights and you should be able to get decent groups at 50 yards. Any further than that in my experience, they drop off greatly. The most you might be able to get out of is 75 yards. I keep wouldn't take a shot over 50 with my smooth bore slug gun
Last edited by mawtrfowler on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Bull Can wrote:I have a 20 ga browning bps that I don't use much. My first shotgun but is now collecting dust because I my 12 ga nova. I was wondering, can I shoot slugs out of it? I don't have a rifled barrel but I've hear yes, just not as accurate and don't use a choke.

Correct on all points. USE NO CHOKE! (use a tube obviously, but no choke.. ie Cylinder tube)
BBK
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:52 am

Use an IC choke. In fact right on every Remington Slugger slug box it says "these slugs may be fired through any choke, however, improved cylinder provides best results". My smooth slug barrel is fixed IC choke as well.
z51
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:50 pm

"NO CHOKE" in this case DOES NOT MEAN to shoot them thru a barrel without ANY CHOKE TUBE !!!!!!!!!!!! It does mean to use an OPEN choke like a CYL or IC. NEVER shoot anything thru a barrel that has bare choke tube threads, always have a tube in there that is if you don't have a fixed choke (no tubes) barrel.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes