Hunting ammo for practice.

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Hunting ammo for practice.

Postby Dirtroadkid89 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Ok I know that it is recommended to use 7 1/2 or 8 shot with clays or skeet but wouldn't It make sense to shoot the same equipment that you hunt with. I hunt with Remington or kent 3" #4s and 3-3 1/2" #2s or BBs for geese. All with a modified extended Carlson's choke, not a trap or skeet choke. I get they are more expensive than skeet rounds and chokes, but it seems like that would be the way to practice. I've always wondered this and just wanted to get some of your opinions.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Dirtroadkid89
hunter

Re: Hunting ammo for practice.

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Dirtroadkid89 wrote:Ok I know that it is recommended to use 7 1/2 or 8 shot with clays or skeet but wouldn't It make sense to shoot the same equipment that you hunt with. I hunt with Remington or kent 3" #4s and 3-3 1/2" #2s or BBs for geese. All with a modified extended Carlson's choke, not a trap or skeet choke. I get they are more expensive than skeet rounds and chokes, but it seems like that would be the way to practice. I've always wondered this and just wanted to get some of your opinions.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

It really isn't necessary. Using the same gun, yes, that makes some sense. But even then things like the clothing you happen to be wearing will have an effect on how the gun fits you.

Practice is important, and any clay target shooting in the off season will definitely help. Learn to read the line and feel the lead, and whatever shell you happen to be using will not make any difference.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby skb20 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:37 pm

Some very knowledgeable folks advise keeping velocity reasonably consistent between hunting and practice ammo. Plus or minus 50-75 fps as I recall. Conversely, no one in their right mind is going to be shooting a lot of clays with 3-3.5" loads. I try to keep velocity reasonably consistent and shot material the same between hunting and practice loads. But probably most any practice is better than none...... except for maybe beating crap out of ourselves shooting lots of clays with really heavy loads.
skb20
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:56 pm

One very good reason for not using hunting loads on skeet and trap fields is that 7 1/2 is the largest shot size they will allow.

The difference in lead changes going from 1200fps target loads to 1400/1500fps hunting loads in a worse case scenario (skeet station 5) is about four inches. Not enough to worry about; if you can keep your shots within +/- 4", you don't need to practice.

Any practice you get during the off-season, with any target load, will help you improve your hit ratio on live birds.
mudpack
hunter

Postby John Singer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Another good reason for not using hunting loads for off season practice is the recoil that they generate. I have said for years that nothing positive comes from recoil. I propose that using such loads for practice will contribute to flinching or blinking. The risk of developing a bad habit is high when using loads with high recoil.

Like others have stated, it is not necessary or even desirable to use hunting loads for practice in the off season.
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:20 pm

If you want to maintain your duck loads velocity , you can load 34 grs of Longshot under 1 1/8 oz of lead ! It's a loud
Bastard but , it's right up there in speed . Just shooting a regular 1200 fps lead load of 1 1/8 oz is all you need for trigger
time along with good mechanics of move ,mount and focus on the led-edge of the target . In time with experience of forward
allowance you'll understand ( and feel ) what you need to see . Mounting your gun while looking into a mirror , if the gun fits ,
you should be able to see that your shooting eye ( pupil ) is lined-up in back of the beads , this is a great memory exercise
that is needed when shooting a shotgun .

What do I know shooting 30,000 shells a year ? :huh: :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:44 pm

3200 - exactly! Trigger time, swing, mount.... Make them second nature and the computer in your head will make the minor lead adjustments.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes