Duck Hunting Forum banner

First batch of 10s

3K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  C M Wings 
#1 ·
First, thanks to everyone who answered a bunch of questions for me as I got ready to reload for my 10 gauge.

Not a great picture, but from left to right are RSI 98, 99, and 99 - all with T shot. The 98 recipe is great. To get a good crimp I have felt over and undershot spacers. For T shot, the recipe says only an undershot is needed, but when I did this I got a depressed crimp. With the overshot felt in place I get a very nice, level crimp. The middle and far right loads show what I mean, but with the 99 recipe. It does not call for an undershot spacer with T (it does for smaller shot), but I hope you can make out how the far right shell as a very nice, level, no-swirl crimp while the middle id depressed. Also, the far right shell has no rattle to it when I shake it while the middle has a a slight one.

So thanks again for all the help getting going.

Joe

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Well chokes I have tried in my BPS were the factory IC and Mod. For the after market chokes Terror .720 and Briely LF. The LF did very well with Ts at 50 yds. I am going to order a Briely LM for mine and see how that goes for closer range and I will try it with Ts at range as well. I should mention I usually use my 10 for long range work and usually with BBB thats why the chokes I have are so tight. My factory tubes were marginal for that style of shooting.

Rob

#9 ·
If you shoot RSI 98 in low light good advice would be to not look at the end of your muzzle when you fire your gun..the flash from all the unburnt powder will blind you.

Better bet is RSI 100 modified, you'll get much more constant velocities and no flash.
Good Luck

#10 ·
BT - RSI 100 modified how?? You know I was wondering about almost almost 50gn of powder in both those loads when I hear lots of guys say they are burning in the low 40s.

Also, I meant IM. not LM for the choke.... Wouldn't be much point in LM.

Joe

#12 ·
3200 man said:
BT

I like the RSI 100 recipe in the 10 ga but I get better patterns with a little less powder (45 grs) shooting 1's and B's
out of my BPS 30" at 55 yds with the .745 Briley , my F1 says velocities are just under 1500 fps with the Sam !
Is this the norm ?
You know my philosophy if it works for you then use it, you'll be able to keep your patterns under control better with those speeds.
Usually and this is not "Written in Stone" you can figure about 40 fps per grain loss if you reduce down with STEEL powder in the 10 ga.
Using the .720 Terror I get 82-84% patterns with this load and 2's @ 40 yards, my go to long range duck load.

#13 ·
C M Wings said:
BT - RSI 100 modified how?? You know I was wondering about almost almost 50gn of powder in both those loads when I hear lots of guys say they are burning in the low 40s.

Also, I meant IM. not LM for the choke.... Wouldn't be much point in LM.

Joe
Yes RSI 100 Modified, sub out the Federal 209A primer for the Winchester primer, I get 1620 fps all day long out of this load.
'It's 1 grain of STEEL less than the Alliant listed load using the same components, we found the Alliant load a bit to hot in some instances, reducing down by one grain of powder made the load much more stable.

Using that much powder you really need a good hot primer to get things going properly, I tried RSI 98 many years ago it about blinded me in half light condition's.

#15 ·
3200 man said:
BT

I like the RSI 100 recipe in the 10 ga but I get better patterns with a little less powder (45 grs) shooting 1's and B's
out of my BPS 30" at 55 yds with the .745 Briley , my F1 says velocities are just under 1500 fps with the Sam !
Is this the norm ?
fed209a instead of win 209 in that load 1515-1540 fps...with 45 grains asteel powder ,throws great patterns with 1's, b's with briley .745 light full choke!!! my bbl length is 26"

#16 ·
C M Wings said:
BT - so just to be clear, 1 less grain of powder and replace Winney primer with FED 209A in the RSI 100 recipe.

I have heard other recommend reducing by 2 grains when doing this primer switch? Any idea the pressure of the modified load?

Joe
2 grains less with fed209a primer gets 1515fps to 1540 fps with 26 inch bbl and briley .745 extended tube.

edited 3/9-14: just shot this load with 28 inch with briley tube this morning and got 1554 fps average with 3 shots fired.

#17 ·
C M Wings said:
BT - so just to be clear, 1 less grain of powder and replace Winney primer with FED 209A in the RSI 100 recipe.

I have heard other recommend reducing by 2 grains when doing this primer switch? Any idea the pressure of the modified load?

Joe
Yeap..you have to look at things logically if nothing else

Alliant shows the recipe with 48 grains of STEEL and the Federal 209A primer giving 10,200 psi
RSI shows the same load with 47 Grains of STEEL and the Winchester 209 giving 11,100 psi
I believe the velocities are listed as 1595 fps for both loads....OK so how do you add 1 grain and use a hotter primer and get lower pressures but the same velocity in the same load...ERRR you don't.

We were getting 1650 -1660 fps out of the 48 grain load, it was also splitting the wads on some shots
With the 47 grain load we were getting 1610 -1620 fps and no problems.
Best part about it is I did pressure test it with the 47 grains/ Federal 209A and got pressures from 10,900- 11,300.
I can guess the 48 grain load was running over 12,000 psi.

#20 ·
C M Wings said:
One last thing about RSI#100 - it calls for a Remington hull. I assume I can't use the Federals I have.

Joe
That would be to much experimentation, we just change primers on occasion because the Winchesters have a hard time burning big amounts of powder with lighter payloads.

What I do is use the Remington hulls for lighter loads and the Federal hulls for heavier loads.

#21 ·
Roger that BT. I am comfortable with a little less powder and a hotter primer, but not with putting a federal recipe in a remington or other hull given all the pressure data from 12 gauge hulls. Remmy hulls sure seem to run extra high - don't want that carrying over.

Joe

#25 ·
dog walker said:
Rob MacK said:
Just FYI I did have success with the Alliant 1 5/8oz load using T. Its loaded with a Rem hull. As I recall so did DDC as Ibelive he was the reason I tried it.

Rob

Rob
Just curious Rob,what velocities did you get with that load? I'm just curious as to how the velocity compares to what's listed.
I will have to check when I get home next week I cant remember off hand. I am away working right now.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.