Mec 600 ID? *Pictures

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Mec 600 ID? *Pictures

Postby uglymug » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:33 pm

So I recently got two MEC shotshell reloaders from a garage sale for thirty bucks. One is a Super 600 progressive (The precursor to the 650 I think), and the other is a 600 single stage of some kind. I can't tell because the sticker has come off. I think it's a 600 jr, but I'm not sure if it's the Mark V or not. After doing some research I've heard that getting parts for the super 600 is nigh on impossible so I'm gonna see what I can do with the 600JR. This would be my first time reloading. I'm just wondering what parts I would need to get this thing up and running. I checked out the Mec website I just don't know if this is a pre 1982 or whatever.

Sorry for all the pictures. Hope it helps.
uglymug
hunter

Re: Mec 600 ID? *Pictures

Postby flyndutchman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:38 pm

It is an older model as it has the metal crimp die. They work better than the new plastic ones in my opinion. It is a 600Jr. I have the exact one sitting on my bench. It's stickers are gone too. You need the primer seater assembly and determine which pre crimp you have, 6 vs 8. You can buy the part for the one you don't have. You might also have to replace the wad starter fingers. They are usually orange in color for the older models like you have. MEC's web site has a detailed description to help determine if it is a pre or post model if I remember right. Clean it up good and it will serve you well. If you are going to load lead, buy another bottle for shot or powder and figure out what oz load you want and get the right powder bushing for the powder you are using. If you are loading steel just use your powder scale to measure shot and powder and the press to size, prime, and crimp.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby uglymug » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:42 am

Thanks for the help. Do you recommend those universal charge bars? I've seen mixed reviews on them.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Paulinkansas » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 am

Yes, I would recommend the universal charge bar. If you add up the number of bushings you'd need if you are making a dozen or so different loads, the cost of the U-bar far outweighs the cost of bushings.
Paulinkansas
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes