Flour and Water

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Flour and Water

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:51 am

I've had the chance to shoot and pattern the new Winchester LongBeard turkey shells and they are amazing at 40 yards. I got 200 @40 yards in a 10 inch circle with the 3 inch #5's. If anyone has seen these, they have a new idea of putting resin in the shot to hold all of the bb's together for a tighter pattern.

Now, I was talking to a guy and he was telling me that a long time ago when he used to reload his own shells, he'd pour a little flour and water inside with the shot to pretty much do the same thing. He claimed he would be the only one shooting on the lake because he could reach out further than anyone else. Anyone else do or hear of something like this?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Re: Flour and Water

Postby Jim Atlas » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Somehow pouring water INSIDE your shells doesn't seem like a good idea. But I've never done it, so....
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:27 pm

I used to make a paste out of flour and water when I was a kid. I don't think it would hold any shot together after the shell was fired.
mudpack
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:57 pm

mudpack wrote:I used to make a paste out of flour and water when I was a kid. I don't think it would hold any shot together after the shell was fired.

This is what I was refering to. He'd make a paste. I ask because I thought of the new LongBeards made by Winchester.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:18 pm

What I read is that the resin in the longbeard loads shatters on load setback in the wad and acts like a very precise buffer. There was an article where the guy compared longbeards to Remington and Hornandy turkey loads. It did perform at close to 2:1 at range as advertised by Winny. I am 100% going to give them a test run on the pattering board.

Ducks
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:24 pm

C M Wings wrote:What I read is that the resin in the longbeard loads shatters on load setback in the wad and acts like a very precise buffer. There was an article where the guy compared longbeards to Remington and Hornandy turkey loads. It did perform at close to 2:1 at range as advertised by Winny. I am 100% going to give them a test run on the pattering board.

Ducks

I'd be interested to see your results. Also, good luck finding them. I had a lot of trouble finding the ones I wanted online. But I guess people have been buying them locally.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Anyone that doesn't understand how Flour was added to a payload , better have good insurance and a half dozen barrels
to blow-up trying these loads ! Done properly ,yes it works but high pressure is nothing to play with . There are better
buffers to add to a load that is more safe and with the instructions reloading companies supply with the buffer , You'll
at lease have an idea of what you are doing !

Only a FYI :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:26 pm

If one had a cushioned wad that contained all the shot, taped the slits to make the wad a water tight container, added the shot in a slurry, let it dry, then removed the tape and loaded the wad/shot charge, I suppose it might work. But I suspect the flour would stick to the shot and doubt flour would cushion the shot very effectively.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:00 pm

flour does work by in self as I've shot many loads with it in my old 870's but , getting to carried away with it can cause
trouble , any time you add a buffering agent to the shot ( for set-back ) it raises the pressure so , there are limits to a
good load and the hospital or blown-up gun ! :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Loose Wire » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:28 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:I got 200 @40 yards in a 10 inch circle with the 3 inch #5's.

What gun, barrel length and choke were you using?
Loose Wire
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:08 am

This is starting to remind me of the hillbillies that make slug loads out of bird shot by adding wax to the load.
Whenever you take a mass of shot and try to make it a solid mass, one thing you can expect is pressures to rise greatly, not something anyone who really isn't sure of what they are doing should be messing around with.
The new Winchester loads sound interesting but hopefully they did enough testing on these to insure the solid mass does break up, Winchester seems to be coming up with a new Designer load ever year and we all know how well their Blind Side loads work.........NOT.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:26 am

Loose Wire wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:I got 200 @40 yards in a 10 inch circle with the 3 inch #5's.

What gun, barrel length and choke were you using?

26 inch with a Primos Jellyhead. It wasn't the new model of choke tube, but I don't think that matters. Clean the barrel before patterning.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Loose Wire » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:06 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:26 inch with a Primos Jellyhead. It wasn't the new model of choke tube, but I don't think that matters. Clean the barrel before patterning.

Thanks. The best load I have is 3" Win HD #6 out of a 21" 1187 OB to .740 using a Trulock .670 (.070 constriction). 195 in a 10" circle, 40 yds. Fortunately I have a lifetime supply of those boolits. Equivalent to lead #5.

But have some Win LB 3" in #5 and #4 sitting here, hopefully will try in a few days when the wind dies down.

Also got the Trulock Fed HW#7 chokes in both 12ga (.650) and 20ga (.555) to try with the 3" Fed HW#7. Also equivalent to lead #5.

Never ends, does it?
Loose Wire
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:46 pm

There are lots and lots of posts on Old Gobbler related to longbeards and patterns.

Seems the way to bet is short barrel, tight choke. Guys with 21-24 inch barrels and .655 - .665 chokes are putting up big numbers in ten inches at 40 yards. Of course shot size drives this too; #6's really pack them in there.

Great site for turkey info - guys are just as friendly and helpful as guys here. I'm sure there is a lot of cross over.

If you think duck hunters are crazy fanatics.... check it out!! You will feel like a normal human being.

Ducks
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:32 pm

C M Wings wrote:There are lots and lots of posts on Old Gobbler related to longbeards and patterns.

Seems the way to bet is short barrel, tight choke. Guys with 21-24 inch barrels and .655 - .665 chokes are putting up big numbers in ten inches at 40 yards. Of course shot size drives this too; #6's really pack them in there.

Great site for turkey info - guys are just as friendly and helpful as guys here. I'm sure there is a lot of cross over.

If you think duck hunters are crazy fanatics.... check it out!! You will feel like a normal human being.

Ducks

Different vibe over there as well. Little more calm. Smells nice.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes