The gaep black hole sucked me in

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: The gaep black hole sucked me in

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:35 pm

I use 43gr with Fed hull, Fed primer, MM wad and 1 1/2oz payload. 45gr with RSI wad. Just guessing about what your problem is, I would say you have a bad batch of Federal hulls. Just my best guess.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Solwaycalls » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:56 am

Cheers Chris I will try another load, are you gaeping with those loads ?
Eddie
Solwaycalls
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:30 am

Yes
I gaep with everything. I have seen severe pressure spikes when using PR buffer but never when doing finished crimps. I think the load you are using is a good one. The only way you can completely get away from having hull problems is to use something other than Federal hulls. Do you know for sure that the Fed hulls you were using were indeed once fired before you got your hands on them?

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Solwaycalls » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:40 am

Yes the hulls were new to me and then fired by me, resized etc by me , I have used buffer in the past but not in these loads, possibly these hulls were used before by me with. Buffer ed loads. I will try new hulls.
Solwaycalls
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:59 am

I have aquired brand new Fed 10ga hulls in the past. I had so much trouble with them giving me problems, I gave them away. I stick with once fired hulls that I get from other shooters. If I did not have a large supply of once fired Fed hulls that I have aquired, I would probably shoot factory shells to get the once fired hulls. I still have quite a few Estate 10ga factory shells, they are loaded with Fed hulls. No problems from them. When loading new Fed hulls, I have had them shoot the plastic tube - plastic tube splitting right at the top of the base - side of the base splitting vertical - rim seperating from the base - paper base wad unravel and wind up inside my action like a birds nest.
One precaution I take on a regular basis is trying to twist the base on the tube when doing inspection of hulls to be used. I only do this with Fed hulls and they are the only ones I have seen that tend to be loose. If they are loose, I dont load them.
Remington and Win hulls dont have these problems at all. However, they dont give the great patterns that the Fed hulls do.
My thinking at the moment to come up with an ultimate load that would pattern great plus not have hull problems would be a rto crimped Win hull load. I just havent taken the time to come up with a load yet.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 am

I have seen loose bases on Remington 10ga hulls, So they are not excluded from the problem. I have one on my bench that came apart at firing to remind me to check the Remington's.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:12 am

P4190002.jpg
baltz526
hunter

Postby grnhd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:30 pm

baltz526 wrote:I have seen loose bases on Remington 10ga hulls, So they are not excluded from the problem. I have one on my bench that came apart at firing to remind me to check the Remington's.

Me too. I've shot the tubes out of 5-6 rem hulls. Luckily for me when it does it, it jams my gun because about half the time the tube sticks in the barrel. Nothing real hot either, 48 grs STEEL and 1 1/4 loads of steel shot.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:37 am

WOW ! Are those old Rem hulls or is there something wrong with all Remington 10 ga hulls ?

Tommy , you shoot enough of them to know which is a better hull between Rem and Feds , what's your advise ?

I don't put as much wad pressure on Rio hulls , with the Gaep tool as I do with others But , I do like them !
3200 man
hunter

Postby grnhd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:25 am

I like the Feds better, for the same shot weight you'll get lower pressure everything else being equal. They crimp great, they are all the same meaning you don't have to sort hulls like you do Rems because they are different size or basewad. Feds are all the same....and I haven't shot 5-6 of the tubes off of them.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Been using the Feds for a VERY long time and as grnhd says they are all the same....
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks Guys !
3200 man
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:00 pm

The only thing I'll say positive about 10ga. Fed hulls is that they DO crimp nice. Back thru the late 90's and up 'til 2004, I found quite a few problems with Fed 10ga hulls. Since then I've strictly been using Remington hulls and with great success. In the past 3-4 years, I have loaded some recipes that I received from some fellow DHC members and shot them at the pattern boards. Of all the loads/recipes I tested in Federal hulls, none patterned as well as the loads I use in Remington hulls. That was testing done with both a BPS-10 and the Gold Lite 10. Perhaps this is only in my guns and my chokes. The negative of the Remington hull is that some need to be trimmed before firing in the Gold Lite. I'll live with that and stick to Rem hulls.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Remington hulls you can pick up out of the lake, shake the water out and dry them when you get home. Federal hulls get tossed if they get wet. Most of my hulls are Remington, They survive longer. But I do have to trim all Remington's for my Gold. Not a big problem once you make the tool.
baltz526
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:37 pm

baltz526 wrote:Remington hulls you can pick up out of the lake, shake the water out and dry them when you get home. Federal hulls get tossed if they get wet. Most of my hulls are Remington, They survive longer. But I do have to trim all Remington's for my Gold. Not a big problem once you make the tool.

Yes water is a problem but with my BPS's bottom ejection most fired hulls get dumped into the 4 Rivers...... I've never had any Rem's so I can't comment on their longevity in my 10 ga guns.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes