solway gunner wrote:Mugzwump wrote:solway gunner wrote:Mugzwump wrote:solway gunner wrote:Mugzwump wrote:Beretta06 wrote:3200 is correct in saying 1oz of #3s is perfect for a decoying load for ducks. I tinkered with 4s and 5s. Go with the 3s. Although in the Central Valley at some point we will have rain and tule fog. I ounce 4s or 5s with my cylinder choke works nice when your max range and visibility is in that 30-35 yard range.
For me I combine a decoying and short passing load. Rsi #88 the majority of my work is done in the 30 to 50 yard range. I just don't take shots over 50yd anymore. It's 470gr of steel close to 1 1/16oz of steel 3s 1730fps. I like to keep the pellet count up as we shoot a lot of greenwings. Pattern density is key with small ducks. If I were shooting medium and large only. I might drop to 7/8oz or move up to #2s or #1s
For windy days I shoot 1 1/8 oz #2s @ 1595 or 1 1/4oz #2s 1615fps windy days is a parade of big ducks at our club.
I shoot an Italian gun don't worry you will find the right combo it just takes some effort. I'm still working at it. I'm going to work on a few recipes over the summer out of the rsi book.
I shot 3.5" 1 1/2 oz @1500fps for 10 straight years 60 + yards is doubtful.
Good luck stay in contact on your project
Just curious as to why anyone who would choose to shoot a 7/8 oz load at birds wouldn't just shoot a 20 gauge that day?
why ? because the bigger bore always affords the best pattern with a shorter shotstring,is not as restricted by pellet size, has less recoil in like for velocitys and will always have a lower breech pressure which in turn has a detrimental effect on patterns,thats why.
Pretty sure you and I covered that in our last discussion solway... with that thinking we all should be using 10 gauges.
Not strictly true as the 12ga covers 99% of wildfowling senarios,all other gauges inc 10ga make up the other 1% ,yet this is 20ga 7/8oz v 12ga 7/8oz and 12ga wins by the very same principle as the 10ga wins over the 12ga,and so on.The bigger the bore size the more effective the gun shall be in any given situation with like for payloads.
Now theres a reply brimming with intellect.
Didnt figure that it was too much of a commonsense reply for you to comprehend.I was wrong.
Next time you go down to disneyland with yer red ryder be sure and shoot them 10-15ft birds you like a sittin now wont ya..
Sorry I just didn't want to get back into that whole discussion. All I meant was that you can spin this stuff any which way to make it sound like your opinion is more right... which is what you did... no harm no foul there we all do it. Back to the OP's Q.