Advantage of plated shot?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Advantage of plated shot?

Postby buckmeister » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Other than rust protection, what is the advantage of plated shot? I was comparing the shot in Kent Fast Steel to Winchester Drylok and Remington Nitro Steel and the Fast Steel looks more Aero dynamic than the plated shot, the plating gives it rough spots which would cause more drag, am I wrong on this?
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Re: Advantage of plated shot?

Postby Theduckguru » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:11 pm

buckmeister wrote:Other than rust protection, what is the advantage of plated shot? I was comparing the shot in Kent Fast Steel to Winchester Drylok and Remington Nitro Steel and the Fast Steel looks more Aero dynamic than the plated shot, the plating gives it rough spots which would cause more drag, am I wrong on this?

If you are looking at plated shot with rough spots, that is not good. The rough spots will cause velocity loss and fliers. I have a Remington Nitro on my bench cut open and the shot is very good quality. It is so smooth and high polished I can see myself reflected on a #2 pellet when I look at it with a magnifying glass. I personally have had very good experiance with loads containing plated shot.
Last edited by Theduckguru on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 11 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Re: Advantage of plated shot?

Postby Joe Hunter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Buck -- Other than providing rust protection, advantages/disadvantages of plating on steel shot is splitting too many hairs.

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes