Geese with #4's Remington wingmaster HD

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Geese with #4's Remington wingmaster HD

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:01 am

I had this old box of ammo for the 10 and decided try it out. #4 shot @1300fps. It was a slow day with NO ducks to be seen and the few geese were flying high so I decided to take a shot at geese that were in the 50 to 60 yd range (yes I an very accurate at judging distance). I was shocked that this stuff folded 2 geese as good as the BBB steel I have been shooting and they hit the ground dead. I also have 10 boxes of the Federal 10ga tungsten-Iron #2 but not sure if the Tungsten-Iron is the same as the HD. Either way I can not find anyone selling either of these loads. would like to have more of this for the ammo locker. Did they discontinue it? I do not reload 10ga and have no intention of doing so as it is not cost effective for me. I only take the 10's out a couple of times a year when I am not walking too far.

P1020273.JPG
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Geese with #4's Remington wingmaster HD

Postby BBK » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:06 am

Yup, discontinued.

The federal stuff is around 10g/cc vs 12g/cc for the remington.. unless your federal is "heavyweight". The federal in #2 should be about equal to your remington in #4.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby TexasGeese » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:32 am

4's are a great all around load in my opinion. Especially for those early morning situations where ducks and geese a both flying around and you don't want to be switching loads in and out. I would switch to 2's for routinely long shots on geese though. Every time a good load like that is discontinued, you can never buy enough of it. The 1 7/8 oz #4's were even better.
TexasGeese
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:00 pm

I just found some 3" Rem HD 1-5/8 oz #4 Turkey loads.These would be good goose loads. They want to much for shipping!

http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/product_p/14640.htm
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby mjk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:15 pm

Waterfowlhunter,

I made a HUGE mistake about 2 or 3 years ago. As stated, the HD has been discontinued. At the time, Gander Mountain was clearing out 12 gauge #4s for about a buck a shell. It was originally sold at 15.00 box, so quite the discount.

I should have backed up the cart, and bought their inventory. Instead, I bought 30 rounds. I used a few rounds last year, on closing weekend, and it absolutely stoned the Mallards I shot. I am kind of stingy now with using them... :smile:

BTW, I also have used that Tungsten Iron in the past, and wasn't all that impressed.
mjk
hunter

Postby gooshnr » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:55 pm

The HD loads were Remington's follow-up to their discontinued Hevishot loads. I thought the 10ga Hevishot 2s were the best thing since the old lead Winchester XX copper-coated BBs. I never tried the 10ga HD 4s but I had good luck with the 2s. However, the BBs are my favorite and I think they are better than their Hevishot 2s. I picked up several cases of the HD BBs a couple years back when I saw they were going to discontinue that load too. I save them for pass shooting on windy days as they are overkill for shooting over decoys. Hopefully an equal or better option that's affordable comes around by the time I burn through my stash.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby John Duck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:13 am

#4 is used by many Far North guides for geese, especially around Hudson Bay. They claim it slips in under the feathers and does not bounce off like larger shot and gives more head and neck wounds that usually result in quick kills. In a 1 1/4 ounce typical load, 4 has 100 more pellets than 2, now that is something to ponder.
John Duck
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 am

John Duck wrote:#4 is used by many Far North guides for geese, especially around Hudson Bay. They claim it slips in under the feathers and does not bounce off like larger shot and gives more head and neck wounds that usually result in quick kills. In a 1 1/4 ounce typical load, 4 has 100 more pellets than 2, now that is something to ponder.

You don't know what wingmaster hd is do you? It has less pellets than steel 2's.
BBK
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:05 am

mjk wrote:Waterfowlhunter,

I made a HUGE mistake about 2 or 3 years ago. As stated, the HD has been discontinued. At the time, Gander Mountain was clearing out 12 gauge #4s for about a buck a shell. It was originally sold at 15.00 box, so quite the discount.

I should have backed up the cart, and bought their inventory. Instead, I bought 30 rounds. I used a few rounds last year, on closing weekend, and it absolutely stoned the Mallards I shot. I am kind of stingy now with using them... :smile:

BTW, I also have used that Tungsten Iron in the past, and wasn't all that impressed.

The factory Tungsten Iron loads really weren't that impressive, they used the early attempt at a Flite Control wad , a 6 petal, pink colored disaster and I honestly believe they didn't make the velocity high enough in them. I bought quite a bit of the TI loads when they were discontinued, at about half price...yes I am cheap.. :lol3:.
We salvaged out quite a bit of #2 and #4 TI shot and made some really nice loads from it, being round it took higher velocity very well, usually a 1500 fps load of the #4 TI was enough to do in Canada's at a long distance. I wish I had bought more of it when I had the chance.
I didn't make the same mistake with the Wingmaster Hd Shot, right now I have about 7 lbs of #2 and 12 lbs of #4 salvaged HD I am going to use up and enjoy shooting. Remington had the best non toxic shot on the market with HD, why they discontinued it is mystery.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 am

Dunns has the high density #BB on sale for $130 if you are looking for more shot BT... not half price but still a considerable savings.
BBK
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:01 am

BBK wrote:Dunns has the high density #BB on sale for $130 if you are looking for more shot BT... not half price but still a considerable savings.

Thanks, I spent enough on the HD shot...LOL.
When Bass Pro clearanced out the HD Home Defense 2x4 shot loads ,I bought like 24 boxes of it, same shot as the Waterfowl HD. I made a homemade shot separator and went to town. Worked out to like $12.65/lb for the shot, even less if you factor in the empty primed hulls and wads out of the deal. Seemed like a bargain to me. :yes:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:04 am

I know! I missed that sale by 2 days!
BBK
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Some of my pickings from past closeout deals...
#2 plated Remington shot, #2 Wingmaster HD and #4 Wingmaster HD
BT Justice
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:45 pm

I bought 5 cases of the Federal Heavyweight 3" 1-1/4 oz of #2 loads when Rogers was closing them out and reloaded the shot in Fiocchi 3" hulls with 1-1/2 oz of FHW #2s for coyotes.

Here are some of the Rem UHD 2-3/4" BB loads that I took the shot out of for coyote loads. I also got around 30 boxes of the HD 2X4 loads. Most of the Rem UHD 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz loads were $9.98 per box, for a while they were $7.98 per box when Bass Pro Shops was closing them out. I put a 1/2 cork wad in the 2-3/4" Rem UHD shells and then put 1-1/4 oz of 7-1/2s or 8s in them and re-crimped them.

This shot is Winchester Xtended Range B shot it is some really good looking shot to.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:49 am

Your worse than I am .... :lol3: :lol3:
Glad to see I'm not the only scrounger out there.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby gooseseeker » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Back in the good old days of waterfowling with lead we used to reload 23/4" 5s and had great success with full chokes!
gooseseeker
hunter

Postby wildflights » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:12 am

Derbyacresbob & BTjustice,

What did you use to open up those hulls without mangling them?

Sorry to thread jack. I have 250 rounds of factory Fiocchi 1-3/4 oz lead that I shouldn't have bought. I'd like to reclaim the shot, hulls and maybe the wads.
wildflights
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:20 pm

I have a small Phillips head screwdriver that is perfect for opening up 12 ga shells. Once I get the crimps opened up enough to dump the shot out I use the screw driver handle to open up the crimp wide open.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:26 pm

That is how I do it as well. Only I use a flat screwdriver to carefully pry open the crimp flaps enough to get the shot out.
BBK
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes