The 20 can almost do it all

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: The 20 can almost do it all

Postby mudpack » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:05 am

Jon Bergren wrote:There is not a forcing cone in a 835/935. we checked it with ceratru which confirmed what Mossberg said. Ned S

Then what do you call the tapered transition between the chamber and the bore, you know; like the one in Frank's 835??
mudpack
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:42 pm

28 gauges are bad azz I shoot 27 yard trap with my model #37 28 ga Ithaca it crushes them .
cootlover
hunter

Postby hawglips » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:17 am

mudpack wrote:
So, the claim is now that the 28 is as good as the 20, and some are claiming the 20 is as good as the 12.
That leaves us with the obvious conclusion that the 28 is as good as the 12....right?

Depends on how they are loaded.

For example I have a .410 turkey load that puts 20% more pellets of the same penetration energy into a 10" and 20" circle at 40 yds than I can get with my 12 ga shooting 1-7/8 oz of lead 4s.

It ain't the gun that does the killing but what comes out of the gun.
hawglips
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:30 pm

So the "bore of the 835 is the same size as the chamber? If not then is must have a taper and if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. No matter what someone wants to call it.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:29 pm

hawglips wrote:
mudpack wrote:
So, the claim is now that the 28 is as good as the 20, and some are claiming the 20 is as good as the 12.
That leaves us with the obvious conclusion that the 28 is as good as the 12....right?

Depends on how they are loaded.

For example I have a .410 turkey load that puts 20% more pellets of the same penetration energy into a 10" and 20" circle at 40 yds than I can get with my 12 ga shooting 1-7/8 oz of lead 4s.

It ain't the gun that does the killing but what comes out of the gun.

Just what about that don't people understand??????????????????
Lost, whose 2-3/4" 28 ga using TSS outperforms both in gel penitration ie energy and Pattern density vs the 3-1/2" 12 ga loaded with big Letter size Steel Shot.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:40 pm

mudpack wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:There is not a forcing cone in a 835/935. we checked it with ceratru which confirmed what Mossberg said. Ned S

Then what do you call the tapered transition between the chamber and the bore, you know; like the one in Frank's 835??

Gentlemen this topic was covered already at:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=159771

BTW Ned it is called "Cerrosafe" and Brownells' have sold it for years.
It would appear that it is an allotropic compound that changes crystal structure, ie volume, with temperature, you pour it in, wait until is cools a bit and it will drop out then wait until it is at room temperature and your dimension will be exactly what you need from your chamber/forcing cone/ barrel.

Google Cerrosafe and you will get a complete definition of the alloy.

Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:07 pm

My 835 must be a rarity, then. The bore section mikes out at exactly .775, the chamber at exactly .798 and there is about a 3/8 inch section between the bore and the end of the chamber that has a taper to it. The taper, by the way, looks to be right at about 5 degrees. In other words, the bore diameter is right at Mossberg spec and the chamber and cone right at SAAMI spec. Like I said, I really don't care what you or Mossberg's marketing people call it. The fact is that it is a forcing cone.

By the way, Ned, I think that there are a number of us that would be interested in seeing a photo of your casting. Care to post one up? Thanks.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:16 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:

My 835 must be a rarity, then. The bore section mikes out at exactly .775, the chamber at exactly .798 and there is about a 3/8 inch section between the bore and the end of the chamber that has a taper to it. The taper, by the way, looks to be right at about 5 degrees. In other words, the bore diameter is right at Mossberg spec and the chamber and cone right at SAAMI spec. Like I said, I really don't care what you or Mossberg's marketing people call it. The fact is that it is a forcing cone.

By the way, Ned, I think that there are a number of us that would be interested in seeing a photo of your casting. Care to post one up? Thanks.

Frank

Good luck with that one Frank, Ned said a while back, see my reference above, that they had to beat the casting out of the barrel so that immediately red flags any dimensions from that casting IMHO
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes