ITX Shot Rusting.

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

ITX Shot Rusting.

Postby Rob R. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:46 am

I have a whole bag of ITX # 2's that I opened the other day only to find that 1/2 the bag is badly rusting. Some were rusting so bad that I had clumps of 3-4 pellets that were completely stuck together. The shot was safely in my storage cabinet in my garrage along with all my other components. No issue with any of the Bismuth, steel or TSS. I went back and looked through both ITX manuals 6 & 7 to see if there is any mention of this stuff possibly rusting and I saw nothing? Funny they never mentioned this possibility. Has anybody else that uses this stuff had the same issue? I have used Bismuth for the last 13 years and decided to try ITX this year. I think I am going back to Bismuth. I will contact Ballistic Products to see about returning this stuff. :sad:

Rob
Rob R.
hunter

Re: ITX Shot Rusting.

Postby Theduckguru » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Rob R. wrote:I have a whole bag of ITX # 2's that I opened the other day only to find that 1/2 the bag is badly rusting. Some were rusting so bad that I had clumps of 3-4 pellets that were completely stuck together. The shot was safely in my storage cabinet in my garrage along with all my other components. No issue with any of the Bismuth, steel or TSS. I went back and looked through both ITX manuals 6 & 7 to see if there is any mention of this stuff possibly rusting and I saw nothing? Funny they never mentioned this possibility. Has anybody else that uses this stuff had the same issue? I have used Bismuth for the last 13 years and decided to try ITX this year. I think I am going back to Bismuth. I will contact Ballistic Products to see about returning this stuff. :sad:

Rob

The problem sounds like contaminants from the manufacturing process.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 11 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Re: ITX Shot Rusting.

Postby RockedEm » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:22 am

I have had some itx #2 around for about 3 years and it has no rust. But I keep it in an empty Hawaiian punch type plastic jug (along with all my shot) my nontox shot (steel/iron) has silica packs in with it just in case.

Rockedem
RockedEm
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes