Hevisteel coming back

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Hevisteel coming back

Postby SMcGarrity » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:02 pm

That's the word on the street...

Can we get an emi rep to confirm?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
SMcGarrity
hunter

Re: Hevisteel coming back

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 pm

SMcGarrity wrote:That's the word on the street...

Can we get an emi rep to confirm?

it is regulars steel pellet loadsand not the same hevisteel pellets used in the past.

patrick posted week or so ago here is copy and past of his post:

Here is the info I got from our HQ and posted a few weeks back.

The new HEVI-Steel is straight steel, 7.8 gr/cc.
12 Ga. 3" 1500 1 1/4 BBB,BB,1,2,3,4.
12 Ga. 3 1/2" 1550 1 3/8 BBB,BB,1,2,3,4.
12 Ga. 2 3/4" 1500 1 1/8 1,2,3.
20 Ga. 3" 1400 1 1,2,3.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:11 pm

I even looked for a previous post (obviously not hard enough).

So it isn't the denser pellet they used from a few years ago? Damnations....I got excited there for a minute.

SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:15 pm

i asked a while back and that is what he posted.

that name is going to throw alot of people off when they see it going into gunshops ect, especially the ones that liked the old hevisteel loads.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:39 am

SMcGarrity wrote:I even looked for a previous post (obviously not hard enough).

So it isn't the denser pellet they used from a few years ago? Damnations....I got excited there for a minute.

I did too. It's almost a bait-n-switch scenario. :mad: :mad:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:30 am

Why does anyone buy from that company? They are entirely unethical.

They've figured out how to stay out of jail by juggling densities each year and tucking the variances under brand names that mean nothing.

The first year a new load comes out it's called "x". The next year the product specific name "x" turns into an umbrella brand name that can have any old crap tucked under there.

Eventually those guys are going to get raided or sued.

(sorry for the initial word jumble. was posting via my phone and that's just unwise)
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:50 pm

they need to come up with another name then hevisteel, there is nothing hevi about it at all. but that will give them some sells, and they know it. not everyone gets on internet and gets on forums ect. so they will have no clue, the only thing over other steel loads right know without pattern work is that the speeds are higher then alot of other factroy loads. and right on with some factory loadings.

goose.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby TexasGeese » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Not surprised one bit. Isn't hevi 13 from them only 12g/cc as well now?
TexasGeese
hunter

Postby micneador » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:11 pm

I was almost shaking with excitement, then I read the comments. :fingerhead:
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:56 am

Thanks for the info goose

SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby dzgolf2 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:49 pm

I know it's not the old, denser Hevisteel, but 1 1/4 oz loads at 1500 fps (if honest velocity) in #1 intrigue me. What are we looking at for prices and availability? Are most standard Hevi-Shot dealers are expected to carry them?
dzgolf2
Newb

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:15 pm

dzgolf2 wrote:I know it's not the old, denser Hevisteel, but 1 1/4 oz loads at 1500 fps (if honest velocity) in #1 intrigue me. What are we looking at for prices and availability? Are most standard Hevi-Shot dealers are expected to carry them?

Good God, people, can we stop grabbing at straws? The only two things that can change things on a per pellet basis is velocity and density. Since we know that if the density is constant, any increase in velocity needs to be astronomical in order to effect any appreciable change in delivered energy/penetration, then it follows that an increase in density is the only alternative to success. A 1500fps #1 steel pellet will deliver the same energy/penetration regardless of the delivery system (within reason). If EMI is truly interested in shedding its cloak of mystique and delivering honest to goodness standard steel loads, great! But, let's not cloud the issue. Most will agree that the effectiveness of loads between 1400 and 1500 fps depend on the wad. What has EMI done to ensure that the patterns from this load will be more effective across a greater range of shotguns? If they are priced competitively and deliver good results, they'll sell. If not, they'll lie with the rest.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby dzgolf2 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Good God indeed! I appreciate the input, will be interesting to see the wads that come in these loads (don't care really if they pattern well), but...I have gotten decent patterns from "true" 1500 fps loads in the past (smaller shot), from most 1 1/4 oz loads (in most shot), and from shot size 1 (albeit quite slower). The combo of the 3 in a 3" hull has seems to be a fine medium for the combo goose/duck work along with wind/big river and decoying situations...if it patterns well. Finding that in a commercial load might be great in my gun and I bet the birds would appreciate the combo of pattern density and energy in a quick death.

My first post, been reading for years, had finally signed up when I had a question a while ago and didn't ask because of people like you. Don't need your lecture, even though you give them freely, remember I've been reading. Time to go back to silence and watch people such as yourself continue on as pretentious internet professionals with no intention of of helping people. Thank you for never answering my question, you were not very helpful.
dzgolf2
Newb

Postby On the X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:28 pm

dzgolf2 wrote:Good God indeed! I appreciate the input, will be interesting to see the wads that come in these loads (don't care really if they pattern well), but...I have gotten decent patterns from "true" 1500 fps loads in the past (smaller shot), from most 1 1/4 oz loads (in most shot), and from shot size 1 (albeit quite slower). The combo of the 3 in a 3" hull has seems to be a fine medium for the combo goose/duck work along with wind/big river and decoying situations...if it patterns well. Finding that in a commercial load might be great in my gun and I bet the birds would appreciate the combo of pattern density and energy in a quick death.

My first post, been reading for years, had finally signed up when I had a question a while ago and didn't ask because of people like you. Don't need your lecture, even though you give them freely, remember I've been reading. Time to go back to silence and watch people such as yourself continue on as pretentious internet professionals with no intention of of helping people. Thank you for never answering my question, you were not very helpful.

Bravo, freakin bravo dz, I too read for years. Some of the guys are real pieces of work for sure. I guess everyone needs a place to reign, even if it's an internet site.
On the X
hunter

Postby RockedEm » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:26 pm

I am all for more competition. Whether they are good or not at their price point will remain to be seen.
But one more player offering steel shot is a good thing guys!

Keep Fiocchi, Kent, Federal, Remington and Winchester battling to bring me the best value steel shot and developing the next thing!
Thanks EMI! Even if I don't buy them I love competition as a consumer an perhaps I will if the value is right.

I still have one box left of the old roll crimped "real" hevi-steel (the fast little brother lol).
Can't bring myself to shoot the last one...roll crimped with a clear disc and buffer inside.
Stuff was killer for the price.

RockedEm
RockedEm
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:37 pm

dzgolf2 wrote:Good God indeed! I appreciate the input, will be interesting to see the wads that come in these loads (don't care really if they pattern well), but...I have gotten decent patterns from "true" 1500 fps loads in the past (smaller shot), from most 1 1/4 oz loads (in most shot), and from shot size 1 (albeit quite slower). The combo of the 3 in a 3" hull has seems to be a fine medium for the combo goose/duck work along with wind/big river and decoying situations...if it patterns well. Finding that in a commercial load might be great in my gun and I bet the birds would appreciate the combo of pattern density and energy in a quick death

Granted, it's not exactly what you mentioned, but have you considered #1's in a 1 1/8 oz load? I run 1 1/8 oz loads in 2.75", and it's certainly one of my favorite loads on the planet. You'll only start with 118-120 pellets, but 80% patterns keep you in the sweet spot, & my experience with that load through my gun is that it consistently patterns in the upper 90's. Getting 1,500 FPS outta an oz & an eighth is pie.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby goosepit2007 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:21 pm

yep reloaders have it easy i have been reloading 1-1/4 oz at 1475 fps(5 shot average) in 3 inch hull that is safe psi for years with very good patterns,25 fps is no big deal.

when they come out i am going to shoot over chrony and get true fps and pattern at the same time...that will tell if the regular steel loads from emi are any good or not and it will depend on the price too if they make it just like frank said. kent, remington ect all ready have very good factory loads that have very good patterns over alot differrent shot guns.

alsolike cannon stated a very good load is the reloads of 11/8 oz shot in 23/4 hulls going 1450 to 1475 fps...patterns are very good from those loads . the reloads of 23/4inch hulls are death to ducks and geese!!!

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:29 pm

I have some old heavy steel. Did not know what it was when I bought it and I still don't know what the big whoop is.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:36 pm

buckmeister wrote:I have some old heavy steel. Did not know what it was when I bought it and I still don't know what the big whoop is.

it was like 10.?gr/cc which is little heavier then regular steel shot ...closest gr/cc there was to old lead shot loads...beyond that not much hoopla there it was not good enough for me to stop shooting reloads of regular steel shot loads.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:08 am

dzgolf2 wrote:I know it's not the old, denser Hevisteel, but 1 1/4 oz loads at 1500 fps (if honest velocity) in #1 intrigue me. What are we looking at for prices and availability? Are most standard Hevi-Shot dealers are expected to carry them?

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/fioc ... p-381.html

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/fioc ... p-380.html

Either one (IMO) a better option.

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/fioc ... p-381.html

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/fioc ... p-380.html

Either one (IMO) a better option.

those are some good factory loads that is already got foot hold on the market here in usa. the new emi regular steel loads, will need to be as good or equal to the fiochi,remingtons, winchester, kents,feds ect that is already on the market . or they will be left in the dust.

especially if they are higher priced i have yet to see a projected dealer pricing yet for the emi's new regular steel shot factory loads that they are supposidly going to call hevi-steel. been checking for prices off and on for last week or so.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby TexasGeese » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 pm

buckmeister wrote:I have some old heavy steel. Did not know what it was when I bought it and I still don't know what the big whoop is.

Don't worry, its not that great anyways.
TexasGeese
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:46 am

Yes you will see Hevi Steel this year. NO, it is NOT the same as the old Hevi Steel. This is a straight steel load coming in at about $10 bucks cheaper then Hevi Metal.

:beer:
rebelcj7
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:51 am

rebelcj7 wrote:Yes you will see Hevi Steel this year. NO, it is NOT the same as the old Hevi Steel. This is a straight steel load coming in at about $10 bucks cheaper then Hevi Metal.

But higher ($$'s) than comparable steel loads already available.

WHY...did EMI label it Hevi Steel when (per your comment above) it is straight steel ?

WHAT...is Hevi about it?

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:03 am

Yuchi1 wrote:
rebelcj7 wrote:Yes you will see Hevi Steel this year. NO, it is NOT the same as the old Hevi Steel. This is a straight steel load coming in at about $10 bucks cheaper then Hevi Metal.

But higher ($$'s) than comparable steel loads already available.

WHY...did EMI label it Hevi Steel when (per your comment above) it is straight steel ?

WHAT...is Hevi about it?

Sure it will be higher then some, but also cheaper then others. Noone is claiming it to be the "cheapest" steel shot load out there, just that it is cheaper then Hevi Metal.

I'll compare apples and oranges for a second... BUT, it's no difference when a "hot sauce" company like for example, Mikes Hot Sauce... comes in a "super mild". It's not hot, but made my Mikes Hot Sauce.

Hevi makes em, so labeled Hevi Steel.

Can't say anything as to how it shoots as I have not had my hands on any. I'm sure I'll try some out when its available. :beer:
rebelcj7
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes