Reloading is dead if you know how to use a calculator

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Re: Reloading is dead if you know how to use a calculator

Postby baltz526 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:55 pm

The NRA has nothing to do with the continuing deficit in reloading components. Bashing the NRA is some peoples hobby.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:06 am

Yuchi1 wrote:Having been a Life Member for 20+ years, I cannot recall an article or editorial in any of their publications, exhorting members to "stock up" on munitions. Maybe, I missed something?

Same here. Seems to me that after the Sandy Hook shooting many legislators and media personalities pushed for bans on AR15's and in some places the same mentality spilled over onto other guns like 10-22's, mini 14's, 7400's and even pump and auto shotguns capable of accepting extended magazines. People ran out to buy guns for fear that they would not be available. When people buy guns they buy ammo. Once ammo supplies got low it spurred the hoarding. I sure wish it all would end. I can't even remember the last time I went and spent an afternoon behind one of my varmint rifles because I don't know when ill be able to replace the ammo I'd spend in a day of busting squeaks. My bolt action .22 lr is the only one that's been getting any use and that's just because I already had a couple thousand rounds of ammo before all this madness started.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:18 am

With all the talk from gun people about Government controlling our ability to have what we have and the Celebrities
making movies of bad-ass gun fights along with helping the media promote gun control OR fear in the heads of the public
this is where it started ,with the thought of , whoever has the most fire-power Wins !

Then the gun manufactures /importers had the market by the tail as You got the gun but , now you need ammo and this
is where we are NOW !....with supply and demand......And the Government Can control that !
3200 man
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:22 am

The NRA has survived by stoking fear for money - it's been that way since the 70s. What you see with components as well as ARs is panic buying based on the NRA and the right claiming that the Feds were going to sweep in and take that stuff away.

Folk can say that it's not the NRAs fault but they're mission is to pound a single drum long enough and loud enough that eventually someone dances.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:34 am

Beretta06 wrote:I bought 1lb of steel powder at my local gun store today. $29.99

Dwight

Wow.... Shyda's in PA where I go... $18.99, Aliant STEEL, 1 lb jug.

Ducks
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby wildflights » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:08 am

C M Wings wrote:
Beretta06 wrote:I bought 1lb of steel powder at my local gun store today. $29.99

Dwight

Ducks

Not a surprise. Small shops need a larger margin to cover overhead. If you're happy with your local guy and like being able to walk in the door and browse the shelves, support him.

Otherwise, you're only source will be online dealers. I tried to buy some powder online yesterday. Computer said in stock. By the time I typed in the order, that item was on backorder. Called the store and was told that they had 80+ orders for that item in under a minute.
wildflights
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:33 pm

Shyda's is a small locally owned gun shop in Southern PA. No on-line anything, not a chain, but a family business. I drive 90 minutes one-way to shop there to support a local shop that offers great service, prices, and selection of the things hunters really want; quality, durable products. Best prices on Benelli's and Beretta's anywhere (for example a MAX-4 camo A-400 Extreme at Shyda's, brand NIB, is $1539). I haven't been in a Bass Pro or Cabella's in years; I prefer to support local shops, but at the same time, I'm not getting gouged. Shyda's may not make a lot on money on each sale based on other prices I've seen, but they are always busy; they know how to make it up with volume.

Ducks.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:42 pm

slowshooter wrote: ........ What you see with components as well as ARs is panic buying based on the NRA and the right claiming that the Feds were going to sweep in and take that stuff away..

So the fact that big name politicians like Feinstein openly stating that they wanted to ban them had nothing to do with it. :huh: Hell, Slow. You seem like a guy that stays up on things. Just the laundry list of anti gun bills that popped up in California alone was enough to make gun owners nervous and send them off to the gun shops. No NRA required for that.
I've got my own gripe with the NRA but that's another issue altogether.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:22 pm

wildflights wrote:
C M Wings wrote:

Dwight

Ducks

Not a surprise. Small shops need a larger margin to cover overhead. If you're happy with your local guy and like being able to walk in the door and browse the shelves, support him.

Otherwise, you're only source will be online dealers. I tried to buy some powder online yesterday. Computer said in stock. By the time I typed in the order, that item was on backorder. Called the store and was told that they had 80+ orders for that item in under a minute.

all of small shops are not that way...maybe the ones that got burned by selling powder ect and then hear through grapevine that said person sold that powder for rediculis price on craigslist/gunbroker ect.

alot of the online dealers are distributors of powder ect and are selling tad over what small gun shop has to pay for the powder/primers to get for resale then have to add shipping if they do not order big enough order so that gets added into price then profit gets on the product be it powder ect. so can not go by local gunshop prices against some of the online retailers.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:24 am

What's being missed here is by buying at your local shop your not picking up the shipping/haz mat costs.
Somebody has to pay increased shipping cost and haz mat is ridiculous also, even though you might spend $5 more per pound of powder your actually not spending anymore than you would having it shipped.
Besides there's nothing wrong with supporting local shops.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:03 am

BT Justice wrote:What's being missed here is by buying at your local shop your not picking up the shipping/haz mat costs.
Somebody has to pay increased shipping cost and haz mat is ridiculous also, even though you might spend $5 more per pound of powder your actually not spending anymore than you would having it shipped.

Your point is correct. I would have to buy 4 1lb containers at a time of steel powder to break even or slightly ahead on shipping and hazmat costs @ $29.99 a lb from my local store. I really only use 3 lb a duck season.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby wildflights » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:28 am

goosepit2007 wrote:
wildflights wrote:
C M Wings wrote:

Dwight

Ducks

all of small shops are not that way...maybe the ones that got burned by selling powder ect and then hear through grapevine that said person sold that powder for rediculis price on craigslist/gunbroker ect.

alot of the online dealers are distributors of powder ect and are selling tad over what small gun shop has to pay for the powder/primers to get for resale then have to add shipping if they do not order big enough order so that gets added into price then profit gets on the product be it powder ect. so can not go by local gunshop prices against some of the online retailers.

Did I sound negative on supporting local shops? That was not my intent. Sorry I wasn't clear.
SUPPORT your LOCAL shop so he'll be there next year. Then you won't have to compete with guys on the other side of the country for product that IS AVAILABLE and taking up valuable retail shelf space.

Back to the OP- Loading 20 and 12 gauge target ammo does not save me a dime. Especially if I consider replacement costs for lead, wads, powder and primers. That's not even factoring the time involved or equipment costs. It's a hobby that I enjoy. For me, the primary benefit of reloading target shells is effective ammo with lighter recoil than promo loads at promo load prices.

28 gauge is a different animal. There are real savings in loading 28's. Even using wads that cost 7.50/100 ct. my reloads are running 7.20 box
wildflights
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:17 am

wildflights wrote:
28 gauge is a different animal. There are real savings in loading 28's. Even using wads that cost 7.50/100 ct. my reloads are running 7.20 box

Wow that's kind of high still for the 28. I am using stuff I bought 5 to 10 years ago and my cost with those prices are around 2.50 to $3 a box. I priced up what it would cost me with current prices and I figured just under $5 a box with buying everything local and no shipping.

I have about ten thousand rounds I can load and then I have to buy again but that will be a lot sooner then later with my wife shooting a 28 now and at the rate she is shooting up my supplies :sad: :sad:

Might have to buy her a 410 so I can try to stretch out my supplies a little longer :lol3: :lol3:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:33 pm

The local Gun Shops for me are a 80 mile round trip. They very seldom have what I want and their prices on powder for 1 pound cans are almost twice as much money compared to the price of powder per pound if I buy the powder on-line in 8 lb cans.

Primers are at least $1.50 per hundred more than on-line prices, wads are close to be twice as much locally if they have them.

Just the 80 mile round trip to the local shops will cost me in gas about what the Haz-Mat fee is. When I get 3 or 4 guys together and fill the Haz-Mat box with 48 lbs of powder and primers the saving is huge compared to trying to buy locally even after paying for the Haz-Mat and shipping charges.

When I started reloading Trap loads back in the late 1960s I wouldn't have saved much money at all if I had bought my componets locally. Back then we drove about 240 miles round trip to buy all of our shotgun reloading componets. Win AA trap loads were $2.50 a box at the gun club and we couldn't afford that. LOL
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby wildflights » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:53 am

hamernhonkers wrote:
wildflights wrote:

Wow that's kind of high still for the 28. I am using stuff I bought 5 to 10 years ago and my cost with those prices are around 2.50 to $3 a box. I priced up what it would cost me with current prices and I figured just under $5 a box with buying everything local and no shipping.

I have about ten thousand rounds I can load and then I have to buy again but that will be a lot sooner then later with my wife shooting a 28 now and at the rate she is shooting up my supplies :sad: :sad:

Might have to buy her a 410 so I can try to stretch out my supplies a little longer :lol3: :lol3:

Yes it is high. A good portion of that is in the wads for that particular load. Claybuster target wads would reduce that by 1.32 per box. I'm also using recently purchased powder bought in 1 lb containers, with local sales tax averaging close to $25.00 lb. Plus shot at $2.00 lb and I'm right at $7.20 box. At that, it's cheaper than buying 28s off the shelf.

Looking at a different load and I'm down to $5.45 box with new components.
wildflights
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon May 12, 2014 8:33 pm

Beretta06 wrote:
BT Justice wrote:What's being missed here is by buying at your local shop your not picking up the shipping/haz mat costs.

Your point is correct. I would have to buy 4 1lb containers at a time of steel powder to break even or slightly ahead on shipping and hazmat costs @ $29.99 a lb from my local store. I really only use 3 lb a duck season.

Dwight

I use between 12-16 lbs a season, & get 4-lb kegs, 4 at a time, for 60 ea. I typically wait for flat or free shipping promos & add in the hazmat price spread across them. Isn't even close to as expensive as buying it locally.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby TimeMachine » Tue May 13, 2014 6:15 am

Reloading is not about saving money. Never has been.
Signature???....We don't need no stinking signature
TimeMachine
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Tue May 13, 2014 6:35 am

TimeMachine wrote:Reloading is not about saving money. Never has been.

Sure it was , when powder was $6-$8 per pound, lead shot was $12.50 for 25 lbs and you could get 100 primers for $1.25.
That wasn't all that long ago I still have one pound powder cans with stickers on them that say $7.50 on them.
Ahhhhhh the good old days of my youth............ :biggrin:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby Quacker-Wacker » Tue May 13, 2014 8:54 am

Theduckguru wrote:
cannon wrote:
Theduckguru wrote:
3200 man wrote:Plan number 1 , Government makes all components inaccessible to manufactures of ammo

Plan number 2 , Let the word out to the Hoarders and gun show exhibit people

plan number 3 , Tell the small gun shops in your area they have to build a powder bunker to have more than 15 lbs
of powder , only in 1 lb containers

plan number 4 , Let California lead the way to NO Guns for private use.......with Fienhole ,Boxass in office

Actally the govt didn't have to do anything. The NRA has done a great job running up prices for the manufacturing lobby they represent.

Our federal government has something to do with everything. Don't kid yourself, they work hard to generate panic through media outlets. When you have an anti-gun agenda, but want to avoid all out civil war, you abandon overt techniques and pursue that agenda more subtly. That said, I don't think primers and powders cost anymore than they did two years ago, retail. It's just way more difficult to catch a sale on em. .22LR ammo, on the other hand, still defies all logic. I can't, for the life of me, figure out who's halted the supply of those. I'm just not buying that "hoarders" have panicked into buying up the global supply.

Not kidding myself, the NRA is who has run up both gun and ammo prices with their get em before its outlawed message. Gun/ammo companies could not be happier. I am just thankful the NRA is silent the rest of the stuff I buy.

You don't think this has anything to do with it??? I know it does as I am living with it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NY_SAFE_Act
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 9033,d.cWc
Last edited by Quacker-Wacker on Tue May 13, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quacker-Wacker
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue May 13, 2014 10:08 am

That may be true to the new loaders.............

but for us old guys that have materials stored and on the shelf before this last election..........
and bought it all at lower prices........

it is still a great deal.........
I am still a happy camper.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue May 13, 2014 1:32 pm

Me too , Sage I

One can understand the grief fellas ( without components ) are having , with prices that don't seem right , we just
look and say to ourselves ,WOW , but as I was told 2 years ago ( missing one component , you can't make the Cake ) !
Some new factory loads are a bargain , even tho , as reloading is a pastime for us , replacements of some things are
hard to find . Dealers are trying their best and with the Gov making it as hard as possible to get components , it should
encourage more of us to get out and Vote for friends of shooters and help us get back what we're losing.....OUR Freedom !
3200 man
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed May 14, 2014 3:56 am

Sagebrush wrote:That may be true to the new loaders.............

but for us old guys that have materials stored and on the shelf before this last election..........
and bought it all at lower prices........

it is still a great deal.........
I am still a happy camper.

I must be getting old, I think I have some things squirreled away from when Gerry Ford was in office... :lol3:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby bojac » Wed May 14, 2014 6:36 am

My local Farm & Fleet said they haven't had .22s in stock since Feb.
They sold alot of 10 dollar boxes of steel Xperts though.
bojac
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:56 am

Quacker-Wacker wrote:
Theduckguru wrote:
cannon wrote:
Theduckguru wrote:
3200 man wrote:Plan number 1 , Government makes all components inaccessible to manufactures of ammo

Plan number 2 , Let the word out to the Hoarders and gun show exhibit people

plan number 3 , Tell the small gun shops in your area they have to build a powder bunker to have more than 15 lbs
of powder , only in 1 lb containers

plan number 4 , Let California lead the way to NO Guns for private use.......with Fienhole ,Boxass in office

Actally the govt didn't have to do anything. The NRA has done a great job running up prices for the manufacturing lobby they represent.

Our federal government has something to do with everything. Don't kid yourself, they work hard to generate panic through media outlets. When you have an anti-gun agenda, but want to avoid all out civil war, you abandon overt techniques and pursue that agenda more subtly. That said, I don't think primers and powders cost anymore than they did two years ago, retail. It's just way more difficult to catch a sale on em. .22LR ammo, on the other hand, still defies all logic. I can't, for the life of me, figure out who's halted the supply of those. I'm just not buying that "hoarders" have panicked into buying up the global supply.

Not kidding myself, the NRA is who has run up both gun and ammo prices with their get em before its outlawed message. Gun/ammo companies could not be happier. I am just thankful the NRA is silent the rest of the stuff I buy.

You don't think this has anything to do with it??? I know it does as I am living with it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NY_SAFE_Act
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 9033,d.cWc

http://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/n ... uying-ammo
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:03 pm

one of the biggest reasons for price increases is that distributors that only sale to ffl holders and or do not sell to public through there own websites are putting the ffl dealer pricing on high side(since they are not getting product to sell that is in high demand) then the gun shops have to make there profit so there doors can be open. Overhead is killer and amount of money in product on the shelfs is large some of cash, just setting there. I have products on backorder that have been on backorder for up to 8 months.

the last 6 months as been grim for 22lr ammo, I was getting it every 3 weeks up tell then all i wanted.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes