Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby Goosebuster13 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Anyone notice problems with shooting thinner wad shells (e.g. thin kent vs thicker federal) through a terror choke or drake killer? Read some stuff that thinner wad shells are more at risk for bulging a choke like a terror and that the pin holing can damage the barrel. Don't really know or see how both could be true but looking for anyone's input on that.


thanks
Goosebuster13
hunter
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:51 pm


Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:19 am

My rule of thumb is I dont load pellets any larger than B size for the 12ga. If I want to shoot bigger pellets, I do so with the 10ga. I mainly shoot a SBE with Terror chokes and B&P wads which are the same wads that Kent uses. I have shot alot of the Kent #1s through my .685 Terror with no problems.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 3070
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:02 am

10gaOkie wrote:My rule of thumb is I dont load pellets any larger than B size for the 12ga. If I want to shoot bigger pellets, I do so with the 10ga. I mainly shoot a SBE with Terror chokes and B&P wads which are the same wads that Kent uses. I have shot alot of the Kent #1s through my .685 Terror with no problems.

Chris


Chris,
Have you shot any thicker wads like Precision's 3" wad or 3"MM? If so did you notice a difference in your terror. I haven't experimented with mine much yet

Kris
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
User avatar
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 4:17 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby Goosebuster13 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:08 pm

I have shot both kent and federal speedshok which has quite a thick wad. however, i havent shot kent through my sbe2 only my old sbe1. i shot the 1550 and the 1625 and the 1625 is what bulged my choke so i quit shooting that. unfortunately, thats a benelli issue not a choke issue. i was considering going back to the kents though hence why i asked this question. the federals do shoot well out of my sbe2 and they use to be available at walmart so they were cheap and easy to get.
Goosebuster13
hunter
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Kris
I have only used the B&P, CDS, VP which are all thin and the RSI. I dont think the swelling of chokes has to do with the thickness of the wads. I think it is solely due to pellet size used along with payload size. That is why for 12ga, I stick with #2s or #1s for the most part. I use these sizes on big geese as well with good success.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 3070
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby Goosebuster13 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:27 pm

i agree that wad type has nothing to do with swelling. regardless of thickness if there is enough pressure to bulge steel there is obviously enough to bulge plastic. i agree that payload, pellet size, and speed play a factor. i was shooting 3.5" BB at 1625 and think it was just too much to neck down at that speed. it didnt influence my opinion of jeff or the terror chokes one bit as everyone in my family now has em and i own 2 for my sbe2. wouldnt trade them for anything. also, the terrors are the only choke tube that is machined from a solid piece of bar stock. all other chokes are rolled.
Goosebuster13
hunter
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:36 am

Goosebuster13 wrote:i agree that wad type has nothing to do with swelling. regardless of thickness if there is enough pressure to bulge steel there is obviously enough to bulge plastic. i agree that payload, pellet size, and speed play a factor. i was shooting 3.5" BB at 1625 and think it was just too much to neck down at that speed. it didnt influence my opinion of jeff or the terror chokes one bit as everyone in my family now has em and i own 2 for my sbe2. wouldnt trade them for anything. also, the terrors are the only choke tube that is machined from a solid piece of bar stock. all other chokes are rolled.


"rolled"???? I would have thought they would be made from tubing or DOM tubing or perhaps even thin wall seamless pipe but I would never have thought of them being "rolled". Perhaps you could expand on this a bit.....
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4505
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby Goosebuster13 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:55 am

a lot of the high quality aftermarket factory chokes now days are cnc or lathed. i know some chokes use to have the threads rolled. I am merely restating what i was told by a machinist who worked with jeff on the chokes. maybe my understanding of his terminology isnt the same lol.
Goosebuster13
hunter
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:06 am

Goosebuster13 wrote:a lot of the high quality aftermarket factory chokes now days are cnc or lathed. i know some chokes use to have the threads rolled. I am merely restating what i was told by a machinist who worked with jeff on the chokes. maybe my understanding of his terminology isnt the same lol.


Had you written "rolled" threads, in the same sentence as your description of the stock that the tubes are made from would have clarified your meaning immensely.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4505
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby 3200 man » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:14 am

Rolled Oats but not Rolled Chokes ? :lol3:

Swollen chokes are from radial pressure so as the saying goes , stuffing 3 pounds of....in a 2 pound bag ......it will swell ! :huh:

I guess that's why choke manufactures limit shot size while using their chokes ? :yes:
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby Jon Bergren » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:44 am

Goosebuster13 wrote:Anyone notice problems with shooting thinner wad shells (e.g. thin kent vs thicker federal) through a terror choke or drake killer? Read some stuff that thinner wad shells are more at risk for bulging a choke like a terror and that the pin holing can damage the barrel. Don't really know or see how both could be true but looking for anyone's input on that.


thanks


Thin wads shotcups amd Terror choke has nothing to with barrel damage. I have shot many a RSI cup thru Terror chokes. I have to use MM shotcups in my 935 to prevent blowby. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby C M Wings » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:53 am

I don't believe shot size matters much. A TUP28 wad only holds so much shot - 1 ounce of small shot and 7/8 ounce of T shot for example. There is a lot of room for the T shot to maneuver - not so much for 4s - as it goes down the tube. But regardless - there is room for pellets to do their thing. I would agree that velocity plays a role - but again, not because of the speed of the steel hitting the choke, but because of the barrel pressure required to generate the velocity. The barrel is thinnest right where the choke bottoms out if it is not seated properly, all the way down - which is easy NOT to do with even a little gunk on the choke or in the barrel. I have a tap for my barrel and run it on the threads to make sure they are clean, and then I make sure there is no dirt or crud at the barrel/choke interface, then I put in the choke and give it a little torque. Doesn't take much of a gap there to create a thin walled barrel. Ever notice your tubes coming loose? Same deal.

Just my opinion, but so far, no bulged barrels.....

Watch me do it patterning this weekend.

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:35 pm

Re: Terror & Thin wads (e.g. kent etc)

Postby UmatillaJeff » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:49 pm

The bulged chokes I have seen were when big steel was shot through a full choke as designated by choke constriction and not marketing hype.

I still have yet to see a pattern with a terror choke that outshoots a LM Briley with big shot. But then again... I pattern where it matters at 60 yards. Jeff
Duck hunters chat.. a place where people who never shoot past 40 yards explain how to do it better to the guys who do it all the time.
UmatillaJeff
hunter
 
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm


Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests