10 gauge reloading

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Re: 10 gauge reloading

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:12 pm

10gaOkie wrote:A shooter normally goes with what he is most successful with. In my case, over the years, I have been most successful with a payload of 1 1/2oz reloading for the big 10. Also, I have been most successful on big geese shooting #1s by far. B shot running a close second choice. Loading #2s is defeating the purpose of the advantage it has over the 3.5" 12ga. I have loaded and tried in vane to have the same success using BB thru TT size pellets. It just has not been there for me using good patterning loads.
As for having a feel for pressure in my loads, I read fired primers to know for sure I have a safe load for both me and my gun. I have found that you dont have to "hot rod" your reloads to get the "hot rod" performance from the 10ga. I tend to like my loads in the 1450 range just fine.
The 10ga is an experience and a blast (fun) to shoot and load for.

Chris

i also like 1 shot(duck/goose combo's) in the 10 gauge but with 1-3/8oz(602 grains) loadings(even 2's works great for ducks/goose combo's).....

i like 1-1/2oz(657grains) of b's and 710 grains of bb and or bbb's also a duplexed load of t's and tt's for pass shotting and long range cripple loads.

those are my favorite shot sizes and weight of steel shot in the loads. the ten gauges tops for very good even patterns. felt or percieved recoil being very light, well to me anyways, over heavy 12 gauge loads. The only other shotgun that keeps up with 10 bores is the the way over bored 12 gauges like the 835/935 mossbergs, with close second being backbored 12's.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby grnhd » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:13 am

Get the status of steel from BP, there is a lot of good loading info in that and there is recipes.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Status ... /00MSTEEL/
You can get everything you need to load a 10ga shell right from them. They have quality wads and pellets.
I personally don't use anything from RSI, I got tired of poor quality wads and shot. And none of the 10ga loads will get listed speeds with the called for primer. And you have to split every wad to the base to get it to pattern good. This doesn't bother some but it does me.
Hope this helps!
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:12 pm

I like using the RSI reloading manual best of all. It is my reloading bible. I also prefer RSI 10ga wads over BPI MM or TPS. I dont mind splitting the RSI wads to the bottom. It has nothing to do with patterns by cutting the slits deeper but it keeps the pellets from sticking to the bottom of the shot cup. My 1 1/2oz load usually have a 1/8" felt under the shot which also keeps the pellets from sticking anyway. I have never had a bad RSI wad yet nor have I run into any bad RSI shot. It has always been good quality. BPI shot is more perfect and polished than RSI shot though which really has nothing to do with pattern quality. Most of my best 10ga recipes use the RSI wad and a Federal hull. I do have one good recipe that uses the MM wad. If you get into 10ga reloading seriously, you will most likely want to try all makes of components to see for yourself.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks guys for all the replies and help.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:30 am

10gaOkie wrote:I like using the RSI reloading manual best of all. It is my reloading bible. I also prefer RSI 10ga wads over BPI MM or TPS. I dont mind splitting the RSI wads to the bottom. It has nothing to do with patterns by cutting the slits deeper but it keeps the pellets from sticking to the bottom of the shot cup. My 1 1/2oz load usually have a 1/8" felt under the shot which also keeps the pellets from sticking anyway. I have never had a bad RSI wad yet nor have I run into any bad RSI shot. It has always been good quality. BPI shot is more perfect and polished than RSI shot though which really has nothing to do with pattern quality. Most of my best 10ga recipes use the RSI wad and a Federal hull. I do have one good recipe that uses the MM wad. If you get into 10ga reloading seriously, you will most likely want to try all makes of components to see for yourself.

Chris

Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:28 pm

War Wagon wrote:One at a time.. :yes:

Nice set up, War Wagon. :bow:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes