CLBC wads and T steel

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Re: CLBC wads and T steel

Postby baltz526 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Kent loads BBB in the TUWSBL35 But B&P says no larger than #3 steel.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:15 pm

I figured that the shot size limitation was volume based, not size based. I only have a handful of T's loaded and will just cut them and reuse the components, and look to other components for Ts. Thanks.

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:53 pm

What happened to my posts??? I had a lot of time invested in posting this stuff for you guys....
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:27 pm

steelshotshooter wrote:Chris,

I just sent you an e-mail...

I would be careful about certain wads for T steel loads. I know from use, that the Ranger Plus will easily handle T steel shot, as we have shot probably 3,000 of these without having any of the steel pellets contact and scratch the bore...

Other than the Ranger Plus, CLBC and BP-12 Tuff wads, I cannot comment on any other wads on the market, as these are the only three wads we have used with T steel...

A duck hunt would be absolutely awesome! Maybe we can do something like that this next duck season. I look forward to it....

Just FYI - the BP-12 Tuff wad is now just the BP12.

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:20 pm

steelshotshooter wrote:What happened to my posts??? I had a lot of time invested in posting this stuff for you guys....

Im interested in your patterns-any chance of posting some up?
solway gunner
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:59 pm

Joe - the standard BP-12 wad is NOT the same as the BP-12 Tuff! These two wads are totally different in composition and the regular BP-12 wad WILL score the snot out of a barrels bore in short order. Ask me how I know this...

Solway gunner - I have not been able to do any pattern testing with these new loads because of the winds we have been having every day since I loaded them. Rest assured, I will be posting patterns when we get a calm day to shoot....
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Steel shooter, that's good to know! I was just relating what I saw on the website.

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:00 am

steelshotshooter wrote:Joe - the standard BP-12 wad is NOT the same as the BP-12 Tuff! These two wads are totally different in composition and the regular BP-12 wad WILL score the snot out of a barrels bore in short order. Ask me how I know this...

You really need to get your facts straight before you start slinging more of what you have been
Straight off of BP's website
BP12-Tuff note:

The BP12-Tuff was discontinued due to the Multi-Metal capabilities of the BP12. The BP12 is molded our tungsten and steel resistant LL material, which will protect barrels like the former BP12-Tuff. Therefore, the modern BP12 wad may be used in any BP12-Tuff load data.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:13 am

baltz526 wrote:New hulls can lower pressure.

Very true, but Herco is a bit on the touchy side to say the least.
Herco is what I at least call a very narrow range powder. In some applications it works very, very well but it has a very limited range of applications that it does well in. Herco makes some really accurate pistol loads in applications like 9mm and 38 super and it makes some really good heavier lead loads. Problem being Herco goes overpressure very fast in some application's and doesn't have enough energy to be any better than other powders, it's basically an older powder that gets outpaced by more modern high energy powders. I quite honestly believe that pistol shooters are keeping Herco popular because compared to more modern powders that are out there now it's been totally overshadowed for shotgun use, my own thoughts.
It's not really suited to steel shot applications or should I say as suited as other more modern powders or even some single based powders like SR4756 which is quite a bit more forging than Herco is.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:16 am

BT Justice wrote:
steelshotshooter wrote:Joe - the standard BP-12 wad is NOT the same as the BP-12 Tuff! These two wads are totally different in composition and the regular BP-12 wad WILL score the snot out of a barrels bore in short order. Ask me how I know this...

You really need to get your facts straight before you start slinging more of what you have been
Straight off of BP's website
BP12-Tuff note:

The BP12-Tuff was discontinued due to the Multi-Metal capabilities of the BP12. The BP12 is molded our tungsten and steel resistant LL material, which will protect barrels like the former BP12-Tuff. Therefore, the modern BP12 wad may be used in any BP12-Tuff load data.

If you don't mind a scored barrel, then use the regular BP-12 wads. They are NOT designed for STEEL SHOT! When I was looking for a replacement wad since the "Tuff" wads were discontinued, not a single person at BPI recommend using the regular BP-12 wads. They might have it in print but, no one there will recommend it for STEEL SHOT! Those wads are too soft and flimsy and steel pellets scrub through the wad very easily. I'm not talking about little pin holes either. We took BPI's advise (in one of their manuals) loaded and shot our sameloads we had shot for over 15 years, and in a solid day of shooting, we destroyed the 3 barrels we were hunting with! You could not even count all the scores in any of the three barrels. I don't give a pucker under a rats tail what BP's manual says, the regular BP-12 wad is NOT DESIGNED FOR STEEL SHOT! That's why they don't recommend it over the telephone and why I changed to the CLBC wads, as that was what they recommended as a "suitable replacement"....
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 am

BT Justice wrote:
baltz526 wrote:New hulls can lower pressure.

Very true, but Herco is a bit on the touchy side to say the least.
Herco is what I at least call a very narrow range powder. In some applications it works very, very well but it has a very limited range of applications that it does well in. Herco makes some really accurate pistol loads in applications like 9mm and 38 super and it makes some really good heavier lead loads. Problem being Herco goes overpressure very fast in some application's and doesn't have enough energy to be any better than other powders, it's basically an older powder that gets outpaced by more modern high energy powders. I quite honestly believe that pistol shooters are keeping Herco popular because compared to more modern powders that are out there now it's been totally overshadowed for shotgun use, my own thoughts.
It's not really suited to steel shot applications or should I say as suited as other more modern powders or even some single based powders like SR4756 which is quite a bit more forging than Herco is.
I use Herco in my 12ga Buckshot loads. It fits the 12ga 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz -1 1/4oz buck shot roll Ok. 1175-1250fps at 10,000psi range. I do not have a lot of Herco so never thought to use it for steel.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:06 pm

I used Herco for steel shot loads, back when we first started loading for steel back in the late 80's, early 90's. Until this last load, we had pretty much gone to Blue Dot, 4756 and HS6. Herco though, has been one of the best powders for 7/8 oz. loads when it gets COLD!!!
steelshotshooter
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes