Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby NWiowaCutinGreen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi guys. I'm making a trip up to ND this October and will be field hunting Canada's and Mallards. It will be a 50/50 bag harvest between Mallards and Canada's from what I am told. I have shot Hevi-Metal 12 gauge 3" 3's 1 1/4 oz shot for the last few years with incredible success.

When you guys field hunt and have a mix bag of Mallards and Canada's, what shot size are you running if you don't stack shells?

I think I'm going to load my gun up with 1st and 2nd round of shells being Hevi-Metal 3" #2 shot and the 3rd round switch to 3" BB's.

If you guys shoot just one load for both birds, what do you shoot?

Thx
NW
"I'm just a young prick that lives in the hills that owns too many guns" -- Shooter
User avatar
NWiowaCutinGreen
hunter
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: Iowa


Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby baltz526 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:16 pm

I get days with mallards and Canada geese in the decoys. I have a few loads I use, but probably the best is 1 1/4oz of #1 steel. Most manufacturers make it in a 3" 12ga.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
User avatar
baltz526
hunter
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Lapine Oregon

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Rob MacK » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:44 pm

baltz526 wrote:I get days with mallards and Canada geese in the decoys. I have a few loads I use, but probably the best is 1 1/4oz of #1 steel. Most manufacturers make it in a 3" 12ga.



Plus one here.

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:56 am
Location: ON,Canada

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:02 pm

I agree with you guys, a 3" 1 1/4oz load is a fine all around choice and gets the job done on both ducks and geese. Before I learned better, I too tried mixing shells in my gun. I quickly found it was not worth the effort and easy to get mixed up not knowing what I had in the chamber all the time. I pick one load and stick with it. Thats my advise for the best success.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:50 pm

I run one load in the gun. I don't like mixing shells as the change in speed throws me off. If I know I'm going to shoot geese I will run 3" #1 Kent's either 1560 or 1425.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
User avatar
Nelliboy2
hunter
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Brink of hell

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:I run one load in the gun at a time. I don't like mixing shells as the change in speed throws me off (ie 1459 on 1560 fps). If I know I'm going to shoot geese I will run 3" #1 Kent's either 1560 or 1425. Which ever you choose just be consistent with the fps. #3s are a wicked load for ducks if you are making less than 40 yard shots.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk



Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
User avatar
Nelliboy2
hunter
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Brink of hell

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby mudpack » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:24 pm

NWiowaCutinGreen wrote:I think I'm going to load my gun up with 1st and 2nd round of shells being Hevi-Metal 3" #2 shot and the 3rd round switch to 3" BB's.

If you guys shoot just one load for both birds, what do you shoot?


If it were me, I'd just go with the 2's and keep your goose shots inside 35 yards. That should be doable in N. Dakota. :thumbsup:

(I kill whitefronts and Canadas every season with #3 steel while set up for ducks. Just let the big birds come on in and they die the same as a pintail.)
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5917
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Theduckguru » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Rob MacK wrote:
baltz526 wrote:I get days with mallards and Canada geese in the decoys. I have a few loads I use, but probably the best is 1 1/4oz of #1 steel. Most manufacturers make it in a 3" 12ga.



Plus one here.

Rob


Add another.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:54 am

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby clymerfowler » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:24 pm

3" 1 1/4 #1s, 3" 1 1/4 BBs, 3" 1 1/8 #2s. i use all three just depends on what box i grab. kent faststeel for the BB and 2s and winchester expert for the 1s
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:47 am
Location: Clymer, NY

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby nitram » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:19 pm

mudpack wrote:
NWiowaCutinGreen wrote:I think I'm going to load my gun up with 1st and 2nd round of shells being Hevi-Metal 3" #2 shot and the 3rd round switch to 3" BB's.

If you guys shoot just one load for both birds, what do you shoot?

If it were me, I'd just go with the 2's and keep your goose shots inside 35 yards.


+1

A 3" 1.25oz load of #2 around 1400-1500fps will do everything you want, realistically speaking.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
User avatar
nitram
hunter
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: West OK on the South Canadian Riviera

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Mugzwump » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:20 pm

All depends on the distance you'll be shooting.

I would bring #2's and BB, maybe a box of BBB and a box of the 3's just in case the hunt goes extreme either way... You'll have better success with the larger pellets on the Canada's.. they can be hard to bring down especially with a full winter coat of feathers. If you have mallards on top of you getting all squirrelley you'll be happy you brought the 3's.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby rainingmallards » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:33 am

I agree with the above poster on using 2's and BB's....Canada's are big birds and you might need
the larger shot size if they are weary....Good Luck and share some pictures of your hunt
rainingmallards
hunter
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:35 am

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Loose Wire » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:53 am

NWiowaCutinGreen wrote: what do you shoot?


Two guns in the pit.

SP10 with BBB for Canada.
1187 with #2 for mallards.
Loose Wire
hunter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Mugzwump » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:03 am

Loose Wire wrote:
NWiowaCutinGreen wrote: what do you shoot?


Two guns in the pit.

SP10 with BBB for Canada.
1187 with #2 for mallards.



That legal? Up here if we carry two guns in the blind one must remain unloaded and in it's case. Otherwise it infringes on the 3 shot restriction.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Loose Wire » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Mugzwump wrote:That legal?


Yup. Federal regulations are silent on the matter, state regulations govern.
Loose Wire
hunter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby UmatillaJeff » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:26 pm

We can have as many guns as we want In Oregon as you can only shoot one at a time.

I would shoot a Kent BBB 3 inch 1 1/4 through a Mod or LM choke. This will kill everything you shoot at that is within 50 yards dead. if you shoot no more then 35 yards anything will work.Jeff
Duck hunters chat.. a place where people who never shoot past 40 yards explain how to do it better to the guys who do it all the time.
UmatillaJeff
hunter
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Loose Wire » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:03 pm

UmatillaJeff wrote:We can have as many guns as we want In Oregon as you can only shoot one at a time.
Attachments
YosemiteSam.jpg
YosemiteSam.jpg (8.66 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
Loose Wire
hunter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby UmatillaJeff » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:01 pm

Loose Wire wrote:
UmatillaJeff wrote:We can have as many guns as we want In Oregon as you can only shoot one at a time.


That's shotguns loosewire!
Duck hunters chat.. a place where people who never shoot past 40 yards explain how to do it better to the guys who do it all the time.
UmatillaJeff
hunter
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Mugzwump » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:37 pm

Loose Wire wrote:
UmatillaJeff wrote:We can have as many guns as we want In Oregon as you can only shoot one at a time.



Yea I always thought it was an odd rule... but I guess if you were to sit there with 3 or 4 guns loaded, it's pretty quick to switch guns.

You guys have the 3 shot rule too? I know there was a lot of talk they were going to ditch it around here.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Loose Wire » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Mugzwump wrote:You guys have the 3 shot rule too?


Yes to answer your question.

From a practical stand point, I might average two shots on a flock anyway, as the birds are outa there, especially in a wind. Grabbing a second gun and using it effectively would be out of the question.

Fortunately the earth is round, they'll be back.
Loose Wire
hunter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Mugzwump wrote:
Loose Wire wrote:
NWiowaCutinGreen wrote: what do you shoot?


Two guns in the pit.

SP10 with BBB for Canada.
1187 with #2 for mallards.



That legal? Up here if we carry two guns in the blind one must remain unloaded and in it's case. Otherwise it infringes on the 3 shot restriction.

Mugz.

Why wouldn't it be legal? They only state that a gun must have a plug and can only hold 3 shells for waterfowl.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
User avatar
Nelliboy2
hunter
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Brink of hell

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Rob MacK » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:30 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:
Loose Wire wrote:
NWiowaCutinGreen wrote: what do you shoot?


Two guns in the pit.

SP10 with BBB for Canada.
1187 with #2 for mallards.



That legal? Up here if we carry two guns in the blind one must remain unloaded and in it's case. Otherwise it infringes on the 3 shot restriction.

Mugz.

Why wouldn't it be legal? They only state that a gun must have a plug and can only hold 3 shells for waterfowl.


Its Canadian/Provincial law. Dont look for logic In Canadian gun laws you won't find any. :beer:

Rob

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:56 am
Location: ON,Canada

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby Mugzwump » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:10 pm

Rob MacK wrote:
Nelliboy2 wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:
Loose Wire wrote:
NWiowaCutinGreen wrote: what do you shoot?


Two guns in the pit.

SP10 with BBB for Canada.
1187 with #2 for mallards.



That legal? Up here if we carry two guns in the blind one must remain unloaded and in it's case. Otherwise it infringes on the 3 shot restriction.

Mugz.

Why wouldn't it be legal? They only state that a gun must have a plug and can only hold 3 shells for waterfowl.


Its Canadian/Provincial law. Dont look for logic In Canadian gun laws you won't find any. :beer:

Rob

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk


yep.. Cdn thing. Can't have more than one gun blazing at a time. Not sure where the rule has its roots... obviously somewhere some nut got busted poaching with 12 guns going off and now we have to read about it in our regs every year.

Gun law logic? The only thing logical about guns is being on the right side of the barrel. You can law it up or outlaw it all... either way someones on the wrong end.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby rikasam2013 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:22 pm

I occasionally use 2 guns here in Idaho, usually a double 20 or 12 for in the decoys shots with #4 or #2 and either a heavy loaded 12 or my sp10 for longer range pass shots. If I could only use one shell for all around it would be 12ga, 3", #1, 1 1/4oz. :smile:
rikasam2013
hunter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Re: Shotshell loads for Mallards & Canada's

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:59 am

Loose Wire wrote: Federal regulations are silent on the matter, state regulations govern.

This ^.
....and most states are also silent on the matter.
Silence, from our government, is good.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5917
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: possumfoot and 10 guests