Duck Hunting Forum banner

Status of Steel ?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Gcdhunter 
#1 ·
Just starting reloading and have a couple questions you folks may can help me with.

Before the load data it states:

"All unslit wads are slit prior to loading"

However in the load data in the wad column some say slit in parentheses, some say 2 slits in parentheses and some say nothing at all. Does that mean the ones that say nothing are unslit??

Also on page 117, load 51125-912R and 51125-911R appear to be exactly the same except one is 9400 psi 1445 fps and the other is 8800 psi 1410 fps. What's different about the two loads to change psi and fps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Different lot numbers in powder will give different readings in both, velocity and pressure...

There could also be a slight change in hull design, with either more or less space in the hull, that would give different readings...

Other things like primers, temperature, humidity, etc., will also cause different readings....

#3 ·
does one load have buffer and the other does not?

if that is the case that would give you the different psi reading higher with buffer!!

it is good idea with balistic products manuals is to have other sorces to find loads close to same and see the psi ratings ect
alliant book/web site loads and lyman 5th edition load manual.

balistic products data has been known to ruin alot of shotguns even though they said they had safe psi ratings.

all wads must be split at least 3/4 of way down ,other wise the load will end up being a steel slug.

hope this helps

#4 ·
The loads appear to be exactly the same. Maybe it's just a SOS misprint.
I have Lyman the first I bought but no load data for Cheddite hulls. I'm working with Cheddite w/ched209 primers and Alliant steel. I have a good amount of once fired Rem nitro, estate and win blindside but have not reloaded any yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.