Duck Hunting Forum banner

slug reloading help please

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  culot 
#1 ·
So I got a lee 7/8 drive key slug mold and I made up a few hundred and got them on the scale and came in at about 350gr not the 382 they should be so can I start with 7/8 load data and maybe work it up or is that not a good idea also is there any one out there that has loaded these and sped them up at all or can I just keep the 7/8 charge and pick up speed by having a lighter slug thoughts ideas any thing would help

#2 ·
There are loadings listed in several manuals and BPI have a booklet on loading slugs.

DO NOT SUBSTITUTE REGULAR SHOT WEIGHT DATA FOR SLUGS. USE ONLY PUBLISHED DATA FOR SLUGS!!!!!!!!!!

Lost

#4 ·
Rob MacK said:
goose_gunner said:
So I got a lee 7/8 drive key slug mold and I made up a few hundred and got them on the scale and came in at about 350gr not the 382 they should be so can I start with 7/8 load data and maybe work it up or is that not a good idea also is there any one out there that has loaded these and sped them up at all or can I just keep the 7/8 charge and pick up speed by having a lighter slug thoughts ideas any thing would help
What did you use for lead/alloy? I have the 1oz version here. I will check what they weigh and let you know. I used soft lead for mine.

Rob
So they came out at 444gns vs 438gns so pretty close for all. I am just wondering if your alloy would have changed the weight on you.

Rob

#5 ·
Hi

I dont now if you have vihtavouri powder in your area , but slug loader in Sweden use N-320 and have really god result
With that slug , you can improve it fill the holes with gluegun and cut the end flat with a sharp carpet knife.
This protect the bottom of wad , B& P Z2M and its' a good wad for european hulls using key slug

/Peter

#7 ·
culot said:
goose_gunner said:
Hi

I dont now if you have vihtavouri powder in your area , but slug loader in Sweden use N-320 and have really God result
With that slug , you can improve it fill the holes with gluegun and cut the end flat with a sharp carpet knife.
This protect the bottom of wad , B& P Z2M and its' a good wad for european hulls using key slug

/Peter
I have a friend who does that now that you mention it. I may take the weight up to the proper amont too.

Rob

#8 ·
Rob MacK said:
culot said:
goose_gunner said:
Hi

I dont now if you have vihtavouri powder in your area , but slug loader in Sweden use N-320 and have really God result

/Peter
I have a friend who does that now that you mention it. I may take the weight up to the proper amont too.

Rob
My favorite is the Lyman 525 diabol + hot glue filling , Z2M 18 maby z2m21 and if you find VV N-340 powder
2,05 -2,15 GRAM is a real screamer, Rollcrimp with a geap T3 approx 450-460m/sec ( sorry for using metric )
Hull is Fiocchi 2 3/4 616 primer closed 58,5 - 59mm final height

/ Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.