MAX PSI ???????????????

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Re: MAX PSI ???????????????

Postby goosepit2007 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Gcdhunter wrote:I used RSI 80 this year with #2's out of my BPS supermag. It patterned great and I have had no problems but am considering a different load for next duck season. Anybody have an idea of what the pressure is for Remington 3" 1 1/4oz 1700fps hypersonics is. I gotta think its pretty high at least in the 11,000 range

was in the waterfowl mag------quote from article read full article below with provided link.

The chamber pressure was high, running an average of 13,850 pounds per square inch. That’s a hot chamber burner. I recorded the data using a Krieger 198 test barrel of 30 inches with a skeet choke.

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tool_trade_w ... 42811.html
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:03 am

Frank Lopez wrote:
Quacker-Wacker wrote:If the max PSI for a 10ga is 11,000 PSI then what is the max for a 12ga 3" gun? RSI #80 is at 12,200 PSI. Is this load safe?

All 12ga guns and shells per SAAMI are 11,500psi MAP, EXCEPT the 3 1/2 inch 12ga which is 14,000psi.

Just a note on this. It's been mentioned in this and other forums by the resident "reloading experts" that these published overloads would be safe to shoot in 3 1/2 inch guns.

Frank

What I question is not so much guns of newer manufacture but the hulls that are being used.
I know Remington puts a BAR rating on the side of many of their hulls, but not many other manufacturers do...makes you wonder.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:48 am

goosepit2007 wrote:
Gcdhunter wrote:I used RSI 80 this year with #2's out of my BPS supermag. It patterned great and I have had no problems but am considering a different load for next duck season. Anybody have an idea of what the pressure is for Remington 3" 1 1/4oz 1700fps hypersonics is. I gotta think its pretty high at least in the 11,000 range

was in the waterfowl mag------quote from article read full article below with provided link.

The chamber pressure was high, running an average of 13,850 pounds per square inch. That’s a hot chamber burner. I recorded the data using a Krieger 198 test barrel of 30 inches with a skeet choke.

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tool_trade_w ... 42811.html

I read that article when it first came out and that pressure caught my eye. Granted, it was written by LP Brezny, who has quite a reputation of being a little off on such matters. Still, I read the thing over several times and the indication was that he was talking about 3 inch loads, not 3 1/2 inch loads. I quoted the article and sent an email off to Remington. They denied that any of their loads were not within SAAMI specs. When I pressed the issue, Remington did not respond. Seems like something is amiss there. Either Brezney (probably) or Remington (why wouldn't they respond?).

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby hawglips » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:47 am

Quacker-Wacker wrote:If the max PSI for a 10ga is 11,000 PSI then what is the max for a 12ga 3" gun? RSI #80 is at 12,200 PSI. Is this load safe?

It's safe, but it's over SAAMI MAP - 11,500 psi.
hawglips
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes