Rio Hulls

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Rio Hulls

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:58 pm

A friend just gave me 20 gallon of the blue Rio Hulls. goosepit2007 says some of the ones I sent him (blue cases) had bad cracks in the basewads so I will examine each before loading. I have about 60 gallon of the Rio green and blue hulls. The internal volume is the same with green hulls have higher metal. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Re: Rio Hulls

Postby goosepit2007 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:02 pm

i might add that one of the green rio white basewad was cracked also be carefull with those hulls if you reload them

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby John Singer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:17 pm

The Rio hulls are my least favorite hull for steel reloading. I have a couple of buckets of them.

The primer pocket requires resizing for either Cheddite or Federal primers and the 6 star crimp is not near as nice as either the Cheddite 6-star or Nobel Sport and Estate 8-star crimp hulls.

I have also had more misfires (moisture issues) with this hull than any other hull that I have used.
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:08 pm

I have shot quite a few of these blue Rio Hulls with Lead and Steel loads , looking at them carefully ,i have not found
any cracks in the short base wad but , I use these as pitch loads with a Gaep finish as their volume holds more bigger
size shot than others . I also use Rio primers in these , why make it complicated when you can load such a good load ?

I shy away from the Green Rio's with the tall brass , I haven't taken time to know if good wad pressure could be had
with such a tall base wad in these .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:14 pm

The green hulls have the same volume as the blue ones. I also found cracks in them but not as many and as seveere. The cracks can cause blow offs with the pressure going back into the reciever ruining your gun. The 20 gal of blue Rios I just got have no cracks so now I am contemplating what cause the cracks. I will definetely examine them for cracks before reloading. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby John Singer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:32 pm

3200 man wrote:I have shot quite a few of these blue Rio Hulls with Lead and Steel loads , looking at them carefully ,i have not found
any cracks in the short base wad but , I use these as pitch loads with a Gaep finish as their volume holds more bigger
size shot than others . I also use Rio primers in these , why make it complicated when you can load such a good load ?

I shy away from the Green Rio's with the tall brass , I haven't taken time to know if good wad pressure could be had

3200 man, I take it that the Rio primers fit the hulls well without resizing? Most of my misfire issues have involved using the Fiocci 616 primer. Last season during a good flight day, one of my shells misfired and stuck a wad in a gun. I do not want that to happen ever again.
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:49 pm

John Singer wrote:
3200 man wrote:I have shot quite a few of these blue Rio Hulls with Lead and Steel loads , looking at them carefully ,i have not found

3200 man, I take it that the Rio primers fit the hulls well without resizing? Most of my misfire issues have involved using the Fiocci 616 primer. Last season during a good flight day, one of my shells misfired and stuck a wad in a gun. I do not want that to happen ever again.

Using a Rio primer with a cracked basewad is asking for bad trouble. I use a Super Sizer to resize my shells after removing the primer. This closes the primer hole so I get a press fit with Cheddite primer called for. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:16 am

The ones with the cracked base wads usually have the base wad higher on the spent primer also. They have slipped up in the hull on the ones I have found. The Rio primers work great if you can find them. I have used the primer pocket swager to get them small enough for Fiocchi's but it isn't worth it to go to that much effort. Other hulls that work better. I do like the way they crimp though.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:46 am

flyndutchman wrote:The ones with the cracked base wads usually have the base wad higher on the spent primer also. They have slipped up in the hull on the ones I have found. The Rio primers work great if you can find them. I have used the primer pocket swager to get them small enough for Fiocchi's but it isn't worth it to go to that much effort. Other hulls that work better. I do like the way they crimp though.

these hulls that had cracks the primer sticks up past the basewad about 1/16 of inch. so i would call that low base wad.

these are blue rio target load sporting 32 hull(midbrass height) and green rio top trap shooting hull(high brass), both have the same wad base height. just hull color and brass height is differrent.

if a guy pops the primers out and uses the mec super sizer tool, the primers fit snug...if worried about having duds then put some finger nail polish around the primers. i do not use the finger nail polish with my reloads. have yet to not have one go off even setting in my coat pockets not in plastic zip bags or anything like that.
i have a primer pocket tool and have not used it yet...even with rio and fiochi hulls going down to win209 primers.
these rio hulls have alot of capacity for some very good steel loads. best thing about them is that you can usually get them for free.
goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:02 am

Jon Bergren wrote:The green hulls have the same volume as the blue ones. I also found cracks in them but not as many and as seveere. The cracks can cause blow offs with the pressure going back into the reciever ruining your gun. The 20 gal of blue Rios I just got have no cracks so now I am contemplating what cause the cracks. I will definetely examine them for cracks before reloading. Ned S

Ned.. a lot of the Euro type hulls have basewad cracking as an issue, I've seen it with Rio's, Kemen, Diana's, Fiocchis and a few others.
I'm not sure what causes it either but checking them is a very good idea, I've thrown out hundreds of freebee hulls because of this, not worth taking the chance.
Joe
BT Justice
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:06 am

John Singer wrote:

With STEEL powder the Fiocchi primers are not a good choice, we've tried several STEEL powder loads with them and have gotten very bad results, velocity spreads in the 250 fps range were not uncommon. The Cheddite primers have given us much better results.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby John Singer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:11 am

BT Justice wrote:With STEEL powder the Fiocchi primers are not a good choice, we've tried several STEEL powder loads with them and have gotten very bad results, velocity spreads in the 250 fps range were not uncommon. The Cheddite primers have given us much better results.

I think I learned that the hard way. Do the Rio primers work well with Steel powder?
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:29 am

John Singer wrote:
BT Justice wrote:With STEEL powder the Fiocchi primers are not a good choice, we've tried several STEEL powder loads with them and have gotten very bad results, velocity spreads in the 250 fps range were not uncommon. The Cheddite primers have given us much better results.

I think I learned that the hard way. Do the Rio primers work well with Steel powder?

rio primers are a hotter primer(the flash point(distance of) is perty darn close to fed209a primers), they work great with steel powder but adjust powder if the psi is on the high side already in the published data. they are bigger sized primer of coarse so if you do not have a mec supersizer or primer pocket tool that primer will have to be used in those hulls for the rest of there lifespan.
Last edited by goosepit2007 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:51 am

The Rio primer has the same energy as the Fed 209A and I sub the Rio for the Fed 209A primers. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:03 am

X-2.........I found that out from you Jon ! Thanks again Ned
3200 man
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:01 pm

Yip they sure do split. To bad they load up nice but I don't mess with them just not worth the effort. Cheditte dont seem to split or I have not had issue at least.

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:42 pm

I got 500 of them off of another dhc member.i resize them and have loaded them in lead and steel.never had a problem with 1 of them and I check them very carefully.1 load I tried was 1.5 lead load at 1400 fps thing kicked like a mule.patterned the best of the turkey loads I pump out.they do have nice crimp.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby John Singer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:06 am

I too load my turkey load in the Rio Hull.

My favorite turkey load is:

Rio Hull
25 grains of 800X Powder
CSD 118 Wad
Fiochi 616 Primer (or a Cheddite primer when I resize the primer pocket)
1.5 oz of #5 lead

This load is likely moving slower than 1400 fps. Recoil is not excessive and It patterns 5-10 pellets in the vital zone of the Federal turkey head target at 40 yards with a standard Winchoke full.

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/pdf/Turkey_target.pdf

I have killed several turkeys in the past 10 years with this load out to about 38 yards.
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:23 am

John Singer wrote:I too load my turkey load in the Rio Hull.

My favorite turkey load is:

Rio Hull
25 grains of 800X Powder
CSD 118 Wad
Fiochi 616 Primer (or a Cheddite primer when I resize the primer pocket)
1.5 oz of #5 lead

This load is likely moving slower than 1400 fps. Recoil is not excessive and It patterns 5-10 pellets in the vital zone of the Federal turkey head target at 40 yards with a standard Winchoke full.

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/pdf/Turkey_target.pdf

I have killed several turkeys in the past 10 years with this load out to about 38 yards.

More than likely a lot slower than 1400 fps, here's 800X load data for the Federal Gold Medal hulls with 1 1/2 oz lead shot

IMR

800-X

Fed. 209A

Fed. 12S4

11,200 PSI

IMR

800-X

Fed. 209A

Rem. SP12

11,000 PSI

IMR

800-X

Fed. 209A

WAA12R

11,200 PSI

IMR

800-X

Rem. 209P

Fed. 12S4

10,400 PSI

IMR

800-X

Rem. 209P

Rem. RP12

11,000 PSI

IMR

800-X

Win. 209

Fed. 12S4

11,000 PSI

IMR

800-X

Win. 209

Rem. SP12

11,100 PSI

IMR

800-X

Win. 209

WAA12R

11,000 PSI

BT Justice
hunter

Postby John Singer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:37 pm

I read much of that data before I put my load together. I estimated the velocity to be about 1200 fps. I do not have a chronograph.
The load patterns well and I have had no complaints from any turkeys that I have shot with it.
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Just checked 250 of the latest Rio hulls I acquired which were shot at the local gun club. I found only two hulls that had cracks but one was seveere enought to have ruined a gun. The other had just started to crack. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:29 pm

I only reload Rio Blue hulls that I have shot as New shells . They never hit the ground and with this I know what my chamber size
is ( being nice and true ) not over size . I have not found a cracked base wad , yet !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:05 pm

You guys must be really hard up for hulls if you are using hulls prone to basewad cracking.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Theduckguru wrote:You guys must be really hard up for hulls if you are using hulls prone to basewad cracking.

No, we are not hard up for hulls. This hull just happens to load excellent 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads. All you need to do is examine them for a crack in the base wad before loading. You should look into all hulls before loading. It happens to be one of my favorite hulls to load for about 10 yrs. I also load Cheddites, Gold Medal, Fed paper basewad hulls, AA, and STS. In 3 inch I load Cheddite and Rems. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:45 am

John Singer wrote:I read much of that data before I put my load together. I estimated the velocity to be about 1200 fps. I do not have a chronograph.
The load patterns well and I have had no complaints from any turkeys that I have shot with it.

Figured you did, just thought it was one of those "MAGIC" BP loads that they publish wishful thinking results instead of actual results... :lol3:
BT Justice
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes