Reloading is dead if you know how to use a calculator

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Reloading is dead if you know how to use a calculator

Postby slowshooter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Been looking at the prices for reloading components creeping up - it's clear that those that are hoarding the stuff have driven cost to the point that its cheaper to buy factory shells.

Did the math last night and to reload 5k target loads, considering shipping, hazmat and component prices - reloading isn't a sensible idea... Will probably finish out my lead components (which aren't many) then just buy factory until prices drop to pre-NRA fear fest levels. I'm not going to reward the opportunistic with one red cent. If I can't afford either over the long haul? Hell, I can go fish.

Probably will do the same with steel but it will simply take longer as it's only used during duck season. So it might take awhile to winnow those supplies down.

Too bad for the hoarders - they can try to cover it like the Hunt brothers did silver. All I know is that if it's cheaper for me to buy factory shell - or even close - it doesn't make sense to burn off lifespan making loads unless:

1. I realize that it's a genuine obsession,
2. I hit my head and suddenly can't do math.
3. It becomes the only hobby of mine that keeps the wife out of the garage.

I think my last purchase for awhile is going to be a brick of primers.

Any recommendations for a currently available primer that would work in lead and steel loads? No point in having a bunch of brands floating around. What I see on the market are cheddites, fiocchis and Nobels. Everything else looked to be stuffed in someone's shed as an investment.

Thanks,
slow
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: Reloading is dead if you know how to use a calculator

Postby TexasGeese » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:46 pm

How do you calculate "out of stock"?
TexasGeese
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:50 pm

TexasGeese wrote:How do you calculate "out of stock"?

That's easy. :lol3:

http://www.cabofishingvacations.com/ :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Plan number 1 , Government makes all components inaccessible to manufactures of ammo

Plan number 2 , Let the word out to the Hoarders and gun show exhibit people

plan number 3 , Tell the small gun shops in your area they have to build a powder bunker to have more than 15 lbs
of powder , only in 1 lb containers

plan number 4 , Let California lead the way to NO Guns for private use.......with Fienhole ,Boxass in office
3200 man
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:11 pm

Any of those could be right - or ALL of them.

slow
slowshooter
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:56 pm

I'll agree on lead . . . What I can load at home for $5.20/box, I can buy retail at $5.99/box. Steel, on the other hand, is a different story. I can still make $7-9/box, quality loads. Can't buy em for that, and when you do, they're sub-par quality.

My last purchase on federal 209A's, I caught a sale and got em for $125/5,000. Hazmat included, I was only $150 deep in em. Powder, I get for about $70/4lb keg, delivered. 250 wads for $15. Hulls are typically free. I got a free shipping deal on shot and caught it on sale at $15/10lbs. Ordered 240 lbs and shipping was free. Can't beat that price on factory loads. To even get close, you're looking at Xperts.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Beretta06 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 pm

It really depends on what your using for a benchmark? A case of AAs in 2005 was less than $50 now it's nearly $110 same as STS.which are quality target rounds. And is more of what my reloads are. If your comparing to the Walmart special that are manufacture giveaways. Probably not going to compete.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:12 am

Lead target loads, Yes it is tough to justify. Hunting loads? Yes it still is cost effective.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby culot » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:25 am

I can assure you that your gunpowder problems and regulations affecting us in europe
twice as much, and the European gunpowder Americans pay half as much for
compared to what we pay in Sweden..... and we already have this " only 1 lb bottles " talk here

btw: a 1lb bottle Longshot cost 61usd in sweden ( 396sek ) :crying:

/ Peter

Sweden
culot
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:43 am

For the reloads that work best out of my gun it costs about 77 bucks a case to reload. I can just go to Cabelas and pick up some slower loads and shoot a hair tighter.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that it's okay when the price on components double - because the guy down the street that buys factory happens to be getting raped a little harder on price. Eventually everyone reaches is a scream point or their wallet does. I've reached both when considering reloading lead shells.

Agree that there are considerably more benefits to reloading steel if you are looking for performance and DRT loads. My efforts on that front are more towards tailoring the loads to where I hunt - as opposed to just spraying and praying long distances with the heaviest lump of steel I can find. So I'll be having quite a bit of fun with that.

Probably will just go buy a 5k of Fed 209As take it in the shorts. :lol3:

The days of buying 20k primers and using them all in short order, are over for me. Now I just have to figure out how to buy reasonably cheap steel or pull a Cannon and get some free shipping. :yes:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:41 am

That's really nothing new though, 10 years ago you could get a case of Challenger Target loads for $30 a case with tax, and that was about break even if you wanted to load your own not including the time you invested.

What has to be understood is reloading just like everything else is never going to be what it used to be and it's been headed that way for a long time before this hoarding scare we've been having.
The price of everything has been going up steadily for the past 30 years and I doubt it's going to stop anytime soon. Not going on the memory lane trip here but to compare, when I first started reloading a pound of powder was $6 or $7, 100 primers would cost you no more than $1.25 and lead shot was $10-$12 a bag depending on where you bought it.
Since that time the price of everything has quadrupled, it didn't happen overnight.
You have to look at things today as a hobby and to get better performance from your shooting, not as a big money saver.
Think what makes me keep doing it is every bird and deer that I deemed good enough to have mounted for the wall I shot with my reloads, makes for some good memories.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:58 am

Slow

When you go to the range and see your Neurologist there shooting reloads , it should tell you something about WHY
some of us still reload target ammo ? At $ 170. per visit to see him , 5 bucks a box to reload and the quality time it
takes to load them , how can you go wrong ? Why do you think , he's there ? It might be from lessening to us at his
office ? :lol3:

And if you don't believe me , look at Cannon , he already has reloaded for next years season ! :lol: LMAO

We are ALL crazy......you know ? :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:08 am

I shoot 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads at Trap, Skeet and Sporting clays. There are no 7/8 oz or 1 oz target loads being sold witin 100 miles of my house. Good target loads are now selling for $8.50 to over $10.00 per box now.

I can save money and shoot the loads that I want to shoot by reloading my lead target loads. The cheap lead shells that Wal-Mart sells are not good quality target loads.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:35 am

Beretta06 wrote:It really depends on what your using for a benchmark? A case of AAs in 2005 was less than $50 now it's nearly $110 same as STS.which are quality target rounds. And is more of what my reloads are. If your comparing to the Walmart special that are manufacture giveaways. Probably not going to compete.

Dwight

I can actually get AA's or STS's at walley world for $80. Federal gold medal at Rogers for $72. Just bought a case of federal field & clay loads for $59.
cannon
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:43 am

3200 man wrote:Plan number 1 , Government makes all components inaccessible to manufactures of ammo

plan number 3 , Tell the small gun shops in your area they have to build a powder bunker to have more than 15 lbs

plan number 4 , Let California lead the way to NO Guns for private use.......with Fienhole ,Boxass in office

Actally the govt didn't have to do anything. The NRA has done a great job running up prices for the manufacturing lobby they represent.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:54 am

Theduckguru wrote:
3200 man wrote:Plan number 1 , Government makes all components inaccessible to manufactures of ammo

Actally the govt didn't have to do anything. The NRA has done a great job running up prices for the manufacturing lobby they represent.

Our federal government has something to do with everything. Don't kid yourself, they work hard to generate panic through media outlets. When you have an anti-gun agenda, but want to avoid all out civil war, you abandon overt techniques and pursue that agenda more subtly. That said, I don't think primers and powders cost anymore than they did two years ago, retail. It's just way more difficult to catch a sale on em. .22LR ammo, on the other hand, still defies all logic. I can't, for the life of me, figure out who's halted the supply of those. I'm just not buying that "hoarders" have panicked into buying up the global supply.
cannon
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:04 am

The only thing not in supply at my local Walmart is 22Lr and 17cal last 22s I saw I bought the 3 boxes I could then forced my wife to come get the other 3 boxes, back in october!

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Beretta06 wrote:The only thing not in supply at my local Walmart is 22Lr and 17cal last 22s I saw I bought the 3 boxes I could then forced my wife to come get the other 3 boxes, back in october!Dwight

Looks like the hoarders ARE buying up the global supply................?
mudpack
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:16 pm

I agree that reloading lead is not cost effective when compared to cheap shells. But to be honest, if you are shooting 16-yard trap or skeet - who cares? I was a AA trap shooter using recyled shot with 7/8 ounce of lead in a gunclub hull with 16 grains of claydot. If you're shooting for the money in a big SC shoot - yeah - probably want a better shell. But hey - mine shot fine and patterned more than well enough to grind targets to dust at short yardage. And no - a better shell would NOT have made me a AAA shooter. Just trust me on this one.... :sad:

Steel on the other hand is still very cost effective to reload. You can produce a high quality shell at Expert prices or less.

Ducks
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:19 pm

slowshooter wrote:Been looking at the prices for reloading components creeping up - it's clear that those that are hoarding the stuff have driven cost to the point that its cheaper to buy factory shells.

Did the math last night and to reload 5k target loads, considering shipping, hazmat and component prices - reloading isn't a sensible idea... Will probably finish out my lead components (which aren't many) then just buy factory until prices drop to pre-NRA fear fest levels. I'm not going to reward the opportunistic with one red cent. If I can't afford either over the long haul? Hell, I can go fish.

Probably will do the same with steel but it will simply take longer as it's only used during duck season. So it might take awhile to winnow those supplies down.

Too bad for the hoarders - they can try to cover it like the Hunt brothers did silver. All I know is that if it's cheaper for me to buy factory shell - or even close - it doesn't make sense to burn off lifespan making loads unless:

1. I realize that it's a genuine obsession,
2. I hit my head and suddenly can't do math.
3. It becomes the only hobby of mine that keeps the wife out of the garage.

I think my last purchase for awhile is going to be a brick of primers.

Any recommendations for a currently available primer that would work in lead and steel loads? No point in having a bunch of brands floating around. What I see on the market are cheddites, fiocchis and Nobels. Everything else looked to be stuffed in someone's shed as an investment.

Thanks,
slow

The same can now be said for centerfire handloading with the prime exception (same goes for shotshells) being that you can work up a load, tuned to a specific rifle/bullet and/or shotgun/choke that will outperform factory fodder in most all instances.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:27 pm

The Government and the ammo manufactures know you can't make the Cake if anyone of the components are hard to get !
Same goes for reloading so , with the hoarders looking to make a buck or two and US at the heat of the moment of running
out of supplies looking to buy.......prices go up , even more as we get desperate OR we contact a jobber and buy New shells , OH ?

Is that the game they're playing ? :yes: :huh:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:59 pm

cannon wrote:
Beretta06 wrote:It really depends on what your using for a benchmark? A case of AAs in 2005 was less than $50 now it's nearly $110 same as STS.which are quality target rounds. And is more of what my reloads are. If your comparing to the Walmart special that are manufacture giveaways. Probably not going to compete.

Dwight

I can actually get AA's or STS's at walley world for $80. Federal gold medal at Rogers for $72. Just bought a case of federal field & clay loads for $59.

$8.75 STS per box $9.25 AA per box here at Walmart plus 7.75% sales tax or 8.25% depending which city your in. Gun club prices are much better if your a member.

My wife will only shoot New AAs I'm competition. She is picky as hell. I've been shooting recycled lead shot for practice, maybe league this year aswell.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:06 pm

I bought 1lb of steel powder at my local gun store today. $29.99

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:26 pm

cannon wrote:
Theduckguru wrote:

Our federal government has something to do with everything. Don't kid yourself, they work hard to generate panic through media outlets. When you have an anti-gun agenda, but want to avoid all out civil war, you abandon overt techniques and pursue that agenda more subtly. That said, I don't think primers and powders cost anymore than they did two years ago, retail. It's just way more difficult to catch a sale on em. .22LR ammo, on the other hand, still defies all logic. I can't, for the life of me, figure out who's halted the supply of those. I'm just not buying that "hoarders" have panicked into buying up the global supply.

Not kidding myself, the NRA is who has run up both gun and ammo prices with their get em before its outlawed message. Gun/ammo companies could not be happier. I am just thankful the NRA is silent the rest of the stuff I buy.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Theduckguru wrote:
cannon wrote:
Theduckguru wrote:

Not kidding myself, the NRA is who has run up both gun and ammo prices with their get em before its outlawed message. Gun/ammo companies could not be happier. I am just thankful the NRA is silent the rest of the stuff I buy.

Having been a Life Member for 20+ years, I cannot recall an article or editorial in any of their publications, exhorting members to "stock up" on munitions. Maybe, I missed something?
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes