What shells?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Re: What shells?

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:28 am

Bottom line: the brand/type of shell you shoot probably has less impact than anything else on your success as a duck hunter.
They'll ALL kill ducks under certain conditions...and most of them will kill ducks under most conditions.

Try a couple of boxes of each type that is available in your area during the next season. By the end of the season, if you shoot as many shells as I do, you'll have formed an opinion on each of them. Good luck.
mudpack
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:36 am

I think it really depends on the situation. I shoot mostly (95%+) decoying ducks, so any #3=#1 load will do. As such, either 7/8 reloads or cheap Winchester steel. Cheaper the better.

For sea ducks, which I shoot once or so a year from a boat in big water - 10 gauge w/BBs or bigger. Not a big duck, but tough, and weather and range are issues.

Works for me, your mileage may vary.

Ducks
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:37 pm

mudpack wrote:Bottom line: the brand/type of shell you shoot probably has less impact than anything else on your success as a duck hunter.
They'll ALL kill ducks under certain conditions...and most of them will kill ducks under most conditions.

Try a couple of boxes of each type that is available in your area during the next season. By the end of the season, if you shoot as many shells as I do, you'll have formed an opinion on each of them. Good luck.

As good and simple as it gets. X2

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes