Hevisteel coming back

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Re: Hevisteel coming back

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
SPatrick wrote:Why would I switch to another shell, after I have shot cases upon cases of HM and it has worked great for me?

Maybe because standard, round shot might work better over a longer effective range?

Frank

x2

i have been loading those speeds in all the 12 gauge length with steel for years and they pound up snows/ducks and honkers with ease!!

as long as they pattern right up there they would be close to the reloads that my family has been enjoying for years. with drt results with regular steel shot that is perfectly round.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:41 pm

they should be on shelf here real soon are already...they are in some of my jobbers right know not all the loads but some 3" 1-1/4 loads in 2's and 3's and 31/2 inch in 2's looks like so far that is posted and checked in at jobbers for resale to dealers.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:50 pm

goosepit2007 wrote:they should be on shelf here real soon are already...they are in some of my jobbers right know not all the loads but some 3" 1-1/4 loads in 2's and 3's and 31/2 inch in 2's looks like so far that is posted and checked in at jobbers for resale to dealers.

goose

When they hit the shelves, I'll buy a box and see what they've got. I don't expect much, seeing as how they are nothing but standard round steel, but you never know. There may be something about the wad or powder charge that a particular gun likes. But the performance has to be weighed against what else is out there with cost being a factor. I.E. a 3% increase in performance is hardly worth a 33% increase in price. It's the same old argument with EMI. They like to wiss down your back and say it's raining.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:46 pm

Coming back ????? When did it really come in the first place????
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:49 pm

lostknife4 wrote:Coming back ????? When did it really come in the first place????
Lost

Precisely, take a very good product off the market and then, bring out an inferior product (compared to the original) and package it under the original label.

Got obfuscation? :rolleyes:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Thu May 01, 2014 6:27 am

lostknife4 wrote:Coming back ????? When did it really come in the first place????
Lost

I liked the results and patterns I got from the stuff I bought on sale about 3-4 yrs ago. Think I got it around $14-15 box.

Got a question lost...I've always considered loading my own shells but never looked into the 'all-in' costs to get what you need to get it up and running. Including tss, what is a ballpark price to get started?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:25 am

It's cheaper to buy factory ammo but there is a point that after XX number of shells per time interval it would have been cheaper to load them. It's the old payback analysis calculations.
Costs of components are a function of what you are shooting, but generally primers and shotcups and payload tend to level out almost to a fixed value unless you are using the tungsten and tungsten hybrid alloys where costs can be considerably higher but you will be making ammo that isn't available factory loaded with TSS as an example. TSS is currently US$59.00/lb. Calculating this with a 5/8oz load in 28 ga will yield about 1 box or 25 rds and that cost is only for the shot.
Equipment will be amortized over the lifespan of your loading and if some frugality is exercised at the start ie a MEC 600 instead of a Polar or MEC 9000g then any of the sub gauges or the 10 ga will quickly pay back the cost of the press and ancillary equipment, this is entirely dependent on the quantity and quality of ammo you are consuming. Hulls can be gleaned once fired from shooting ranges or from shooting new ammo and saving the hulls or of course new from the suppliers, this is really the only multiple use component but there are savings.
I haven't made this payback analysis on my equipment, which in some cases is over 50 years old, nor the cost of a reloaded cartridge so I can't honestly tell you what a particular shell costs to load, not like some gentlemen on here who can tell you to the part penny what a particular load in a YY hull using ZZ components will cost, but I hope we get some further input so that we can share these costs just for comparisons. In my case the freight costs are at times almost what the cost of the goods are or so it seems.
Perhaps someone who recently has just started reloading can supply an up to date price for the minimum equipment at least and from that point its a monetary decision to buy or not depending on consumption. Of course what happens is that you shoot a lot more so in the long run you don't really save anything in fact it normally ends up costing more ~ but you do get your gun off a lot more!!!

Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu May 01, 2014 7:32 am

I was looking into reloading pistol ammo when I was shooting a ton, which has slowed considerably due to the little one, but the price to get started is not cheap by any means. I also figured that I would be roughly saving just a few cents a round. When I added it up with the time I was going to spend, the cost of components and equipment, I just continued to buy factory ammo. I wouldn't have seen a pay off until years and years down the road. There is little to no cost savings IMO, its more about enjoyment of producing your own rounds.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:19 am

Gotta agree with you in some respects St. Patrick. I started reloading metallics when I was 14, 69 now, and at that same time I was casting not only bullets but also using one of those pan style pellet casters. I at one time was a dealer for Bonanza and Forster reloading equipment so my equipment costs were paid from sales ie it didn't cost me very much for almost all the metallic equipment I have been using throughout my lifetime, not including the Dillon and Hornady 366 etc., shotshell reloading equipment was a different story altogether.......... However another thing to keep in mind is that if you buy good equipment there is always a reasonable residual value associated with it should you decide to part with it. Moral of the story is buy reasonably new equipment used, and you could almost make money on its resale.
Back to your comments about pistol ammo. I bought a Master Caster Bullet making machine and quickly realized I wouldn't live long enough to use the bullets that machine could cast in a week, the bullets just poured out of it. Eventually it was sold to buy a new Superposed Browning LOL. My point is that by casting my own bullets I could/did cut the cost of 38's and 45's down to about a penny or two over the cost of lube, primer and powder ~ it was cheap at the time and probably still is the cheapest way to go. I always considered my time loading and casting and shooting and hunting as priceless to me so would be hard to put a cost figure on that .
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:48 pm

SPatrick wrote:I was looking into reloading pistol ammo when I was shooting a ton, which has slowed considerably due to the little one, but the price to get started is not cheap by any means. I also figured that I would be roughly saving just a few cents a round. When I added it up with the time I was going to spend, the cost of components and equipment, I just continued to buy factory ammo. I wouldn't have seen a pay off until years and years down the road. There is little to no cost savings IMO, its more about enjoyment of producing your own rounds.

Shaun,

I purchased a centerfire press, etc. a couple years ago to load straight-walled (rifle/pistol) rounds as (at the time) it appeared the gov't was moving toward limiting the ammo supply chain since control of the actual weapons base was (for the time being) unattainable. Figured it would be a decent backup program and a way to produce a form of "currency" should times become dire. Besides, you don't hafta feed/water it 2X per day as well.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Fri May 09, 2014 12:03 pm

lostknife4 wrote:
mudpack wrote:
On the X wrote:Bravo, freakin bravo dz, I too read for years. Some of the guys are real pieces of work for sure. I guess everyone needs a place to reign, even if it's an internet site.

I've noticed, X, that your posts lately seem to mainly be complaints about, or attacks on, some other poster. If that's why you decided to become a member, I suggest you go back to only reading. You were more helpful as a guest.

Lost

^^^^x3^^^^^ !! It amazes me how a thread can get sooooo turned around by one idiot!! I bet he's a barrel of laughs in the blind... :mad: :mad: :mad:
kcwellington
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes