Rio Hulls

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: Rio Hulls

Postby BT Justice » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:50 am

Theduckguru wrote:You guys must be really hard up for hulls if you are using hulls prone to basewad cracking.

Not really anything you can get for free especially the way things are currently is a good deal.
I've thrown away hundreds of free pistol, rifle and shotgun empties over the years that weren't any good, however I've also gotten thousands of them for free that were good.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:12 am

Has anyone loaded the HG load Chris has came up with in Rio hulls? I have just put together about 75 of them and haven't tested them out yet. I also didn't check them for cracked basewads.

These hulls are on the ground by the thousand at every gun club in my area.
Baher20018
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:20 am

Baher20018 wrote:Has anyone loaded the HG load Chris has came up with in Rio hulls? I have just put together about 75 of them and haven't tested them out yet. I also didn't check them for cracked basewads.

yes that load is good to go in that hull along with vp wads and mm wads,lbc wads also in this hull....they are very close to cheddite hulls for salt test.

you better check those hulls out for cracks before loading it could be the end to one of the newer aluminum reciever semi auto's. if the hull fails apon firing, also maybe personal injury!!!
a guy should be checking every hull before reloading them back up, the same goes for pistol and rifle brass.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:22 am

deleted double post
Last edited by goosepit2007 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:53 am

goosepit2007 wrote:
goosepit2007 wrote:
Baher20018 wrote:Has anyone loaded the HG load Chris has came up with in Rio hulls? I have just put together about 75 of them and haven't tested them out yet. I also didn't check them for cracked basewads.

yes that load is good to go in that hull along with vp wads and mm wads,lbc wads also in this hull....they are very close to cheddite hulls for salt test.

you better check those hulls out for cracks before loading it could be the end to one of the newer aluminum reciever semi auto's. if the hull fails apon firing, also maybe personal injury!!!
a guy should be checking every hull before reloading them back up, the same goes for pistol and rifle brass.
the rio hulls are very easy to put a very good crimp out, with just the reloading presses. good hulls other then base wads (cracking).
goose

I guess I will be cutting them all apart and salvaging the internal componants. I have so many of these hulls.

I do check condition of my hulls just never looked for basewads cracking. Is this common on any other plactic basewads hulls? Should I be checking my federal gold medals?
Baher20018
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:12 am

BT Justice wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:The green hulls have the same volume as the blue ones. I also found cracks in them but not as many and as seveere. The cracks can cause blow offs with the pressure going back into the reciever ruining your gun. The 20 gal of blue Rios I just got have no cracks so now I am contemplating what cause the cracks. I will definetely examine them for cracks before reloading. Ned S

Ned.. a lot of the Euro type hulls have basewad cracking as an issue, I've seen it with Rio's, Kemen, Diana's, Fiocchis and a few others.
I'm not sure what causes it either but checking them is a very good idea, I've thrown out hundreds of freebee hulls because of this, not worth taking the chance.
Joe

Here's your answer to basewads cracking. All hulls should be checked before reloading. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:53 am

Reloading these Blue Rio's one at a time with steel shot does give a fella time to make sure the base wad isn't cracked !
I would think that any shell shot in a over-size chamber or a chamber that is rough with build-up or rust would cause this ?
Just a thought on my part but , like I said , I haven't found a cracked base wad hull (from New), that I've shot out my gun .
I have bought 50 flats of these Blue Rio's so , I've looked at a few Rio hulls !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Can someone send a picture of a cracked basewad in a rio hull because I just checked all my once fired and didn't notice any cracking
Baher20018
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Baher20018 wrote:Can someone send a picture of a cracked basewad in a rio hull because I just checked all my once fired and didn't notice any cracking

hope this helps

goose
Attachments
rio hulls 040.JPG
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 pm

goosepit2007 wrote:
Baher20018 wrote:Can someone send a picture of a cracked basewad in a rio hull because I just checked all my once fired and didn't notice any cracking

hope this helps

goose

Thanks just found one out of 300 hulls that had a small crack in the base wad like the one all the way to the left in your picture. It happened to be one I already had loaded.
Baher20018
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes