Anybody's choke suck on 9 differnet shells?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: Anybody's choke suck on 9 differnet shells?

Postby buckmeister » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:06 pm

You know I wondered if it could be point of aim, this is the first time I used the Coldwell lead sled. When I usually shot a black cloud 3 inch #4 I would get around 152 hits or so with the kicks choke. I tried the kicks choke that same day with the black cloud again and it stunk too. I think I will forgo the led sled and just rest it on a wool blanket where I can cradle the gun more naturally. I used the same card table last year too and did not get this bad of patterns.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:55 pm

buck -- Not trying to beat you up on this just trying to understand why you are having difficulty.

POA/POI is one area I was going to question you on. It sounds simple but you need to make sure you are hitting the paper with the majority of the pattern. While your paper size isn't the best (32" x 32" if I read you right, 48" x 48" is really nice) it should be big enough to get an idea of pattern center IF you are putting the pattern close to the middle of the paper. If you think the lead sled is the problem then try patterning without it and see how it goes. At 35 yards you should easily be able to center a pattern on the paper if you are using a simple rest. Put an aim point on the paper if it helps you but don't put a 30" circle until after the shot around the densest portion of the pattern. And, shooting a minimum of 3 different pattern shots for an average is really a must. There is just too much variability between shotgun patterns to judge a load/choke by shooting just one and eyeballing it.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:31 pm

I really think its the way I am using the led sled, last year I did not have this problem, I may try and rig up a bigger target, the card table is nice if its windy but I I can use some t-post and clamps.
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:17 pm

I use large paper now a days but I used large cardboard pieces from an appliance store for several years. You might check with some appliance stores and if they don't recycle it you can get washer or dryer boxes that make two nice pattern sheets per box (cut off top and bottom and then cut down opposite corners) or refrigerator boxes where you can get several patterns from one. I did all this cutting at the store with a box cutter and loaded up the pieces. I've heard of guys using bicycle boxes but never check with a bicycle shop but might be worth it if you know of one. Gather all you materials and then wait for a day without too much wind. Take a couple of t-post or something to prop them up and shoot.

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby SB2SX3 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:39 am

I have sbe2 and I shoot pattern master extended range with 31/2 inch #2 and have great range with it. I shoot flooded soybean fields and rice fields and have made shoots 50-60 yards with ease. I had a Carlson tube first and it was good just didn't have great pattern at 45 and beyond. All I shoot is Winchester expert loads with 1550 fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SB2SX3
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:18 pm

I went and patterned some shells without using the Coldwell led sled and turns out is was not the choke it was the led sled or I should say the way I used it. When I just shoot of a folded up wool blanket I got patterns worth counting the hits. At this point my best shell is Remington Nitro Steel 3" #4's @1300 fps.
buckmeister
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:50 pm

The Brileys light modified choke and Remington Nitro Steel 3" #4 put 174 hits in 30 inch circle at 40 yards. Looks like the choke I was concerned about actually might be what I hunt with.

My question is this... will #4's at a velocity of 1300fps. be okay on large mallard ducks out to 40 yards?
buckmeister
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:19 pm

buckmeister wrote:The Brileys light modified choke and Remington Nitro Steel 3" #4 put 174 hits in 30 inch circle at 40 yards. Looks like the choke I was concerned about actually might be what I hunt with.

My question is this... will #4's at a velocity of 1300fps. be okay on large mallard ducks out to 40 yards?

with large mallards, with 1300 fps of 4's you will be at 30 for drt, for very good performance with body its that is.. at 35 yards it brings them down but they can swim ect even with alot of blood being presents on breast ect. head and neck alot further out but a guy should not rely on those hits on waterfowl that far out...so to answer my experience with that shot size and speed you get about 33 yards tops with good centered shot on large mallards.

hope this helps you out

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:41 pm

What about #3's at 1300? Would that get me out to for big mallards?
buckmeister
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:25 am

buckmeister wrote:What about #3's at 1300? Would that get me out to for big mallards?

40to43 yards with body hits only and with enough body hits (pellet strikes)..beyond that it brings them down but cripples/swimmers is higher percentage of down birds past those yardages. and of coarse further with head/neck hits.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:25 am

I just went outside and took my laser range finder and got 33 yards away from an object and realize I rarely ever take shots longer than that, where I hunt on a river a good load that has a good pattern to that distance is going to do me fine 99% of the time.
buckmeister
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes