mec jr reloading

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

mec jr reloading

Postby frank » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:47 am

My dad has a pre 1985 mec jr. 600. he gave to me a few years ago which only reload 2/3 and 3 inch shells. I want to start reloading 3.5" shots. I contacted Mec and there is a conversation kit to make it 3.5" for $40.69. Instead of getting a new press.

I pay $29.99 per box plus taxes for the shells I use. it works out to be about $1.35 per shell. I know I can get cheap shots but that is what they are cheap. This past season I shot well over 200 shells. will I be saving money on reloading myself. Im not worried about factoring in my time that will be involved in doing this.
The only thing I have is the press, so ill be starting basically from scratch. I have been doing some reading on everything I will be needing, but help from the experts will greatly appreciated, on brand names, type and anything else.

Thanks everyone in advance
Frank
frank
hunter

Re: mec jr reloading

Postby goosepit2007 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:26 am

frank wrote:My dad has a pre 1985 mec jr. 600. he gave to me a few years ago which only reload 2/3 and 3 inch shells. I want to start reloading 3.5" shots. I contacted Mec and there is a conversation kit to make it 3.5" for $40.69. Instead of getting a new press.

I pay $29.99 per box plus taxes for the shells I use. it works out to be about $1.35 per shell. I know I can get cheap shots but that is what they are cheap. This past season I shot well over 200 shells. will I be saving money on reloading myself. Im not worried about factoring in my time that will be involved in doing this.
The only thing I have is the press, so ill be starting basically from scratch. I have been doing some reading on everything I will be needing, but help from the experts will greatly appreciated, on brand names, type and anything else.

Frank

not to be rude but i have been killing all my ducks and geese with 23/4 inch reloads of steel from 7/8oz-11/8 oz loads with no problems. the cost will be down to 8 to 9 bucks(.36cents each shot) a box of reloads. it is kind of mind game if you are used to shooting 31/2inch loads, but your shot to shot will have clear picture and you will have faster follow up shots. if want 1's-bbb's 1-1/4 oz 3 inch loads will cover those shot sizes. the 7/8 oz loads of steel are = to the old lead 1-1/8 oz loads,1oz of steel is = too 1-3/8 oz of lead, 1-1/8oz steel is = too11/2oz of lead, 1-1/4 of steel = too 1-3/4oz of lead .

between 23/4 loads and the 3" steel loads they will cover all shots to 60 yards, with that being said most waterfowl hunters can not hit them at 40 yards on consistant basis. the lighter 23/4" loads have plenty of density at 40 yards.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby d_money » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:05 pm

I agree with goose also unless you find one load and stick to it you won't save much money at all. Most of us have several types of wads, hulls, shot sizes, primers and powders. Yes if u stick to one load and only ever load that on u could save some money but most of us are tinkers and continue to buy different things trying to find a even better load. If u are only shooting 200 rounds per year then your savings will be very small each year. I personally hunt about 90 day per season and average about a box of shells per day I also load for me and my two main hunting partners so we go through well over 1000 shells per year. If u are open to smaller shells u could buy all the stuff for Chris's hg load or holy grail is what it's called search the forum there is plenty of info on it and start there. Several people are getting 80-90% patterns with it.
d_money
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Frank,

That pre 85 600jr will certainly out live me, you and probably your children. They're great machines (I have 4 in various gauges). But, they can be a bit of a pain to change over and set up. And while you may only do it once, likely as not, at some point, you'll want to expand your horizons and reload more than just one hull size. I also agree with the others about not needing 3 1/2 inch shells. You can load 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells with your current setup and do it cheaper than you could load 3 1/2 inch loads. And they'll kill ducks and geese as far as you can shoot.

What I would recommend is that you get yourself another 600jr. They can be had on Ebay for just about the cost of that 3 1/2 inch conversion kit. Set one up for 2 3/4 inch and the other for 3 inch. This way, you can load up target shells and spend the summer at the skeet range. I guarantee that after a year of that, you will have spent a good bit less and shoot a whole lot better. You'll also recognize how unnecessary the 3 1/2 inch loads are.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:25 pm

I just bought the length change plate adapters. Just another solution for the quick length change. The only 3-1/2" I load are 10 ga but lately I've been loading the 2-7/8" 10 ga with TSS.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:26 pm

frank wrote:My dad has a pre 1985 mec jr. 600. he gave to me a few years ago which only reload 2/3 and 3 inch shells. I want to start reloading 3.5" shots. I contacted Mec and there is a conversation kit to make it 3.5" for $40.69. Instead of getting a new press.

Frank
IF you decide to load 3 1/2" 12ga. Just buy the steelmaster or sizemaster. It gives you the collet sizer on the machine and you will not have to buy the MEC supersizer. When you add up the cost of the adapter and the supersizer. You are most of the way to the new sizemaster cost. Keep the 600 for 2 3/4" you will need it.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:45 pm

If I were in your position I would buy the length change adapter plates and a Supersizer. IMHO in the long run you will have everything you need for many many years and the equipment for roll or finishing with a GAEP head and also with the addition of a desk mount drill press.
Your 600 should load 2-3/4" and 3" but if you have read very much on DHC you will find that your best lifetime shooting/reloading economy is with the 2-3/4" shells and you will give up very little with these compared to the 3" and IMHO give up nothing from the 3-1/2".
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes