Hevi Metal Reviews?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Hevi Metal Reviews?

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm curious as to some of your reviews on Hevi Metal?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Re: Hevi Metal Reviews?

Postby Joe Hunter » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:16 pm

PA -- Here is part of a previous post of mine on the HM. You can do a search and find many more.

Here are some pattern results of mine comparing the patterning performance of several low-cost factory 12ga 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel loads against the Hevi-Metal 12ga 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel/#5 Hevi-pellet load to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get from a Modified choke. Of course, it should go without saying that you will need to pattern them through YOUR gun/choke to confirm the kind of performance you are get at the distance you use them!

Patterning results from a 12-gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

12 GA 3" HEVI-METAL LOAD 1 1/4 OZ
#2 REGULAR STEEL (101) & #5 HEVI (63) & FLAX SEEDS (164 TOTAL PELLETS) @ 1,500 FPS
40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.) -- pattern 93 (58%)

12 GA 3" KENT FASTEEL LOAD 1 1/4 OZ
#2 STEEL (155 PELLETS) @ 1,425 FPS
40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.) -- pattern 103 (66%)

12 GA 3" FEDERAL SPEED-SHOK WATERFOWL STEEL LOAD
1 1/4 OZ #2 STEEL (154 PELLETS) @ 1,400 FPS
40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.) -- pattern 115 (75%)

12 GA 3" REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD
1 1/4 OZ #2 STEEL (152 PELLETS) @ 1,400 FPS
40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.) -- pattern 110 (72%)

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER XPERT HI-VELOCITY STEEL LOAD
1 1/4 OZ #2 STEEL (146 PELLETS) @ 1,400 FPS
40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.) -- pattern 106 (73%)

Now you can be the judge.

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby gooseman1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Try that Hevi metal through a Hevi shot tube! The lights will come On!!! i shot it half this season with the ER Hevishot tube and was very impressed with 3'' 2s, and 3s!!
gooseman1
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:53 pm

gooseman1 wrote:Try that Hevi metal through a Hevi shot tube! The lights will come On!!! i shot it half this season with the ER Hevishot tube and was very impressed with 3'' 2s, and 3s!!

I love the Hevimetal BB's and 2's....they are really good shells
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:38 pm

I was not impressed with their performance. They didn't do any better than steel loads. I have been reloading RSI 88 3" 1 1/16 1730fps. I found the right choke and get great patterns. Boy does that work better than Hevi Metal for a lot less money. Hevi Metal is expensive stuff. If you're willing to reload, you can reload heavyweight 13 for not much more and get a much more lethal load. Your money is better spent patterning steel loads until you find a lethal choke+load combination. Now if it was all 12g Hevi shot for a reasonable price, that would be a different story.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:29 pm

everythings ducky wrote:I was not impressed with their performance
I found this to be true. A friend of mine gave me two boxes (12 gauge 3 inch #2 and BB). I was NOT happy with the patterns I was getting at 40 yards. I tried several chokes and guns. At 40 yards the patterns were VERY thin with a lot of shot clumps. When I was picking up the wads I found that some of them still had shot in them. :huh: I am not sure what would cause this. I did get ok (not great) patterns inside 30 yards with the #2 shot.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:11 am

Two metals and two pellet sizes, no thanks.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby - Andy - » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:01 am

Where are you guys buying your hevi-13 for reloading? I haven't ever seen anything other than regular hevi-shot for reloads.
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:28 am

- Andy - wrote:Where are you guys buying your hevi-13 for reloading? I haven't ever seen anything other than regular hevi-shot for reloads.

you get the perfect round for shape heavyweight shot from rsi reloading...this is not associated with emi at all there own make of the tungston hybrid shots made for them.

bucks run /rsi
CALL 1-800-274-0403

if goes to answer machine leave message they will call back.

here is link below of write up some one did ion california and for those guys that live in california this might be good place to get primers/powder ect ....there is link to were the guy got his components.

http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/ ... opic=30234
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:09 pm

rainingmallards wrote:
gooseman1 wrote:Try that Hevi metal through a Hevi shot tube! The lights will come On!!! i shot it half this season with the ER Hevishot tube and was very impressed with 3'' 2s, and 3s!!

The OP asked for reviews, not unabashed shills.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:58 pm

I tried to get Hevi-Metal #2's and #4's to pattern well out of my Beretta Silver Mallard through a variety of choke tubes... factory chokes, Kick's, and Carlsons. I think the highest / best pattern I got was about 50 to 55% coverage. I just couldn't get it to pattern well. I will try to find my patterning pictures... I think I still have them.

One of the guys I went to ND with this year also tried Hevi-Metal for about a season. If I remember correctly, he is unhappy with it as well and switching.

I will admit, neither of us were using the Hevi Shot choke tubes. I have heard that if you shoot Hevi products, they do work well. My recommendation is to make sure to pattern it before you start buying tons of it.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby dduckman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:40 pm

Have no patterning info to add, however I have seen my cousin hammer a dozen or so Big Canada's with heavy metal 2s, stoned most of them but shots were definitely close! Factory invector plus chokes, improved cylinder and modified both out of a gold hunter.
dduckman
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
rainingmallards wrote:

The OP asked for reviews, not unabashed shills.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :lol: :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Joe Hunter wrote:PA -- Here is part of a previous post of mine on the HM. You can do a search and find many more.

Here are some pattern results of mine comparing the patterning performance of several low-cost factory 12ga 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel loads against the Hevi-Metal 12ga 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel/#5 Hevi-pellet load to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get from a Modified choke. Of course, it should go without saying that you will need to pattern them through YOUR gun/choke to confirm the kind of performance you are get at the distance you use them!

Patterning results from a 12-gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

12 GA 3" HEVI-METAL LOAD 1 1/4 OZ
#2 REGULAR STEEL (101) & #5 HEVI (63) & FLAX SEEDS (164 TOTAL PELLETS) @ 1,500 FPS
40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.) -- pattern 93 (58%)

12 GA 3" KENT FASTEEL LOAD 1 1/4 OZ
#2 STEEL (155 PELLETS) @ 1,425 FPS
40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.) -- pattern 103 (66%)

12 GA 3" FEDERAL SPEED-SHOK WATERFOWL STEEL LOAD
1 1/4 OZ #2 STEEL (154 PELLETS) @ 1,400 FPS
40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.) -- pattern 115 (75%)

12 GA 3" REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD
1 1/4 OZ #2 STEEL (152 PELLETS) @ 1,400 FPS
40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.) -- pattern 110 (72%)

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER XPERT HI-VELOCITY STEEL LOAD
1 1/4 OZ #2 STEEL (146 PELLETS) @ 1,400 FPS
40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.) -- pattern 106 (73%)

Now you can be the judge.

Good luck.

+1, I found very similar results as Joe, I have three boxes now used as weights while working in the garage.

Hat
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:08 am

In my pattern tests it seemed to open up fairly quickly past 40 yards, even using a fairly tight X-Full choke:

The red dots indicate the tungsten pellets, while black indicates steel (determined by the size of the hole in the paper). I used it a couple of times this year hunting, and didn't see any marked improvement over standard steel loads. The tungsten pellets (which are supposedly #5's at about 10g/cc) didn't seem to penetrate even as well as the #2 steel they were paired with. YMMV.
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby gooseman1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:28 am

How much better can u get??? I will take those patterns and percentages everyday!! Take a little time and find the right choke- is my advice! Great load!
gooseman1
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:46 am

gooseman1 wrote:How much better can u get??? I will take those patterns and percentages everyday!! Take a little time and find the right choke- is my advice! Great load!

Even an brand other than Hevi shot?!?! :eek:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:10 am

gooseman1 wrote:How much better can u get??? I will take those patterns and percentages everyday!! Take a little time and find the right choke- is my advice! Great load!

The patterns are OK, although the 50 yard pattern is getting a little sparse. The percentages listed are not the pattern percentage, but rather what I call the "Critical Hit Probability." It's the probability of a face-on clay target (roughly the size of the vitals of a mallard) taking at least one hit anywhere within the 30" circle.

I can get somewhat better patterns using regular steel loads:

I generally prefer a load/choke combination that exceeds 90% CHP at the ranges I'll be shooting. If that can be achieved with a cheaper load, why pay the extra dough?
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:03 am

the smaller heavy metal pellets are out of the equation by 45 yards so really 40 yards and further the steel shot is doing the work...so with that said the steel loads would be better choice because they have plenty of energy 40 yards and closer. and the steel patterns are great at those yardages. also the steel loads are alot cheaper and if you reload the 23/4 loads with 450,470 and 11/8 have plenty of density for ducks and honkers .

here is and example of 11/8 oz of steel reload of 2's at 40 yards:
Attachments
steelshot 031.JPG
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:56 am

I have had great experience with hevi metal over the past 5 or 6 season of waterfowl hunting. I may be a bit biased, but I was shooting hevi metal the year before I started doing staff work for EMI. My experience is largely within the 35 yard range, and for me it has been a great shell. If you have any further questions please let me know.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:12 am

gooseman1 wrote:How much better can u get???

Most likely, quite a bit better. Granted, the sample is small, but there is more to patterns than simple percentages. For example, at 15 to 20 yards, a full choke will deliver a 100% pattern, but it really isn't very useful. You need to look at distribution and how many 4 inch holes (for large ducks) there are.

Shaun, what took you so long? Where ya been?

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:27 am

aclumpkin wrote:I tried to get Hevi-Metal #2's and #4's to pattern well out of my Beretta Silver Mallard through a variety of choke tubes... factory chokes, Kick's, and Carlsons. I think the highest / best pattern I got was about 50 to 55% coverage. I just couldn't get it to pattern well. I will try to find my patterning pictures... I think I still have them.

One of the guys I went to ND with this year also tried Hevi-Metal for about a season. If I remember correctly, he is unhappy with it as well and switching.

I will admit, neither of us were using the Hevi Shot choke tubes. I have heard that if you shoot Hevi products, they do work well. My recommendation is to make sure to pattern it before you start buying tons of it.

I never understood why they load them in 4s and 6s. You are buying half a load of 4s and half a load of hevishot dust. At 30 or so you are pretty much shooting a shell that has half the payload. Probably why guys are getting sucky patterns IMO.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:44 am

Frank Lopez wrote:
gooseman1 wrote:How much better can u get???

Most likely, quite a bit better. Granted, the sample is small, but there is more to patterns than simple percentages. For example, at 15 to 20 yards, a full choke will deliver a 100% pattern, but it really isn't very useful. You need to look at distribution and how many 4 inch holes (for large ducks) there are.

Shaun, what took you so long? Where ya been?

Frank

Frank, been living out of a layout blind the last 15 days basically. When I was home, I was finishing up baby shopping and working to finish up her room. my schedule is back to normal now, and I will be on more frequently, hope all is well. :beer:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:25 pm

SPatrick wrote:I have had great experience with hevi metal over the past 5 or 6 season of waterfowl hunting. I may be a bit biased, but I was shooting hevi metal the year before I started doing staff work for EMI. My experience is largely within the 35 yard range, and for me it has been a great shell. If you have any further questions please let me know.

Shaun,

As the HM is basically a spreader load in efficacy, your experience tends to validate such. Hope you had good shooting the past couple of weeks and best of luck with the little one's impending arrival. BTW, remember, they don't come with an owner's manual and all sales are final!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks Yuchi, the wife and I are very excited for the new addition. We have been beating the honkers up pretty good lately, besides the few days of -20 degree weather we experienced. :beer:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes