shot weight vs. velocity

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:29 am

Jon Bergren wrote:I shoot the fast stuff and it will kill further than the slow stuff. If you shoot steel 1's at 1730 fps which I do it will penetrate to kill snows to 62.2 yds. I also shoot and kill geese with 7/8 oz of B's and I can hold them together to 66.5 yds with a Terror choke. Don't tell me speed doesn't killl. Ned S the young 85 yr old.



I don't think anyone here is saying speed doesn't kill... 1300 fps is a fine killing "speed" so is 1700 fps for that matter. What are you getting at?

Personally I wouldn't be shooting any geese at 60 yards, at least I wouldn't set out to be doing so.

Yes, higher velocity will result in a bb going further. I don't think we need to argue that one. I was only suggesting that it may not be a very efficient combination, as the losses may approach the gains to a degree, but maybe I am thinking of things that are insignificant overall.

Personally I think "speed" sells more than it kills more. I'd also wager that a box marked "high-velocity" will push some hunters to take shots they would never normally take, pushing the ethics of their own capability.

But, if you have found yourself a combo that works to your advantage, well I can only applaud that, even if it sounds a bit oddball-ish. Our methods will always evolve, as they have.


Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA


Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby Jon Bergren » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:45 am

Mugzwump wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:I shoot the fast stuff and it will kill further than the slow stuff. If you shoot steel 1's at 1730 fps which I do it will penetrate to kill snows to 62.2 yds. I also shoot and kill geese with 7/8 oz of B's and I can hold them together to 66.5 yds with a Terror choke. Don't tell me speed doesn't killl. Ned S the young 85 yr old.



I don't think anyone here is saying speed doesn't kill... 1300 fps is a fine killing "speed" so is 1700 fps for that matter. What are you getting at?

I'm getting "at" speed kills, it's that simple

Personally I wouldn't be shooting any geese at 60 yards, at least I wouldn't set out to be doing so.

You must have never shot the spring snow season where the birds hand their at 50 yds with the second shot being at 60 yds.

Yes, higher velocity will result in a bb going further. I don't think we need to argue that one. I was only suggesting that it may not be a very efficient combination, as the losses may approach the gains to a degree, but maybe I am thinking of things that are insignificant overall.

Probably true with boughten shells, but not reloads are very efficient out to 60 yds.

Personally I think "speed" sells more than it kills more. I'd also wager that a box marked "high-velocity" will push some hunters to take shots they would never normally take, pushing the ethics of their own capability.

My experience with fast shells is that they kill more.

But, if you have found yourself a combo that works to your advantage, well I can only applaud that, even if it sounds a bit oddball-ish. Our methods will always evolve, as they have.

Nothing "oddball about it" Ned S the young 85 yr old, Speed kills.


Mugz
Jon Bergren
hunter
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby mudpack » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:53 am

Jon Bergren wrote:Why should I drop the velocity?, I can control the patterns. You would be shooting the fast stuff if you could, but you are unable to load it as well as control the pattern. Kinda like not understanding why the ejecta can spin and does. Ned S

The misunderstanding might be on your part, old boy. My point is to increase pattern density (by adding 1/8oz more payload?), thereby increasing range; not to drop velocity. However, (and here's a newsflash for you) when you add payload, the muzzle velocity usually drops. It's a byproduct of increasing payload. Get it?

If you can control the patterns, why don't you control them past 55 yards? :huh: If you had more shot in the pattern, perhaps you could do just that. You seem to be so fixated on speed that you ignore the other component of a killing shotgun pattern; density. :no:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6189
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby solway gunner » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:42 pm

jehler wrote:1 1/4 ounce at 1470 trumps all


In 3" 12ga it does where i live,especialy no1s on passing duck.
solway gunner
hunter
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:50 am
Location: scotland uk

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:
You must have never shot the spring snow season where the birds hand their at 50 yds with the second shot being at 60 yds.


Every year my friend... I'm right near the largest staging grounds in the world. I hunt all up and down the St. Lawrence river... lol.. but we don't really have the problem of birds hanging out at 50 or 60 yards... We do a lot of pass shooting, where they're inside 30 or 40 yards, and sometimes they come in droves right over the brush... maybe 10 or 15 feet up. Batters up! In April last year they counted over 500,000 snows in one sanctuary , Baie-du-febvre, about 3 or 4 km from my main spot.

If they hang up over decoys, I'll let 'em hang and eventually they'll fold wings and drop a good 20 -30 yards for ya. If they're not then you have something wrong in your setup or someones calling shots too early. They should be coming in all willy nilly... that's how I call it anyways., when they fold left and then right, dropping in hard. Around here we often get shots in the 15 to 20 yard range on spring snows over decoys. I hope they soon open up a spring Canada goose season cuz it is just bonkers with canadas on most of my snow goose hunts A few times they've started stacking up in our decoys! My native buds have open rights to hunt whatever and man do they clean up in honkers every spring. That is a hunt to see.

So... Ned, sorry but I don't have the need for speed.

Mugz.
Ya got me itching now bud... two weeks, season opens and I'll be out scouting! And speaking of heavy vs. fast loads, I'll be upgrading from the 3" 1187 to an SP10. I've never used a 10 ga. for hunting before, pretty stoked for it!
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby solway gunner » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:01 pm

Mugzwump wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:
You must have never shot the spring snow season where the birds hand their at 50 yds with the second shot being at 60 yds.


Every year my friend... I'm right near the largest staging grounds in the world. I hunt all up and down the St. Lawrence river... lol.. but we don't really have the problem of birds hanging out at 50 or 60 yards... We do a lot of pass shooting, where they're inside 30 or 40 yards, and sometimes they come in droves right over the brush... maybe 10 or 15 feet up. Batters up! In April last year they counted over 500,000 snows in one sanctuary , Baie-du-febvre, about 3 or 4 km from my main spot.

If they hang up over decoys, I'll let 'em hang and eventually they'll fold wings and drop a good 20 -30 yards for ya. If they're not then you have something wrong in your setup or someones calling shots too early. They should be coming in all willy nilly... that's how I call it anyways., when they fold left and then right, dropping in hard. Around here we often get shots in the 15 to 20 yard range on spring snows over decoys. I hope they soon open up a spring Canada goose season cuz it is just bonkers with canadas on most of my snow goose hunts A few times they've started stacking up in our decoys! My native buds have open rights to hunt whatever and man do they clean up in honkers every spring. That is a hunt to see.

So... Ned, sorry but I don't have the need for speed.

Mugz.
Ya got me itching now bud... two weeks, season opens and I'll be out scouting! And speaking of heavy vs. fast loads, I'll be upgrading from the 3" 1187 to an SP10. I've never used a 10 ga. for hunting before, pretty stoked for it!


Why the need for a 10ga on zero range geese?? thats absolutely ridiculous- at the ranges youve just quoted a squirrel gun would be more than good enough.
solway gunner
hunter
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:50 am
Location: scotland uk

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:30 pm

solway gunner wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:
You must have never shot the spring snow season where the birds hand their at 50 yds with the second shot being at 60 yds.


Every year my friend... I'm right near the largest staging grounds in the world. I hunt all up and down the St. Lawrence river... lol.. but we don't really have the problem of birds hanging out at 50 or 60 yards... We do a lot of pass shooting, where they're inside 30 or 40 yards, and sometimes they come in droves right over the brush... maybe 10 or 15 feet up. Batters up! In April last year they counted over 500,000 snows in one sanctuary , Baie-du-febvre, about 3 or 4 km from my main spot.

If they hang up over decoys, I'll let 'em hang and eventually they'll fold wings and drop a good 20 -30 yards for ya. If they're not then you have something wrong in your setup or someones calling shots too early. They should be coming in all willy nilly... that's how I call it anyways., when they fold left and then right, dropping in hard. Around here we often get shots in the 15 to 20 yard range on spring snows over decoys. I hope they soon open up a spring Canada goose season cuz it is just bonkers with canadas on most of my snow goose hunts A few times they've started stacking up in our decoys! My native buds have open rights to hunt whatever and man do they clean up in honkers every spring. That is a hunt to see.

So... Ned, sorry but I don't have the need for speed.

Mugz.
Ya got me itching now bud... two weeks, season opens and I'll be out scouting! And speaking of heavy vs. fast loads, I'll be upgrading from the 3" 1187 to an SP10. I've never used a 10 ga. for hunting before, pretty stoked for it!


Why the need for a 10ga on zero range geese?? thats absolutely ridiculous- at the ranges youve just quoted a squirrel gun would be more than good enough.


Lol... yea, I can see your point with that. I used a .410 till I was 12 years old or so, didn't make limits but I got my geese, I was just learning then. But I'm first to admit I still miss with my 12ga.I'm not really expecting to remedy that with the 10 ga, but I guess just adding it to the arsenal.. maybe a bit of big gun syndrome in there. What I am expecting with the 10 ga is to bag more double kills on pass shooting. When the geese are low and coming across, i'll sometimes get two or three of em with one shot, we often clean out flocks of 15 birds or so between the group like this. Which is why I don't really believe in all this "tight pattern" stuff... punt guns have a terrible pattern but are most effective at bringing birds down. I can single out a goose at 30 yards with a 7/8 oz, or I can take him and his buddy with a 1 3/8 oz load. Both scenarios are likely to happen once in awhile with either load, but one load makes more sense at the dinner table to me.

With all honesty I'm just curious to see if the big 10 makes more geese dead.

And 40 yards isn't zero range... 10 feet maybe is... but I tell ya a shot at ten feet man you better have good aim and nail that thing in the head or we're all covered in guts! A goose flying 10 feet overhead is actually pretty hard to hit, he's only overhead for a split second... and you're gonna hit him with the shotcup too, no different than a slug. And its more like shooting a fat flushing grouse, its fast. not like shooting them out at 30 yards at all. Though if you miss your buds don't let you live that one down, trust me. lol Mostly we shoot 'em coming in, or going away... so.. those up close shots are rare.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby solway gunner » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:21 pm

Are you actualy advocating browning into skeins of geese with a 10ga and large payload with true cylinder as its reading that way to me?seriously??
A puntgun is effective because it shoots up to 2lbs of shot within 70yrds max,im not sure how your logic is applied to the pattern density of these guns,but im sure youl find a high percentage of the load is placed inside of a 30" circle within this distance.
Ill ignore the "cleaning flocks of 15" birds bit out too -i know you and others get excited by it ,but call me whatever you want i genuinely hate seeing it happen,but each to their own as ever and which brings me to question why the hell anyone would intentionally want to let a goose get in as close as 10-15feet then try and "head shoot" it is truly beyond me.
You shoot over point blank range of 10-15feet to the medicore of range 40yrds which is why you dont do "tight pattern stuff"and which is why a 10ga mag is of absolutely no practical use to you whatsoever,unless its for your big gun syndrome thing that is.
A 10ga is used -at least in the UK -for pass shooting at the longer ranges for duck and geese,but mostly geese and in my view unless theyve got shorter barrels for close up work arent much good for anything else other than that.,ive formed that opinion after using them for the last 30yrs.
solway gunner
hunter
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:50 am
Location: scotland uk

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:19 pm

solway gunner wrote:Are you actualy advocating browning into skeins of geese with a 10ga and large payload with true cylinder as its reading that way to me?seriously??
A puntgun is effective because it shoots up to 2lbs of shot within 70yrds max,im not sure how your logic is applied to the pattern density of these guns,but im sure youl find a high percentage of the load is placed inside of a 30" circle within this distance.
Ill ignore the "cleaning flocks of 15" birds bit out too -i know you and others get excited by it ,but call me whatever you want i genuinely hate seeing it happen,but each to their own as ever and which brings me to question why the hell anyone would intentionally want to let a goose get in as close as 10-15feet then try and "head shoot" it is truly beyond me.
You shoot over point blank range of 10-15feet to the medicore of range 40yrds which is why you dont do "tight pattern stuff"and which is why a 10ga mag is of absolutely no practical use to you whatsoever,unless its for your big gun syndrome thing that is.
A 10ga is used -at least in the UK -for pass shooting at the longer ranges for duck and geese,but mostly geese and in my view unless theyve got shorter barrels for close up work arent much good for anything else other than that.,ive formed that opinion after using them for the last 30yrs.


Im not sure what browning is... or what that whole sentence means. You lost me there. If you're put off by the idea that a hunter can take two birds with one shot... well you forget the true origins of the shotgun.

It amazes me how some people get so riled up when you mention using a 10 ga.

Are you in the UK?

If you hate seeing birds come down then why hunt? I don't go out there to mess around. The daily snow goose limit here is 20 per hunter. No limit on overall possession. 15 birds isn't even a good start when 6 guys are out there. I hunt for meat. I hunt waterfowl over 100 days a year. Why not shoot a 10 ga? Why not shoot a .410 for that matter? You seem to have a problem with that. Lol... by the way.. I always try to head shoot. No damage to the meat.

Some of you think speed kills more... I've given a scenario where payload kills more. How many of us have railed two birds with one shot? The first shot I ever took with my 1187 I took two mallards with a 2 3/4" lead #4.

I'll bet that TSS #9 gets double kills.

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Another thing, you find the idea of someone using a 10 gauge at geese out to 40 yards unpractical, or unethical maybe, personally I believe anyone shooting past that range with any gun is pushing the limits of both practicality and ethics. If you're not getting close shots, well then you're just not doing it right, all you're doing is scaring them away and next year they'll be even further out, and eventually these conversations will consist of guys mumbling about needing to make 100 yard shots.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby Beretta06 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:22 pm

So trying to wrap my head around this when you guys talk heavy and slow what are we talking 1-9/16 oz ? 1-1/2oz or smaller? I used to shoot 1-1/2 oz for a long time. Which was stupid in my opinion now. In lead equivelant payload volume wise that would be 2-1/8 oz. that is simply over kill . Now I shoot an 1-1/16 one shot size smaller 180 fps faster lead equivelant payload size between 1-3/8 oz and 1-1/2 oz is closer to an old lead duck load. How many pellets do you need? I think 1-1/4 oz of lead 4s was popular in the lead era? That's 169 lead #4s? So 1oz off steel #3s is 163 1-1/16 oz #3s is 173. What is the need to shoot bigger than 1-1/4 oz of steel at ducks?
Beretta06
hunter
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby Theduckguru » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:55 pm

Mugzwump wrote:
solway gunner wrote:Are you actualy advocating browning into skeins of geese with a 10ga and large payload with true cylinder as its reading that way to me?seriously??
A puntgun is effective because it shoots up to 2lbs of shot within 70yrds max,im not sure how your logic is applied to the pattern density of these guns,but im sure youl find a high percentage of the load is placed inside of a 30" circle within this distance.
Ill ignore the "cleaning flocks of 15" birds bit out too -i know you and others get excited by it ,but call me whatever you want i genuinely hate seeing it happen,but each to their own as ever and which brings me to question why the hell anyone would intentionally want to let a goose get in as close as 10-15feet then try and "head shoot" it is truly beyond me.
You shoot over point blank range of 10-15feet to the medicore of range 40yrds which is why you dont do "tight pattern stuff"and which is why a 10ga mag is of absolutely no practical use to you whatsoever,unless its for your big gun syndrome thing that is.
A 10ga is used -at least in the UK -for pass shooting at the longer ranges for duck and geese,but mostly geese and in my view unless theyve got shorter barrels for close up work arent much good for anything else other than that.,ive formed that opinion after using them for the last 30yrs.


Im not sure what browning is... or what that whole sentence means. You lost me there. If you're put off by the idea that a hunter can take two birds with one shot... well you forget the true origins of the shotgun.

It amazes me how some people get so riled up when you mention using a 10 ga.

Are you in the UK?

If you hate seeing birds come down then why hunt? I don't go out there to mess around. The daily snow goose limit here is 20 per hunter. No limit on overall possession. 15 birds isn't even a good start when 6 guys are out there. I hunt for meat. I hunt waterfowl over 100 days a year. Why not shoot a 10 ga? Why not shoot a .410 for that matter? You seem to have a problem with that. Lol... by the way.. I always try to head shoot. No damage to the meat.

Some of you think speed kills more... I've given a scenario where payload kills more. How many of us have railed two birds with one shot? The first shot I ever took with my 1187 I took two mallards with a 2 3/4" lead #4.

I'll bet that TSS #9 gets double kills.

Mugz


Doubles? Give me a tight flocked bunch of snows at the proper range and I'll show you 3-5 at a time with a 12 ga. 2 mallards per shot isn't a big deal either.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:54 am

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Theduckguru wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:
solway gunner wrote:Are you actualy advocating browning into skeins of geese with a 10ga and large payload with true cylinder as its reading that way to me?seriously??
A puntgun is effective because it shoots up to 2lbs of shot within 70yrds max,im not sure how your logic is applied to the pattern density of these guns,but im sure youl find a high percentage of the load is placed inside of a 30" circle within this distance.
Ill ignore the "cleaning flocks of 15" birds bit out too -i know you and others get excited by it ,but call me whatever you want i genuinely hate seeing it happen,but each to their own as ever and which brings me to question why the hell anyone would intentionally want to let a goose get in as close as 10-15feet then try and "head shoot" it is truly beyond me.
You shoot over point blank range of 10-15feet to the medicore of range 40yrds which is why you dont do "tight pattern stuff"and which is why a 10ga mag is of absolutely no practical use to you whatsoever,unless its for your big gun syndrome thing that is.
A 10ga is used -at least in the UK -for pass shooting at the longer ranges for duck and geese,but mostly geese and in my view unless theyve got shorter barrels for close up work arent much good for anything else other than that.,ive formed that opinion after using them for the last 30yrs.


Im not sure what browning is... or what that whole sentence means. You lost me there. If you're put off by the idea that a hunter can take two birds with one shot... well you forget the true origins of the shotgun.

It amazes me how some people get so riled up when you mention using a 10 ga.

Are you in the UK?

If you hate seeing birds come down then why hunt? I don't go out there to mess around. The daily snow goose limit here is 20 per hunter. No limit on overall possession. 15 birds isn't even a good start when 6 guys are out there. I hunt for meat. I hunt waterfowl over 100 days a year. Why not shoot a 10 ga? Why not shoot a .410 for that matter? You seem to have a problem with that. Lol... by the way.. I always try to head shoot. No damage to the meat.

Some of you think speed kills more... I've given a scenario where payload kills more. How many of us have railed two birds with one shot? The first shot I ever took with my 1187 I took two mallards with a 2 3/4" lead #4.

I'll bet that TSS #9 gets double kills.

Mugz


Doubles? Give me a tight flocked bunch of snows at the proper range and I'll show you 3-5 at a time with a 12 ga. 2 mallards per shot isn't a big deal either.


Lol... that's what I'm talking about!

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby solway gunner » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Mugzwump wrote:Another thing, you find the idea of someone using a 10 gauge at geese out to 40 yards unpractical, or unethical maybe, personally I believe anyone shooting past that range with any gun is pushing the limits of both practicality and ethics. If you're not getting close shots, well then you're just not doing it right, all you're doing is scaring them away and next year they'll be even further out, and eventually these conversations will consist of guys mumbling about needing to make 100 yard shots.

Mugz.


Stop talking like a clown,you shoot birds on the end of your barrel measured in feet -feet? :yes: you must hunt in disneyland-feet?? :lol3: We hunt pinkfeet/greylag where 50yrds is an average shot on an average morning if you get one at all, pass shooting geese roosting on a wide open estuary with miles of sand where geese roost on high sand bars often miles out. We pass shoot them on their way inland to feed -you havent got a clue.,we have to wait for adverse weather to get them below 40yrds.,i understand your lack of comprehension regarding this and it must come as a shock to you how other people from different countrys hunt wildfowl outwith your 40yrd comfort zone -and by the way,our season lasts 6months-by 100days were just warming up.
In the UK we refer the term "browning" to individual(s)who deliberately empty guns into tightly pack bunches of duck/geese in an attempt to kill as many as possible and disregard the wounding and crippling consequences-now thats what i consider unethical and thats all im saying on that subject,if you want to do it-great,more power to you which is why i suggested that was the sole reason and intent you want a 10ga for with open choke based on the content of your posting.
Regardless of what you may imagine it is merely impracticalto use a 10ga within 40yrds for full time shooting purely because of weight,swing,timing and pointability and effort required to hit targets close in because when you do they tend to get smashed up as they are normaly stoked up with lettered shot through a tight constriction-you being a purveyor of all you hunt and all that wont like losing breastmeat.,but crack on,buy one for your presumptious alter ego ,i couldnt care less ,buy 2,one for each arm.
I dont like shooting wildfowl?? ive never been accused of that before :lol3: thats funny.
This ones for you,i shot it on thursday morning with my sp10 with 15/8oz of T,this was a sick bird which was flying around the back of the marsh looking for some mercy.,impact on roughly 28yrds bird on deck 30yrds from my position.,caught in centre of pattern and just about good enough for soup and not a pretty sight.
Image
solway gunner
hunter
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:50 am
Location: scotland uk

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:29 pm

Kevin you weren't by any chance using TSS # 7 on that shot were you?
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: New Brunswick, Eastern Canada

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby 3200 man » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:40 am

Kevin With the load you gave me and the patterning I done at 60 yds , I see that coming with the 10 ga :thumbsup:

Chris would be proud of those 1 's
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 3051
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Here are two gentlemen, sportsmen, who have two completely different hunting styles and situations, both are right but for different reasons. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: New Brunswick, Eastern Canada

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby 3200 man » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Bill , don't tell anyone but this was with good steel shot ! :fingerpt: :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 3051
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:38 am

3200 man wrote:Bill , don't tell anyone but this was with good steel shot ! :fingerpt: :lol3: :lol3:


Won't say a word Larry........
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: New Brunswick, Eastern Canada

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby Mugzwump » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:40 pm

solway gunner wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:Another thing, you find the idea of someone using a 10 gauge at geese out to 40 yards unpractical, or unethical maybe, personally I believe anyone shooting past that range with any gun is pushing the limits of both practicality and ethics. If you're not getting close shots, well then you're just not doing it right, all you're doing is scaring them away and next year they'll be even further out, and eventually these conversations will consist of guys mumbling about needing to make 100 yard shots.

Mugz.


Stop talking like a clown,you shoot birds on the end of your barrel measured in feet -feet? :yes: you must hunt in disneyland-feet?? :lol3: We hunt pinkfeet/greylag where 50yrds is an average shot on an average morning if you get one at all, pass shooting geese roosting on a wide open estuary with miles of sand where geese roost on high sand bars often miles out. We pass shoot them on their way inland to feed -you havent got a clue.,we have to wait for adverse weather to get them below 40yrds.,i understand your lack of comprehension regarding this and it must come as a shock to you how other people from different countrys hunt wildfowl outwith your 40yrd comfort zone -and by the way,our season lasts 6months-by 100days were just warming up.
In the UK we refer the term "browning" to individual(s)who deliberately empty guns into tightly pack bunches of duck/geese in an attempt to kill as many as possible and disregard the wounding and crippling consequences-now thats what i consider unethical and thats all im saying on that subject,if you want to do it-great,more power to you which is why i suggested that was the sole reason and intent you want a 10ga for with open choke based on the content of your posting.
Regardless of what you may imagine it is merely impracticalto use a 10ga within 40yrds for full time shooting purely because of weight,swing,timing and pointability and effort required to hit targets close in because when you do they tend to get smashed up as they are normaly stoked up with lettered shot through a tight constriction-you being a purveyor of all you hunt and all that wont like losing breastmeat.,but crack on,buy one for your presumptious alter ego ,i couldnt care less ,buy 2,one for each arm.
I dont like shooting wildfowl?? ive never been accused of that before :lol3: thats funny.
This ones for you,i shot it on thursday morning with my sp10 with 15/8oz of T,this was a sick bird which was flying around the back of the marsh looking for some mercy.,impact on roughly 28yrds bird on deck 30yrds from my position.,caught in centre of pattern and just about good enough for soup and not a pretty sight.
Image



You have some nice range on that stream of piss. Haven't got a clue... Yea, feet buddy... If I wanted to pass shoot from 50 yards I've always got plenty of room behind me to back up about 130 FEET... but why would I do that? But maybe if i did I could then dig into the bowels of my morals and tell people off when they talk about close range shots? The difference between a 12 ga. bore and a 10 ga. bore is barely 1 mm... which by the way, correct me if I'm wrong, must be about the length of your panties wound up as tight as they are. Is that difference such a big deal it merits any of this bull you're coughing up at me?

Do what you want from your own blind, but don't come around telling me jack about nothing cause you wish you had tickets to disneyland. Do me a favour and google the snow geese at Cap-tourmente and at Baie-du-febvre in Quebec. Or any where in Canada for that matter... when you're done that you can look into the Canada Goose population we have here and while you're doing that remember that I've hunted the last 25 years from the coast of Hudson's Bay down to the mud flats of the St. Lawrence river. Oh... and the goose season here in Quebec stretches out to be about 10 months long.

Stuff that in your 10 gauge.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:16 pm

Point ~ counterpoint!
Nuff said, stand down Gentlemen, please.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: New Brunswick, Eastern Canada

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby jehler » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:24 pm

Mugzwump wrote:
solway gunner wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:Another thing, you find the idea of someone using a 10 gauge at geese out to 40 yards unpractical, or unethical maybe, personally I believe anyone shooting past that range with any gun is pushing the limits of both practicality and ethics. If you're not getting close shots, well then you're just not doing it right, all you're doing is scaring them away and next year they'll be even further out, and eventually these conversations will consist of guys mumbling about needing to make 100 yard shots.

Mugz.


Stop talking like a clown,you shoot birds on the end of your barrel measured in feet -feet? :yes: you must hunt in disneyland-feet?? :lol3: We hunt pinkfeet/greylag where 50yrds is an average shot on an average morning if you get one at all, pass shooting geese roosting on a wide open estuary with miles of sand where geese roost on high sand bars often miles out. We pass shoot them on their way inland to feed -you havent got a clue.,we have to wait for adverse weather to get them below 40yrds.,i understand your lack of comprehension regarding this and it must come as a shock to you how other people from different countrys hunt wildfowl outwith your 40yrd comfort zone -and by the way,our season lasts 6months-by 100days were just warming up.
In the UK we refer the term "browning" to individual(s)who deliberately empty guns into tightly pack bunches of duck/geese in an attempt to kill as many as possible and disregard the wounding and crippling consequences-now thats what i consider unethical and thats all im saying on that subject,if you want to do it-great,more power to you which is why i suggested that was the sole reason and intent you want a 10ga for with open choke based on the content of your posting.
Regardless of what you may imagine it is merely impracticalto use a 10ga within 40yrds for full time shooting purely because of weight,swing,timing and pointability and effort required to hit targets close in because when you do they tend to get smashed up as they are normaly stoked up with lettered shot through a tight constriction-you being a purveyor of all you hunt and all that wont like losing breastmeat.,but crack on,buy one for your presumptious alter ego ,i couldnt care less ,buy 2,one for each arm.
I dont like shooting wildfowl?? ive never been accused of that before :lol3: thats funny.
This ones for you,i shot it on thursday morning with my sp10 with 15/8oz of T,this was a sick bird which was flying around the back of the marsh looking for some mercy.,impact on roughly 28yrds bird on deck 30yrds from my position.,caught in centre of pattern and just about good enough for soup and not a pretty sight.
Image



You have some nice range on that stream of piss. Haven't got a clue... Yea, feet buddy... If I wanted to pass shoot from 50 yards I've always got plenty of room behind me to back up about 130 FEET... but why would I do that? But maybe if i did I could then dig into the bowels of my morals and tell people off when they talk about close range shots? The difference between a 12 ga. bore and a 10 ga. bore is barely 1 mm... which by the way, correct me if I'm wrong, must be about the length of your panties wound up as tight as they are. Is that difference such a big deal it merits any of this bull you're coughing up at me?

Do what you want from your own blind, but don't come around telling me jack about nothing cause you wish you had tickets to disneyland. Do me a favour and google the snow geese at Cap-tourmente and at Baie-du-febvre in Quebec. Or any where in Canada for that matter... when you're done that you can look into the Canada Goose population we have here and while you're doing that remember that I've hunted the last 25 years from the coast of Hudson's Bay down to the mud flats of the St. Lawrence river. Oh... and the goose season here in Quebec stretches out to be about 10 months long.

Stuff that in your 10 gauge.

Mugz.

from canada huh? must be a pepper
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17517
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby jehler » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:46 pm

Mugzwump wrote: here in Quebec

sorry, missed that...

Yep, pepper :lol3: :hi:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17517
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby Mugzwump » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:49 pm

jehler wrote:from canada huh? must be a pepper



Geez...that's pretty derogatory there bud, in fact it's considered a racial slur. :thumbsup: good job on that one, some true colours out in front.

And no I am not "a pepper".


Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: shot weight vs. velocity

Postby jehler » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Mugzwump wrote:
jehler wrote:from canada huh? must be a pepper



Geez...that's pretty derogatory there bud, in fact it's considered a racial slur. :thumbsup: good job on that one, some true colours out in front.

And no I am not "a pepper".


Mugz.

What's wrong, you the only one here that's allowed to be abrasive? I'll send a hurt feelings report ASAP, I had read your posts and thought "when in Rome..." Didn't realize you were sensitive
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17517
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

PreviousNext

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests