Status of Steel 7/8 oz load at 1800 fps

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Re: Status of Steel 7/8 oz load at 1800 fps

Postby steelshotshooter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Peter,

me personally, my go-to powders for any steel shot loads are Blue Dot and Herco...

I also load nothing but 2 3/4" in the 12 gauge, with the heaviest load being 1 oz.. The vast majority of my loads though, are 7/8 oz...

I shoot steel loads for just about everything, dove, quail, pheasant, duck, goose, rabbit, squirrel, turkey, crow, etc.. I've been shooting steel for sporting clays, for the past 7 years and have no complaints about it. I am one who really like shooting steel, and properly loaded, it's really hard to beat!

I am one who does not like, nor do I shoot factory loaded steel shot. If I did, I would probably grumble about it, like a lot of other guys do. You just can't beat a good "light" and "fast" steel load. I've shot doves in 95+ degree weather and I've shot geese down to 15 degrees below 0. I can make my steel loads work for me and I'm probably one of the VERY FEW people, if not the only person that prefers steel to lead - as long as I can load my own....
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:18 pm

culot wrote:
goosepit2007 wrote:
culot wrote:Hi

Any good 1600fps 7/8 or 1oz loads using Longshot and the B&P wads ? For me living in Sweden
Powder is always a problem , i can probably get STEEL but i have to buy 10 bottles .... And we have
a 5kg (aprox 9,5lb) total limit in sweden :sad:

But we are alowed use lead :grooving: ( always something)

/P

here is a very good load with longshot powder and band p 7/8 oz wad with cheddite 23/4inch hulls but have to use a gas seal though:
When i tested this load i did not use buffer, i think buffer is waist in steel shot loads since the shot will not deform like lead does upon set back. i did not use the over shot card either.

L0AD# 60110-999

HULL: CHEDDITE 12ga 2.75”

PRIMER: CH209

PROPELLANT: HODGDON LONGSHOT 34.0 Grains

WAD: BPGS + CSD078 (12ga)

SHOT: 7/8 oz. Steel shot (382 gr.)

BUFFER 10 gr.

FOLD CRIMP: 6-point, OS12 under the crimp

Result: PSI 11000 FPS 1620

Hi,

and thanks for the load, from what i remember BPI say Buffer steel add wight and raise pressure, but i rather skip the buffer
and made a 1oz load of it . have you got the right speed in chrono ?

/ Peter

i dropped the buffer in the load i never use buffer in steel shot loads, i got 1680 fps out of mossberg 835. i would not drop buffer and go up to 1oz loads when using longshot powder. that powder seems to be very tempermental with loads. just slight change and that powder really spikes with pressure. that was press fold crimp of 1/16 inch depth no gaep tool used.

goose.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:47 pm

culot wrote:
steelshotshooter wrote:I don't shoot any loads with STEEL powder. I'm not into trimming wads to make a load fit like what it is suppose to. I have 7/8 oz. loads that run 2,000 fps. and they do nothing I cannot do with a 7/8 oz. load pushing 1,650 fps....

I have pretty much settled on BPI's CLBC wads because I can load 7/8 oz. and 1 oz. loads, the hulls require no trimming and they work with everything from #3 steel to T steel. I also like this wad because it has a crush section that helps lengthen the pressure curve and does spike, like what the "solid" no flex wads can....

hi,

What powder do you use if not STEEL ? I belived STEEL powder was " tha shiit " when i comes to steel ..

/ Peter

steel powder is the powder that you get good speed with lower pressures!!!
there is very good load with alliant steel powder that patterns great in alot of shotguns/choke combo's but you have to trim the wad which is no big deal at all really after drop powder in the hull, just put in wad and mark then now the length that you need them at then trim away. in regular bored 12's you get 1730-1760 fps, over bores like 835/935 mossberg you get 1830-1850fps.

fed gold medal
fed209a primer
45 grains alliant steel powder
23/4" multi metal wad from balistic products
7/8 oz of steel shot(i shoot 3's-b's)
1765 fps
9000 psi

then you have precision reloadings lightning steel 2 manual that has 7/8 oz loads going 1700plus, and 1oz loads going upto 1650 fps with alliant steel powder.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby culot » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:09 am

steelshotshooter wrote:Peter,

me personally, my go-to powders for any steel shot loads are Blue Dot and Herco...

I also load nothing but 2 3/4" in the 12 gauge, with the heaviest load being 1 oz.. The vast majority of my loads though, are 7/8 oz...

I shoot steel loads for just about everything, dove, quail, pheasant, duck, goose, rabbit, squirrel, turkey, crow, etc.. I've been shooting steel for sporting clays, for the past 7 years and have no complaints about it. I am one who really like shooting steel, and properly loaded, it's really hard to beat!

I am one who does not like, nor do I shoot factory loaded steel shot. If I did, I would probably grumble about it, like a lot of other guys do. You just can't beat a good "light" and "fast" steel load. I've shot doves in 95+ degree weather and I've shot geese down to 15 degrees below 0. I can make my steel loads work for me and I'm probably one of the VERY FEW people, if not the only person that prefers steel to lead - as long as I can load my own....

I haven't seen any Blue dot or Herco in Sweden since late -90 :sad:

We have Longshot but no Alliant STEEL

/ P
culot
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:50 am

I have Longshot loads that I am working on but, I have not yet had the time to pressure test them. The only hull I use though, is the Federal Gold Medal. I have over 100,000 of them and ALL 12 ga. loads I test or shoot, will be with that one specific hull. I don't know if you can get that hull over there or not but, the Fiocchi hulls are very close to a direct replacement when it comes to loads, velocity and pressures....
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby culot » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:32 pm

steelshotshooter wrote:I have Longshot loads that I am working on but, I have not yet had the time to pressure test them. The only hull I use though, is the Federal Gold Medal. I have over 100,000 of them and ALL 12 ga. loads I test or shoot, will be with that one specific hull. I don't know if you can get that hull over there or not but, the Fiocchi hulls are very close to a direct replacement when it comes to loads, velocity and pressures....

Back in days late -90 i bought once fired Gold medal hull from BPI , i have always intercahange them with Fiocchi hulls.
I have aprox 2500 primed fiocchi/616 And 2000 primed cheddite/cx2000 hulls. We don't use american hulls anymore
Most of us buy new primed hull from italy , and if we reload the gun club have containers full of cheddite , NSI , fiocci
For free...

I understand if you don't want to publish a Longshot data you havent tested for pressure, but if it is okay with you
I be glad have some in PM :wink: and if you want i can give you a 2 3/4 38gram lead load using Longshot and a Nobel GT or
Z2M wad , it's a real screamer @ 445m/sec and 820 bar this load have been tested in italy and i patterns well with 5-4 plated shot

/Peter
culot
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:00 pm

Peter,

I will gladly give you some of our loads AFTER they have been pressure tested and have proven to be a safe and reliable load. I am a Riflesmith by trade and part of my business is developing loads for wildcat cartridges. Only AFTER loads have been proven safe, effecient, reliable and accurate, are they ever listed. Rifle, pistol or shotgun, all loads have to be properly tested....
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby jake j » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:16 am

Long shot is a good powder if you don't want steel powder or have any. I know there are 1 oz loads in bpi s.o.s. with long shot well over 1600 fps. I'd have to look em up but i thought about using them cuz they can be made quickly on the mec. I settled on the alliant load at 7/8 oz for now at 1765 fps. It patterns so far excellently in my gun with B shot. But yes you trim .325" off end of wad to make it all fit. If you must use steel shot any 1500 fps load with any powder will be effective if it patterns so I wouldn't get worked up if components are limited... just go with what you can find. Jake J.
Coots are the ugly bar whores of duck hunting... they're easy, plentiful, taste and smell just as good as any, and are always there when your itching for some action. Everyone secretly loves to blast em but only the bold take pride.
jake j
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes