Pellet lethality comparison question

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: Pellet lethality comparison question

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Elevation can really affect kill distances. Steel BB's at 1550 fps going from sea level to 4000 ft where I hunted geese West of Hereford Tx increased the kill distance form 65 yds to 75 yds that's 30 ft. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 am

I will put the information given in a KPY chart and see what Gel Penetration numbers it outputs.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:54 am

lostknife4 wrote: has anyone any data about the feather penetrability of shot in different sizes and differing mass densities? Steel vs Lead vs TSS?

Logic, and your own findings, tell me that pellet diameter is the sole determining factor in feather pickup. The feathers don't know what that little shiney sphere is made of, or even how fast it is going. They only know how many are being contacted by the sphere.
The only other factor might be the type of feather that pellet is passing through; in my experience, a shot will pick up far more soft breast/down feathers and carry them into the meat than it will stiffer flight feathers. That would one more area that we have no control over....so even a cursory discussion would be moot.
mudpack
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:18 am

mudpack wrote:
lostknife4 wrote: has anyone any data about the feather penetrability of shot in different sizes and differing mass densities? Steel vs Lead vs TSS?

Logic, and your own findings, tell me that pellet diameter is the sole determining factor in feather pickup. The feathers don't know what that little shiney sphere is made of, or even how fast it is going. They only know how many are being contacted by the sphere.
The only other factor might be the type of feather that pellet is passing through; in my experience, a shot will pick up far more soft breast/down feathers and carry them into the meat than it will stiffer flight feathers. I agree so far That would one more area that we have no control over....so even a cursory discussion would be moot. To this question being a moot point of discussion I disagree, any informative information regarding the penetrability of feathers by shot diameter would be interesting and informative and useful in picking shot diameter for bird species IMHO. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:47 am

baltz526 wrote:I started shooting Copper plated B last year for western Canada. Killed several. Inside about 45yrds most pellets where complete pass through at 1450fps + muzzle velocity. Most where hit from the side with pellets in the ribs, under wings, back area, neck, head. I did find a few pellets under the skin on the opposite side from entry. I did not drop any geese beyond about 45yrds with the load. When multiple pellets hit all breast meat they passed completely through. The few pellets I found, hit on more of a rear impact angle. Traveled through goose to lodge in the opposite side after about 4-5" of meat, breastbone, chest cavity travel. One duck I hit on the 3rd shot, so it was outside 45yrds. Probably in the 55yrd area. It had several complete pass through hits and was dead in the air. Same with the closer ducks. While after the larger steel pellets slow down, They do seem to pull more feathers inside the wound channels.

Where are buying copper plated steel #B?
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 11 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:00 am

The answer to your question is Walmart. Commonly known as the Copperhead for air rifles which measures .170 the same as steel B shot. I have loaded both the Copperheads and the Daisy Zink plated. They both shoot fine. It is often thought that air rifle "BB" shot is .177" the same as the lead pellets for the same barrel. They are not as the lead .177 pellet is slightly sized down when it goes down the barrel, fitting the lands and grooves. The steel "BB" shot as it is commonly called, is not in reality BB size which is .180".

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:45 am

Theduckguru wrote:
baltz526 wrote:I started shooting Copper plated B last year for western Canada. Killed several. Inside about 45yrds most pellets where complete pass through at 1450fps + muzzle velocity. Most where hit from the side with pellets in the ribs, under wings, back area, neck, head. I did find a few pellets under the skin on the opposite side from entry. I did not drop any geese beyond about 45yrds with the load. When multiple pellets hit all breast meat they passed completely through. The few pellets I found, hit on more of a rear impact angle. Traveled through goose to lodge in the opposite side after about 4-5" of meat, breastbone, chest cavity travel. One duck I hit on the 3rd shot, so it was outside 45yrds. Probably in the 55yrd area. It had several complete pass through hits and was dead in the air. Same with the closer ducks. While after the larger steel pellets slow down, They do seem to pull more feathers inside the wound channels.

Where are buying copper plated steel #B?
6000 B jars 4.4lb each, 2 kilo, from local Box store. They run right at 85 B per ounce. .1725" 100 Crossman copper plated B weigh 513gr 5.13gr average each. I have a few Zink plated B which weigh 5.3gr each on average. The Zink are slightly larger also.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:24 pm

I don't suppose either of you has tested the hardness of the Crossman B shot?
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 11 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:40 pm

I have heard from dozens of shooters that reload with copperheads. Mostly about their performance on big geese. Never heard a single complaint. Only good reports were made. Pure and simple, they work just fine! Why make it complicated? I found a good supply of copperheads on clearance at Walmart a few years ago. I now have at least four 2 liter pop bottles full of copperheads. Should do me for quite a while.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Theduckguru wrote:I don't suppose either of you has tested the hardness of the Crossman B shot?

rsi has industial cast steel shot that is not annealed!!! basically the same thing just with no coating of copper or zink. all they recomend is that keep shot below wad height when loaded up and use extended chokes.

the daisy/crossman bb gun shot is no differrent from industrial steel shot.

if run out of b's from big 3 steel shot vendors, place order with them. then head to walmart ect and get some of those bb gun shot in 6000 count. go home then you will have shells for next day that are just as good as the b's that get from rsi ect. if guy only shoots couple boxes of goose loads a year getting the crossman or daisy bb's would be way to go. they are always there on the self one or the other. all need is hulls/primers wads and your set for geese.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:52 am

Theduckguru wrote:I don't suppose either of you has tested the hardness of the Crossman B shot?

It's definitely softer than Tungsten and harder than Lead.
We "hand" loaded it years ago in an old 10 ga double with external hammers and used, because it doesn't burn or start fires, hornet's nests for wadding and yes it did scratch the barrels and yes the scratches were straight down the barrel so really what difference is there between a straight broached barrel ie Wadlock, and one with a lot of scratches? It worked for a bunch of kids, us, over 50 years ago and I still use the Zinc plated BB gun "B's" on a regular basis and copper plated too. Why stop now LOL they work just as well today in plastic shotcups as they did over hornet's nest wads a long time ago.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes