The gaep black hole sucked me in

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

The gaep black hole sucked me in

Postby UmatillaJeff » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:07 pm

It's official.... I purchased a GAEP BN-4 in 10ga. When I have the time this spring I will do some before and after shots along with Crony readings and pattern testing.

My testing will focus on 60 yard patterns with large shot. Jeff
Last edited by UmatillaJeff on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count all the times you shoot a bird on the water. This will teach you about how effective the shells you think are so great are.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Re: The gaep balck hole sucked me in

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:01 pm

Anxious to see your results Jeff.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Re: The gaep black hole sucked me in

Postby 3200 man » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm sure glad you fell for this like we did , now you can show us how good it really works , for you ! :hammer:

Also , you're not only a Big Shot shooter with (t's).....but.....a hunter with petty Big Shot shells ! :lol3: :lol3:

Can't wait to see your results :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:44 am

UmatillaJeff wrote:It's official.... I purchased a GAEP BN-4 in 10ga. When I have the time this spring I will do some before and after shots along with Crony readings and pattern testing.

My testing will focus on 60 yard patterns with large shot. Jeff

Nice. I enjoy mine. I have the in 28,20,12 and 10 gauge. I will run some comparisons this spring to to see what the differences may be. So far the greatest thing about them is that when you are changing loads often you do not need to mess with the final crimp on the press so much, just let it loose and the Gael will finnish it for you no muss no fuss.

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby HCK » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:10 am

Remember drop powder 2-4 grains and if felocity is much higher what recipe says drop more.
HCK
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:29 pm

I'm buying Kenner's from him this week in 12 gauge. If I like it as much as y'all say I'll have to get with soloway and get the big 10 as well.

I like what Rob said about using the tool to account for lack of desire to fool with the press crimp station.

Ducks.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:33 pm

It showed up today! I cant believe it was 5 days from the UK to Oregon. I am going to recrimp some of my already perfectly crimped shells to see how good they will look and see if I can't make myself smile. Jeff
Count all the times you shoot a bird on the water. This will teach you about how effective the shells you think are so great are.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:50 pm

UmatillaJeff wrote:It showed up today! I cant believe it was 5 days from the UK to Oregon. I am going to recrimp some of my already perfectly crimped shells to see how good they will look and see if I can't make myself smile. Jeff

know time for that testing, that you wanted to do!!! see if it improves the loads pattern wise or just adds some taper?

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Jeff

Good for you , now takes some pics not of those nice looking finished crimped loads but , of that smile ?
Along with some before and after patterns too !

You received your Gaep tool a couple days earlier than I did , with us living on the west coast
3200 man
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:59 pm

I'm on the edge of falling into that black hole too.....Please tell me how good it works for you .. :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:37 am

I ran it on some Remington hulls. I didn't do many since with the extreme pressure that might be generated , I would like to crony a few before I apply it to a bunch of already loaded ammo that has not been adjusted to allow for the added crimp taper/pressure.

I will say this. They are the best looking crimps I have EVER seen. I may have to use the extra step just to make me happy about the way my shells look.

Proof is in the pudding. Only pattern testing will tell if it's an improvement. Lowered standard deviations means little or nothing when shot gunning but extra pellets in the pattern will make me a true believer.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:16 am

who needs perty shells as long as they cycle, lets see if gaep tool helps throw better patterns over regular crimped reloads,then they might be wurth the effort. right know i have reloads that match fps as advertized and have crimps that allow proprer function in semi auto's from .410-10 gauge reloads. plus they already get very good patterns, but improvement in patterns would be plus, especially if they go from 89-94 percent at 40 yards to 100 percent with same gun/choke. that might make it wurth the effort. just having perty looking crimps then I will still be on the other side of fence(regular press fold crimps).

test away!!
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby culot » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:14 am

crimp.JPG
Dont you all want to have uniform results from cartridge to cartridge? the same technology used by the cartridge factories, but with several steps. With precise tolerances of the height of the finished cartridge and perfect rounded crimps becomes deviations in speed less, it shows in all cases my chronograf. Better crimps also gives smaller losses as gunpowder can be saved,
Have you also a gunpowder dispenser with micro meters, then you will get results that exceed the factory, at least if you are using new hulls ..

ps: this crimp is good but not 100% in my eyes , hull is new Fiocchi T2 and i use a gaep T2 special crimper

/ Peter
culot
hunter

Postby Gcdhunter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:11 am

Are you guys using the Gaep right after precrimp or are you pre crimping, final crimping on your reloading press then hitting it with the Gaep
I hate goose poop on my golf course
Gcdhunter
hunter

Postby culot » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:29 pm

Gcdhunter wrote:Are you guys using the Gaep right after precrimp or are you pre crimping, final crimping on your reloading press then hitting it with the Gaep

I can only talk for myself, and i have gone from load /reloading the " american way " using a PW 375c duo matic singel stage press
From early -90. Until 2011 when the " Italian way of load and reload " hit me , short after that i sold my belowed PW
And bought an italian Gaep VS-1500 press .. And i never go back,

But thats no ansver for your question, if you have a mec or Pw press you stop after the 6-8 star pre crimp ,
Then you move the cartride to a gaep crimper in some bench drill/motor @900rpm, most important is you must have an adjustable
Stop .

And now i apologise for using metric : Standard height of finished cartride is 58mm for a 2 3/4 hull , so 57,8-58mm is absolute
Perfect. Note : so little as 0,20 mm shorter cartridge raise pressure aprox 40 bar and in some loads even more, and i belive loading steel this can be more critical..

So when you have the shell under the gaep /bn2/omv sp2 crimp head give it a quick short stroke, dont HANG on the handle
There is not needed, and you only destroy the cartridge. Grease the crimper with some white vaseline or silicone spray , i use
Vaseline becouse i got headache from silicone spray ,

You can also go through all stations, and just crimp down without taper so there is NO hole in center, if you have a svirl raise star pre-crimper , then move shell to the crimp head in drill and give it a quick short stroke and check lenght of cartridge, 58 mm is standard.

/Peter

Sweden
culot
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:01 am

Peter, are you measuring the shell height from the fold or the rim of the loaded shell?

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:54 am

Peter

You certainly addressed that question in the most exact way !

I load my target loads on Mec 9000 g's ( 28,20,12's) and with the 12 ga for (long) targets , after loading them on this loader
I run them under the BN 2 , this gives me more consistency shot to shot . My load of choice has been 18.5 grs of 700 X Ched
209 , CB wad with 1 1/8 oz of West-Coast shot in a CF Win or STS hull . There is no better looking loaded shell using the Gaep
tool and knowing the consistency of the load makes better patterns , for me !
3200 man
hunter

Postby culot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:08 am

C M Wings wrote:Peter, are you measuring the shell height from the fold or the rim of the loaded shell?

Joe

Joe,

I apologize for my English is limited, but I measured with calipers
from bottom to top, if you get what i mean. underneath culot to top of rim.

/ Peter
culot
hunter

Postby culot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:16 am

3200 man wrote:Peter

You certainly addressed that question in the most exact way !

I load my target loads on Mec 9000 g's ( 28,20,12's) and with the 12 ga for (long) targets , after loading them on this loader
I run them under the BN 2 , this gives me more consistency shot to shot . My load of choice has been 18.5 grs of 700 X Ched
209 , CB wad with 1 1/8 oz of West-Coast shot in a CF Win or STS hull . There is no better looking loaded shell using the Gaep
tool and knowing the consistency of the load makes better patterns , for me !

isn't it strange , you can still use lead for clay target and we Swedes must use steel , and for waterfowl we can use lead
and you can't :huh:

/ Peter
culot
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:46 am

My first response to that question was , you want to trade ? But as a young Lad knowing the pounding I took with
buffered lead loads , I'll stick with steel shot for Waterfowl . With the velocities we're getting these days and with complete
pass-through's of the pellets , why not ? Dead is Dead what ever you shoot ! :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:16 pm

3200 man wrote:My first response to that question was , you want to trade ? But as a young Lad knowing the pounding I took with
buffered lead loads , I'll stick with steel shot for Waterfowl . With the velocities we're getting these days and with complete
pass-through's of the pellets , why not ? Dead is Dead what ever you shoot ! :lol3:

+1
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby culot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:44 pm

3200 man wrote:My first response to that question was , you want to trade ? But as a young Lad knowing the pounding I took with

Nope , steel target ammo is realy good today , but nobody reload for targets in Sweden , quality ammo is quite cheap
And price of components is to high .

Yes , im really impressed of the loads you have in states today, when i was fiddling with some BPI steel loads in-90:s
The speed we talking about was aprox 1200fps

Q: why isn't steel standard for clay target in US ?

/Peter
culot
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 pm

It just hasn't been adopted in as yet , there is far to many old farts that want to stay away from steel shot as they believe
it will harm their tight barreled target guns . We hear it all the time ,( I paid 8 to 20.000 dollars for this gun and I'll quit before
I have to shoot steel shot through it ) I've shot steel right next to them and broke more targets than they did ( with Authority )
and they tell me it's going to ruin your gun ! There are several clubs shooting over water here and they have mandated steel shot .

But , I do hope for us ( Games ) shooters we don't change until I shoot all my lead - up ! :lol3:
With buying it a ton at a time it always has me worried , though ! I use it for Pigeons and upland birds as well so , in a year
or so I'll be ready if the word comes out .
3200 man
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:39 pm

Peter, thank you. I understand exactly. Your English is far better than my Swedish.... So no excuses or apologies!

If they mandate steel for targets, it might make target shooting affordable again....

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby culot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:17 pm

C M Wings wrote:Peter, thank you. I understand exactly. Your English is far better than my Swedish.... So no excuses or apologies!

If they mandate steel for targets, it might make target shooting affordable again....

Joe

Joe, when run the gaep its important grease it , white vaselin is perfect. I havent load so much steel yet but
It's harder work the gaep crimp when you have a hard steelshot colume and stiff wad , and distance down to shot comes critical
When a wad cant flex...

/Peter
culot
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes