Tighter choke

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Tighter choke

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:00 pm

Sorry for the long post in advance!

Ok so I've been reading the forum for a while and know I am left with a delima of what choke to chose. I have gathered there is no one right answer due to patterning. However, as of now I am shooting a SBE2 with a kicks high flyer full. Love the set up and I do well with it over the last couple of years.

I am in the market for a tighter choke for the rare times I pass shoot honkers and for the couple times a year I get to snow goose hunt. Most days it will not be needed as we do get birds in tight but on light wind days it is hard to get them to finish.

My favorite round is kent 3" #1 and #3s pushing 1560. I think they are a very good round and have shot them for the last 9 seasons. I was going to get a terror .675 but they don't make it anymore for my model. I have tried extended range patternmasters with very poor results. I have heard guys recommending these trulock super waterfowl #2 model for the shells I'm shooting. I don't have any experience with trulock but I like the 60 money back they offer. Are there any other I should really look at. Hopefully I can get it in and have it for my trip next week.

Thanks


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
User avatar
Nelliboy2
hunter
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Brink of hell


Re: Tighter choke

Postby 11-87 Va » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:01 pm

I really like the Carlson improved mod. I am shooting it in a Remington. It is .705 which is about as tight as I want to get with steel. This also doubles as a killer choke for dove. Rio 2 3/4, 1350 fps, 7 1/2s.
I am second

Minus One
11-87 Va
hunter
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:40 am
Location: Virginia

Re: Tighter choke

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:11 pm

I shot a Trulock Steel Full out of my shotgun. Devastating on geese but too tight for duck hunting. I just ordered a Carlsons extended light mod from C.T.D for $13
Honk-n-quack
hunter
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:54 am
Location: Eugene Oregon

Re: Tighter choke

Postby KRB » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:12 pm

I would go with the Trulock super waterfowl. Great customer service, Quality chokes.
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 1981
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: Tighter choke

Postby Loose Wire » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:15 pm

You have raised several points here, so will address one at a time.

I own quite a few Trulocks, different guns and gauges. You will be hard pressed to find a choke that has their quality, fit and finish, so ya, I would recommend them as a general statement.

As far as a choke for pass shooting Canada's, first go buy a box of BB for that 12 gauge. I hunt Canada's extensively, most of the time later season in tough weather conditions, use my SP10's, mostly BBB, sometimes BB or T's. Long range, imo, for Canada's would end at 50 yards with BB, and that would be straight up, less if otherwise, no shot smaller, in 12 gauge.

The Kick's Full you have is a .020 constriction. Lead Modified. You may find this throws the best pattern for BB out of your 12 gauge. So try that first. I use a .015 choke in my SP10's with lettered shot. Pattern at 40 yards, for comparison reasons, but also the ranges you expect to shoot.

I haven't shot Snow's since the days of lead, but shot piles of them in Manitoba with lead #4. I would expect your steel #1 to work fine, perhaps a tighter choke, say .025 (Kick's Extra Full, or Lead Improved Modified). The BB would be worth trying as well.

As far as the birds not finishing in a wind, what we would do in that event would be to blind up 100 yards down wind. That usually did the trick.

As far as returning a choke, guess you can do that, but why not have boxes of them like many of us :smile:

OK, now on to those who "stoned' a Canada with steel 4 at 97 yards................
Loose Wire
hunter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Tighter choke

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Loose Wire wrote:You have raised several points here, so will address one at a time.

I own quite a few Trulocks, different guns and gauges. You will be hard pressed to find a choke that has their quality, fit and finish, so ya, I would recommend them as a general statement.

As far as a choke for pass shooting Canada's, first go buy a box of BB for that 12 gauge. I hunt Canada's extensively, most of the time later season in tough weather conditions, use my SP10's, mostly BBB, sometimes BB or T's. Long range, imo, for Canada's would end at 50 yards with BB, and that would be straight up, less if otherwise, no shot smaller, in 12 gauge.

The Kick's Full you have is a .020 constriction. Lead Modified. You may find this throws the best pattern for BB out of your 12 gauge. So try that first. I use a .015 choke in my SP10's with lettered shot. Pattern at 40 yards, for comparison reasons, but also the ranges you expect to shoot.

I haven't shot Snow's since the days of lead, but shot piles of them in Manitoba with lead #4. I would expect your steel #1 to work fine, perhaps a tighter choke, say .025 (Kick's Extra Full, or Lead Improved Modified). The BB would be worth trying as well.

As far as the birds not finishing in a wind, what we would do in that event would be to blind up 100 yards down wind. That usually did the trick.

As far as returning a choke, guess you can do that, but why not have boxes of them like many of us :smile:

OK, now on to those who "stoned' a Canada with steel 4 at 97 yards................

You think it would be worth buying the kicks extra full or proceed with the trulock? Also the company recommend the #2 super waterfowl. Idk if that's the one your are referring to. I only know that .700 is what my kicks is and that trulock recommend .685. Your .025 is kinda throwing me off. Lol


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
User avatar
Nelliboy2
hunter
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Brink of hell

Re: Tighter choke

Postby Loose Wire » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:19 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:
Loose Wire wrote:You think it would be worth buying the kicks extra full or proceed with the trulock? Also the company recommend the #2 super waterfowl. Idk if that's the one your are referring to. I only know that .700 is what my kicks is and that trulock recommend .685. Your .025 is kinda throwing me off.


Industry standard for (12 gauge) Lead Modified is .020 constriction. Lead Improved Modified is .025. And that would be considered Steel Full and Steel Extra-Full, just as designated by Kick's (Kick's HF tube designation refers to steel shot, not lead).

I don't own an SBEII, so can't measure the bore, but according to CNC (Kick's sister company), nominal bore diameter is .723 on that gun (see specifications):

http://www.comp-n-choke.com/product/WSBEII12g.html

Kick's choke tube diameters are listed here:

http://www.kicks-ind.com/mm5/merchant.m ... =HighFlyer

Note Kicks list exit diameters of the SBEII tubes as "Full .702 and Xtra-Full .697.

Therefore, constrictions are Full .021 (lead Modified) and Xtra-Full ,026 (lead Improved Modified).

Hope that clears up my earlier references.

Large shot typically requires less constriction then small shot to shoot the same pattern percentage (say #2 vs BB).

Steel BB is notorious for getting high pattern percentages with .020 constriction. But .015 thru .025 are worth trying.

The .685 you refer to would be .038 constriction if your bore is indeed .723. That is very tight for any size steel, but not familiar with that tube design (assume you are referring to the Trulock Super Waterfowl #2) so I am not questioning it's effectiveness.

The point I was poorly trying to make earlier, your existing Kick's Full is .020 constriction. It will likely pattern BB tighter then the #3 and #1 you have been shooting, so give it a try with steel BB for the longer range you desire. You may not have a "dilema" afterall. If you think the gun can do better with the BB, sure try the Kick's Xtra-Full (.025) as long as you are happy with those tubes anyway. Worse case, it may shoot the #1's even tighter for your long range Snows.

Besides, this is how we wind-up with "boxes 'o stuff" :clapping:
Loose Wire
hunter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Tighter choke

Postby 3200 man » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:32 am

Loose wire , This ones for you ! :beer:

This kinda falls true for most Waterfowl or steel shot chokes , the constriction of the choke is the determining factor
as to it's ability for different size steel shot . By educating yourself ( asking ) fellas on this forum that know , is the
first step , then patterning in your gun is the proof of the pudding to better performance of what shell you choose to shoot !

Knowing your Bore Size Diameter is a big help when selecting a choke , any choke ! :hammer:
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Tighter choke

Postby Theduckguru » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:57 am

Nelliboy2 wrote:Sorry for the long post in advance!

Ok so I've been reading the forum for a while and know I am left with a delima of what choke to chose. I have gathered there is no one right answer due to patterning. However, as of now I am shooting a SBE2 with a kicks high flyer full. Love the set up and I do well with it over the last couple of years.

I am in the market for a tighter choke for the rare times I pass shoot honkers and for the couple times a year I get to snow goose hunt. Most days it will not be needed as we do get birds in tight but on light wind days it is hard to get them to finish.

My favorite round is kent 3" #1 and #3s pushing 1560. I think they are a very good round and have shot them for the last 9 seasons. I was going to get a terror .675 but they don't make it anymore for my model. I have tried extended range patternmasters with very poor results. I have heard guys recommending these trulock super waterfowl #2 model for the shells I'm shooting. I don't have any experience with trulock but I like the 60 money back they offer. Are there any other I should really look at. Hopefully I can get it in and have it for my trip next week.

Thanks


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk


For pass shooting big honkers, you will want some BBB.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:54 am

Re: Tighter choke

Postby Gcdhunter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Save the money get a Carlson extended imp mod. Its all the choke you need
I hate goose poop on my golf course
Gcdhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: buffalo

Re: Tighter choke

Postby 11-87 Va » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Gcdhunter wrote:Save the money get a Carlson extended imp mod. Its all the choke you need

:thumbsup:
I am second

Minus One
11-87 Va
hunter
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:40 am
Location: Virginia


Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eastcoastsoxfan, Exabot [Bot], possumfoot and 10 guests