Ammo remmington sportsman hi speed steel

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Ammo remmington sportsman hi speed steel

Postby Fresnoduckhunter » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:44 am

How does remmington hi speed Steel compare to other ammo I see that it's very cheap so curious if it's worth looking into. Or just spend the extra and get hevi metal
Fresnoduckhunter
hunter

Re: Ammo remmington sportsman hi speed steel

Postby Huntnharris » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:37 am

Yes they work just as well as anything else. It is all about finding the right shot and choke combo for your gun.
Huntnharris
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:50 am

Sportsman Steel seems to pattern about as well as any of the good quality steel loads. I wouldn't hesitate a second to use them. Hevi-Metal, on the other hand, didn't really offer any advantages over standard steel loads in my pattern testing (I actually got better patterns with regular steel), nor does it offer any more range (its tungsten pellets are sized to just match the ballistic performance of the steel pellets they are paired with). I wouldn't waste any extra money on Hevi-Metal when cheaper loads perform just as well or better.
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:21 pm

About 80% of the two cases or so of ammo I shoot a season is Sportsmen. If you choose the shot size and payload wisely, they should work very well for you....and save you a few dollars in the process.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Fresno -- As other have said, there's nothing really wrong with Sportsman steel loads. And, there's nothing sexy about them, they are just a traditional spherical steel load that will kill ducks. Choked properly and with the right pellet size for the bird and distance you are shooting, if the duck doesn't die it probably has more to do with YOU than the ammo!

Here are a few of my pattern numbers with Sportsman and the Hevi-metal load you mentioned to give you an idea of the kind of pattern performance you might get.

Pattern results from a 12-gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

12 GA 3" REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD
1 1/4 oz #2 steel (152 pellets) @ 1,400 fps
40 YDS
IC (.009" const.) / pattern 76 (50%)
Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 110 (72%)
Full (.037" const.) / pattern 117 (77%)

12 GA 3" HEVI-METAL LOAD
1 1/4 oz (101 #2 regular steel pellets + 63 #5 Hevi shot pellets = 164 pellets & flax seeds) @ 1,500 FPS
40 YARDS
IC (.009" const.) / pattern 70 (43%)
Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 93 (58%)
F (.037" const.) / pattern 116 (71%)

Now you can be the judge, good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:21 pm

I just tore open a Remington Sportsman to compare the shot quality. the steel is a much better quality than Winchester xpert for sure. Not sure why the plastic "pellots" are in there but there were about 8 of those.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:15 pm

buckmeister wrote:I just tore open a Remington Sportsman to compare the shot quality. the steel is a much better quality than Winchester xpert for sure. Not sure why the plastic "pellots" are in there but there were about 8 of those.

the plastic pellets are used by them for spacers making the load tight fit good crimps....is my gueess i have been using those for years in my loads in 12,20 and 10 gauge loads that i have loaded and needed some space taken up for good tight crimp. the plastic pellets would be alot eisier for them to drop in just like the shot faster/less problems involved by formulating powder to fit hull ect.

goose
Attachments
poly stuff beads 2.JPG
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:20 pm

buck -- Yes, Sportsman steel pellets are just normal steel pellets, very uniform and true to size. Plastic pellets are used as a filler to take up space to allow for the proper load height resulting in a good crimp. Remington isn't the only company that uses these.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes