Duck Hunting Forum banner

Gain worth the pain?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  z51 
#1 ·
Which shell/set up would you shoot over decoys ( 80% mixed ducks and 20% Specs) choosing between
Kent Silver 3.5" 1.5 oz #2 patterns 160 pellets at 30 yds and 135 pellets at 40 yds with Kicks Mod
or
Fed Blue Box 3" 1.125 oz #2 patterns 125 pellets at 30 yds and 110 pellets at 40 yds with Carlson Long Range
or
Kent Fasteel 3" 1.25 oz #1 patterns 120 pellets at 30 yds and 100 pellets at 40yds with Carlson Mod

I know most of you load your own and can do better than these. This is what I have to roll with.

#2 ·
arey60 said:
Which shell/set up would you shoot over decoys ( 80% mixed ducks and 20% Specs) choosing between
Kent Silver 3.5" 1.5 oz #2 patterns 160 pellets at 30 yds and 135 pellets at 40 yds with Kicks Mod
or
Fed Blue Box 3" 1.125 oz #2 patterns 125 pellets at 30 yds and 110 pellets at 40 yds with Carlson Long Range
or
Kent Fasteel 3" 1.25 oz #1 patterns 120 pellets at 30 yds and 100 pellets at 40yds with Carlson Mod

I know most of you load your own and can do better than these. This is what I have to roll with.
That one as long as you are shooting medium/large ducks. Otherwise the 2's would be fine... either one.

#3 ·
I hunt open water out of a perm blind and have to deal with stout winds alot of the time. If the wind is 10mph or less, I shoot a 2 3/4" shell with a 1 1/8oz payload of #2s. I get shots at both ducks and geese most mornings. I try my best to limit my shots to 55 yards or less. That 2 3/4 pip squeek load works great as long as not too much wind. If the wind comes up, I switch to a factory Kent load which is 1 1/4oz #1s at 1425fps. So you can see, I dont need a 3.5" shell for shooting over decoys. The shots at geese are passing shots. Both your Fed load and Kent load should do just fine. When I patterned the Kent load at 45 yards, I was only getting 92/129 but still a killer load even at 73%. I shoot a SBE with Terror .685 or .700. I shoot the .700 most. I hope this is the info you are looking for. Last season, I left my 10ga at home and used only my 12ga with the above loads and my kill ratio seemed to improve over using my 10ga on goose shots.

Chris

#4 ·
It depends on your skill level and hunting conditions. For me (when I'm using the 12 ga instead of the 20) 99.9% of the time a
3 1/2" load would be massive overkill. I just don't need or desire to take shots at a range which that load would be beneficial. I'm even starting to back down from the 3" loads but since they only run an extra $1 a box where I'm at the 3" is generally my primary load unless I find a deal on 2 3/4".

#5 ·
In my guns and for the way I hunt , i've seen no reason to change using the Kents . If your hunting over decoys , try those
Kents in 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz of 2's or 3's with your LM choke . They do surprisingly well , in my guns !

My reloads are based on those but , better ! :yes: :smile:

#9 ·
10gaOkie said:
I too have used the Kent 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz #2s. A fine load for factory fodder. My same size reload is much better but the factory Kents are nothing to be sneezed at. I like them too but the 2 3/4" Kents are very very hard to find.

Chris
Dick's sporting goods around here usually keeps a whole mess of them in stock. Now watch me go to buy shells today for Saturday's opener, and they have none.

#10 ·
The Federal Speed Shok 3" #2 is fine if you stay 40 yards or less and don't take going away shots at the geese when they are departing.
In fact, my Carlson Mid Range throws as good a pattern as your Long Range with that load. I almost never use my Long Range unless I'm pass shooting in public areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.