Winchester Xpert

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Winchester Xpert

Postby Jimmy82 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:14 pm

I'm betting someone has probably already talked about these shells, but I had some things I thought I would bring up. The new method they use to make the pellets does not produce uniform pellets. I pulled some apart and there is visible differences in size of pellets. Even pellets from the same shell.

Secondly and more disturbing to me is that after a couple of very wet hunts where I did my best to keep my shells dry even in ziploc bags inside of tupperware they still got wet and a good amount of water got into the shot cups. I didn't realize until I was drying out my gear and water was dripping from inside the shells. I noticed that the rounds I had shot that day had bulging primers where as the ones I had checked after an earlier dry hunt had not bulged. I scrapped the few remaining rounds I had left and bought some Remington. The water was coming out rusty colored, but the pellets had no large rust deposites on them. None were rusted together. They looked parkerized to be honest.

They appear to try and melt the center of the crimp together, but most of the shells they had melted to much and the holes were larger than if they had just crimped like normal. On the bright side, I have some red hulls and some green hulls now and my kids want to make Christmas light out of them.
Jimmy82
hunter

Re: Winchester Xpert

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Okay.
mudpack
hunter

Postby wildernessninja » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:03 am

there not the best shell but they still kill ducks at a good price.have seen some have hulls split but I personaly never had that problem.they pattern well out of my 870.if you want a nice shell federal in the blue box are cheap to better quality to.
wildernessninja
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:07 am

Here's what the ammo companies know. First, inside of about 35 yards, most any load will effectively kill ducks, and 35 yards is about the range that most people should be shooting anyway. They also know that the average guy is generally way over choked to be really effective at that range. By making loads that are "difficult to hold together", they actually help the average guy in his quest to kill more ducks. That's the ballistics part, but keep it in mind.

The economics part is just about as simple. Most people choose their loads by price. And that means TWO things. The bulk of the people will reach for whatever is cheapest. In Winchester's case, this means the Xperts. But there is another faction that will try and buy success. They figure that if it costs more, it must be better. So, they wrap those loads in some sexy packaging, make some outlandish claims and launch an ad campaign telling everyone things that simply aren't true and can't be quantified and put a premium price on them. For Winchester, that means BlindSide.

Finally, they realize that there is a group of dedicated, knowledgeable waterfowlers that understand shotshell ballistics and have the skill to make clean kills well beyond those initial 35 yards when the situation calls for it. Here, the manufacturers provide very round, uniform steel shot with good wads in a waterproof package launched at a modest, but not excessive, velocity. For Winchester, this means Dryloks.

That about covers it.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:49 am

Heh, yeah I'm usually on a budget.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:50 am

There are low cost alternatives that have nice round shot at modest velocity. Two that I have used with excellent success, Remington Sportsman and Federal Speed Shok. Both of those loads are available in 3" at a listed 1400 fps for 1 1/4 oz of steel shot as well as several other loadings Last year the Remingtons were available locally for $90 a case and the Feds were $100 a case. I can just about promise you one of those loads will pattern well in you gun with the proper choke and shot size. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too, even if you don't reload.

No shell is really meant to be long under water although some are worse than others ie. Expert and Kent.
z51
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:41 am

Jimmy,

I hear ya! Have a read of z51's post. He's spot on. Of the two loads he mentions, the Federals are a little dirtier. I shoot a Beretta A390, but I'm a little anal about cleaning, so it isn't a problem. The thing that I found, comparing the Xperts to the Sportsmans Steel and the Federal SpeedShok is that the latter two will hold the pattern a bit longer. I never really tested downrange penetration of the loads, but it seems to me that it could be an issue with the Winchesters vs the other two. Don't get me wrong, the Winchesters will kill ducks. I try and set my rig to shoot inside of 40 to 45 yards max, and usually my shots are in the 25 to 30 yard range. The Xperts work fine there. But, if there is a wounded bird in the air, we keep shooting until the bird is down or we're out of ammunition. With the Remingtons or the Federals the pattern holding together a bit longer makes a difference.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:31 am

I try to keep my shots close. Went through about 2 boxes worth of shells for 7 ducks and 1 canada before I had to go overseas. My hit ratio is much better on Woodcock, I almost had a 1 for 1 average for 7 Woodcock. I figure most of the time the ducks are crossing or approaching and the Woodcock are flying away. Rather baffling to have such success on a smaller bird flying through the woods like a stunt plane and miss ducks locked in feet down. I use my SKB O/U for Grouse and Woodcock, but I don't want to take that gun duck hunting.

I didn't have the Remingtons long enough to really tell if they made a difference, but I had a very clean kill with one on the last duck I took. 20 yds max crossing right to left, one shot, dead on impact. I didn't pattern, and I know some of you would smack me up side the head for it. However, I will before next season, at least checking different chokes on a couple different guns. It'll be hard to justify to the household budget comity buying 4 or 5 different boxes of shells and then not using 3 or 4 of them. :fingerhead:

I always hear about people using tight chokes, but I have wondered if an IC when hunting over decoys would make a difference.
Jimmy82
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes