Gaep Crimpers

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Gaep Crimpers

Postby slowshooter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:35 am

I'm not understanding the difference between the sizes of the gaep crimper.

Is the 12 ga #1 significantly different that the #2 and what would cause someone to buy one over the other.

Sort of scratching my head about it. I might migrate there but not sure that it would make a significant difference other than getting less variation between shells. Which isn't a bad thing.

If you guys have some inside dope on these things let me know.

Thanks,
Slow
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: Gaep Crimpers

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:55 am

It is my understanding that the depth is tied somehow to the powder burning rate, BN4 being the best head, deepest, to use with ASteel powder. The OTP or as I call it RTO crimp head is used for roll turn over or Roll crimps with O/S cards but the BN series is a finishing head for six and eight segment crimps.
More data from Solway at: www.gaepreloading.com
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:26 am

The GAEP is totally unecessary. You can get listed velocites just with ordinay fold crimps. Sure they make pretty crimps but I do the same with a taper crimp on my Mini loader. If you are cutting down hulls for a roll crimp then you need a GAEP. I have one. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:07 am

If you are loading large volumes of the same hull and you have been able to acquire a good crimp from your press then as Ned says you really don't need a Gaep head, I do believe however that the velocity standard deviation would show better consistency using a GAEP finishing head. I used just my presses for many years for crimping six and eight segment hulls but when you are frequently loading different loadings in different hulls and even medium volumes then it saves a reset of your press's crimping station because all that is required is to use the crimp starter station and the GAEP will finish the crimp independent of hull length. For a Roll crimp, which I do a lot of, the GAEP is a real joy to use.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:20 am

When you buy one is it just the part that goes in your drill press or is there a fixture ?.. :huh:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:26 am

War Wagon wrote:When you buy one is it just the part that goes in your drill press or is there a fixture ?.. :huh:

It's just the part that goes on your drill press, it has a metric thread so just get a 2" long bolt and cut the head off and put it in the press just like a drill bit.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:30 pm

I went to that site and still couldn't find a detailed description of the differences. Although, I was getting a lot of browser errors, so those page might be there and I just can't see them.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:32 pm

I think BPI has the same thing
War Wagon
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:34 pm

Nope bpi units are different they do almost the same thing though
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:05 pm

War Wagon wrote:I think BPI has the same thing

bpi and precisions reloading are rto finish heads(roll crimp)...i have not tried but there is a review that says that it worked to keep the crimps closed...or something like that. would have to look and see what the review actually say's word for word type deal.

goose

here is the page with the review.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Origin ... fo/ROLL12/
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:37 pm

The numbers are for the taper profiles in ascending scale from bn1 designed for faster burning powders with a slim less angled taper for trap/clay rounds ,bn2 has increased taper profile for medium burn rate powders,bn3 yet more taper for slow burning powders,and the bn4 has the steepest taper and is designed for the slowest of burning eg A.Steel powder.
On the product detail page you can see finished examples ,although im not aware of any browser errors on the site im continualy updating the site every few months or so.You receive the pillar drill threaded bar attachment free with every crimp finisher.
Heres new bn2 loaded 3" hulls by a customer on his lee load all.
solway gunner
hunter

Postby grnhd » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:32 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:The GAEP is totally unecessary. You can get listed velocites just with ordinay fold crimps.

X2. That's all that really needs to be said.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:11 pm

As long as I still have my tooling, I will never load another folded crimp round of steel shot without doing the crimp finish.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:26 pm

It makes a good crimp pretty to look at. It makes bad crimps look better. If you can't adjust a reloading press it will add another step to make your crimps decent.

If you really can't adjust your press and you are a functionally retarded reloader then buy buy one of these tools.

I have killed over 10,000 ducks 3,000 geese without ever using anything other then a reloading press that is properly adjusted.

This item is not needed in any way shape or form.

BUT..... It makes guys feel warm and fuzzy about how good their reloads look.

There is nothing wrong with wasting money on something that makes you feel good. Just don't try and tell those of us who know better that it makes any difference or that it is required in any way.

Try the truth..... I love the way it makes me feel to make reloads that look perfect. I understand that I will miss just as much as I ever did before and that the crimp only serves to make me feel good.

Guys.... You almost have me converted. l If I didn't have so much of the Old man's common sense in me I would own one already.

I love the way those crimps look. They do look a little better then mine do. Keep chipping away at me. I am almost there.Jeff
If steel 2's are so wonderful why did they come out with Bismuth, hevi shot, tungsten, and TSS ? Why do people pay 2 to 5 dollars a shot when all you need is steel 2's? Hmmm......
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:45 pm

Having to invest in the equlpment to do the gaep crimp, is not cheap. First, to buy a drill press, then a hull vise at $50, and two heads, one for 10ga and one for 12ga at $50 a pop each. I started reloading steel shot in 1987 and know how to adjust my press. It was worth every penny to go gaep. My money does not come easy.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:57 pm

I've been reloading for 45 years and I know how to adjust my 3 9000 g's and the 4 Mec Jr's but , when I heard about these tools
I had to try one , it was the BN 2 , as my thought was , I know what my long target loads for games needed to look like ! With
this tool I get better patterns at longer ranges and more consistency in my loads , every-time by adjusting the drill stop for
the same wad pressure and the result of a better looking shell .

All I can say is , I've paid for it many times with my winnings .....So.... I purchased the BN 4......Why not ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:13 pm

What does this hull vise look like ? I only want to do my 10's so clue me in on what I need.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:31 pm

Go to the Ballisitc Products website, they have a pic of their hull vise. It is the one I bought.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:59 pm

war wagon do you have 10 gauge super sizer that would work if you have it already.

other wise here is teh link to bpi's vise:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Hull-V ... info/VISE/

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:28 pm

I used the MEC Supersizer for about 6 months until I had the money to order a hull vise from BPI. I like the hull vise much better and I can keep my Supersizer bolted to my bench where it belongs.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 pm

War wagon.... If you want I will split a 10ga model with you. Jeff

P.S I clamp the super sizer to the table on my drill press. I hold he hull in the sizer with my left hand and run the drill press with my right hand
If steel 2's are so wonderful why did they come out with Bismuth, hevi shot, tungsten, and TSS ? Why do people pay 2 to 5 dollars a shot when all you need is steel 2's? Hmmm......
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Thats how I used my Supersizer, bolting it to the drill press table. Its a pain to have to switch it back and forth the the reloading bench as I bolt mine down to the bench. If one had two supersizers to do this with, it would be diff. However, the BPI hull vise is much easier to work with and I do not use it for anything else.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:03 am

When I ordered my Gaep tool , I also got the shell holder thinking it would be simpler than a shell vise but , I have found

the BPI shell vise to be better , as when I finish several rounds and get lube on my fingers , the Gaep tool allows the hull

to slip and spin . The vise is more positive , holding the shell nice and tight with more consistent wad pressure , I think !
3200 man
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:31 am

The only bad thing about the BPI hull vise is, that you have to readjust it switching from 12ga to 10ga. Alot easier than switching gauge when using two supersizers.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:05 am

A lot of good advice but also some misguided advice too, the BPI roll crimp tool is just that ~ a roll crimp tool, it may also work as a finishing tool on six or eight pedal crimps but if you read their advertisement as referenced here following and above: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Hull-V ... info/VISE/ , you will read that the BPI roll crimp tool is a ROLL CRIMP TOOL and not the next level "FINISHING" tool that the GAEP BN series is, in fact GAEP BN's have four levels of finish crimping. GAEP call their ROLL crimp tool an OTR or at least that is what is inscribed on the tools that I have.

I use 4 MEC Supersizers, 28, 20, 12 and 10, for my different gauge hulls and change the Supersizer by unscrewing 3 wing nuts and replacing that gauge Supersizer with a different one and then tighten 3 wing nuts the change over is accomplished quite quickly, as well as changing the GAEP head from an RTO to/from BN series, its quite quick actually and I do it quite often as I am not loading near the volumes as some of you guys and I like to experiment.
My Sizemaster Presses look after the initial sizing-decapping and the Supersizers are only used for GAEP crimping except for the 28 ga Mec 600 which as a separate operation I screw the Supersizer to the bench or just swing the Drill Press head to the side sometimes and size them with the Supersizer still mounted on the Drill Press. Gaep is then used as Jeff and others have described, I find this method easy and very quick as my left hand only leaves the Supersizer handle to insert or remove the hull and my right hand never leaves the hand crank on the press. Expensive? maybe, but over 50 years it has been amortized to a very low cost along with a bunch of other reloading and gunsmithing related tooling and test equiment.

Larry's comments should convince most TARGET shooters that where money is involved, and IMHO game too, the more CONSISTENT you can make your ammo the better your chances are. I have never seen a comparison of GAEP vs anything else ~ finish crimped patterns or velocity, but my money is on the GAEP having a lot better Standard Deviation.

Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes