Would you buy -- Winchester Extended Range Hi Density.

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Would you buy -- Winchester Extended Range Hi Density.

Postby mjk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:23 pm

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/sho ... 54983.aspx

Here is the question - this load is no longer made (to my knowledge). Current pricing is listed.

If you were able to find this load:

a. what would you personally pay per 10 pack ?

b. Would you shy away from the 2.75" 1.5oz #5 or #6 as a late season duck/goose load?

I'll explain what I am driving at when I hear responses.

Thank you.
mjk
hunter

Re: Would you buy -- Winchester Extended Range Hi Density.

Postby BBK » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 pm

mjk wrote:http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/winchester-xtended-range-hd-shotgun-ammunition-prod54983.aspx

Here is the question - this load is no longer made (to my knowledge). Current pricing is listed.

b. Would you shy away from the 2.75" 1.5oz #5 or #6 as a late season duck/goose load?

Thank you.

A. I probably would't pay much for it because I simply cant afford that expensive stuff. But I'd say $30 a box would be reasonable. Hevi is more than that.

B. The 1.5 5's would be a great goose load, 6's a great duck/goose load or long range duck load. I don't know the comparisons off hand, but I would imagine the 6's would be close to #1 steel and the 5's around #BB steel. I'm shying on the conservative side, its probably more than that.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby mjk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:32 pm

I just acquired 100 rounds from a small retailer out in the country. Told him I'd buy his entire stock, if it rang up appropriately...

13.99/box. I couldn't hand him my CC fast enough.

May sell a few boxes down the road. Mix of 5s and 6s.

Funny thing was that their pricing labels were @ $29.99/box. UPC gave a different story, though.
mjk
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:57 am

Different strokes.... Looks like you made a deal that you are more than happy with. I am glad for ya. I have shot the Hi Def stuff before. However, the 2 3/4 regular steel will do everything I need. I dont push my range past 50 yards, the reg steel is more than adequate as a lethal load. I am much happier paying $100 for a case of 250 reg steel than $140 for 100 Hi-D.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby mjk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:40 am

The back of the box indicates 10% heavier than lead, for what that is worth. I was at a Cabelas a few weeks ago, and they actually had a small quantity of the Wingmaster HD left. At clearance, it was still 3.00/round.

I guess the reason for my post (certainly not to brag), was to find out what 'fair market' rates would be for that load if I chose to sell a few boxes.

BBK wrote:
mjk wrote:http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/winchester-xtended-range-hd-shotgun-ammunition-prod54983.aspx

Thank you.

A. I probably would't pay much for it because I simply cant afford that expensive stuff. But I'd say $30 a box would be reasonable. Hevi is more than that.

B. The 1.5 5's would be a great goose load, 6's a great duck/goose load or long range duck load. I don't know the comparisons off hand, but I would imagine the 6's would be close to #1 steel and the 5's around #BB steel. I'm shying on the conservative side, its probably more than that.
mjk
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:57 am

If you want some good long range goose loads or coyote loads check out this link for Win Xtended Range shells.
http://www.lg-outdoors.com/products.asp?cat=12560

These Win Xtended Range 3" loads are 1-3/8 oz of shot but they are $2.00 less per shell than most of the Hevi-Shot 3" 1-1/2 oz loads are going for.

This is what Win Xtended Range B shot looks like.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby d_money » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:20 pm

I went to a hole in the wall place a few weeks ago and got there last 3 boxes for 12.99 each.
d_money
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:42 pm

10gaOkie wrote: Looks like you made a deal that you are more than happy with. I am glad for ya. I have shot the Hi Def stuff before. However, the 2 3/4 regular steel will do everything I need. I dont push my range past 50 yards, the reg steel is more than adequate as a lethal load. I am much happier paying $100 for a case of 250 reg steel than $140 for 100 Hi-D.

I could have written that post myself.
I still have three boxes of Remington Wingmaster HD. I shot two boxes of it several seasons ago and was not impressed. I had a higher kill/shell ratio with standard Remington Nitro Steel.

As to the original question; I'd think someone who wanted the HD stuff would be willing to pay $3/shell for it...seeing as how the load is no longer marketed.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:20 pm

August 2011 I walked into our local BPS and noticed some boxes of the Winchester ER in 2 3/4" hull, 1 1/2 oz. of #6's.

They had originally been $32.95/box (10) and marked down to $19.95/box and then, there they were on an end cap at $9.95/box.

I left with all 31 boxes.

In a 36" circle, these print 300X+ with both the (original) PM tube and Terror tube in .681 constriction.

They are absolutely deadly on anything with webbed feet and a heartbeat out to 60+ yards.

BTW, they are still in production...as turkey loads...same cartridge, different bird printed on the box.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby mjk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:55 am

Yes, these loads I acquired are 'Turkey' loads...

Yuchi1 wrote:August 2011 I walked into our local BPS and noticed some boxes of the Winchester ER in 2 3/4" hull, 1 1/2 oz. of #6's.

They had originally been $32.95/box (10) and marked down to $19.95/box and then, there they were on an end cap at $9.95/box.

In a 36" circle, these print 300X+ with both the (original) PM tube and Terror tube in .681 constriction.

They are absolutely deadly on anything with webbed feet and a heartbeat out to 60+ yards.

BTW, they are still in production...as turkey loads...same cartridge, different bird printed on the box.
mjk
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 am

mjk wrote:Yes, these loads I acquired are 'Turkey' loads...

Yuchi1 wrote:August 2011 I walked into our local BPS and noticed some boxes of the Winchester ER in 2 3/4" hull, 1 1/2 oz. of #6's.

I thought the shot in the turkey loads was heavier than in the waterfowl loads?

I've shot hundreds of rounds of the 2 3/4" xtended hd 2's and B's...you can find those if you look hard for under $2 a round.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:17 am

Thank you.

I personally draw the line at $2.00 bucks a pop and as to question B, the 5 and 6 shot is good to 60 yards on ducks and close to that on geese. If you are shooting past that distance then yeas I would shy away from them :wink:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:on an end cap at $9.95/box. I left with all 31 boxes.

I'd say ya' done good. :thumbsup:
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Edge » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:40 pm

mudpack wrote:
10gaOkie wrote: Looks like you made a deal that you are more than happy with. I am glad for ya. I have shot the Hi Def stuff before. However, the 2 3/4 regular steel will do everything I need. I dont push my range past 50 yards, the reg steel is more than adequate as a lethal load. I am much happier paying $100 for a case of 250 reg steel than $140 for 100 Hi-D.

I could have written that post myself.
I still have three boxes of Remington Wingmaster HD. I shot two boxes of it several seasons ago and was not impressed. I had a higher kill/shell ratio with standard Remington Nitro Steel.

As to the original question; I'd think someone who wanted the HD stuff would be willing to pay $3/shell for it...seeing as how the load is no longer marketed.

You must have been having a bad day, with the HD. While the RNS was a good steel load, it is not in the same boat as the HD. No way, not even close. I still have about six boxes of HD because when they quit making it I bought all that I could find. I still have almost a case of Tungsten which for me is better than hevi shot, but you can't find it anymore either. I picked up anothe case of hevi shot today after srwearing off of it last year, but at $220 a case, I don't see anything that can beat it. If you find something better,please let us know.
Say when.
Edge
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes