Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby baltz526 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:00 pm

grnhd wrote:The patterns posted kinda supports my personal opinion that a 1 1/4 load of 1's isn't really a great duck load. The pattern that baltz posted is a duck grinder at 40 yards but heck you can kill ducks at 40 with 3's with better pattern density. The 50 yard pattern posted doesn't have enough pattern density for ducks, again my opinion. But Cannon shoots more ducks than I do so what the heck do I know :lol3: :bow:
Most hunters do not start shooting at a 50yrd duck, But they might finish shooting beyond that. We use #1 steel for the last shot potential range and it crushes birds closer. A great day here, Our birds might consist of Gadwall, Mallard, Pintail, Canvas Back, redhead, Widgeon, Spec, Snow goose, Western Canada. All on the same Duck strap over a 3-4 day hunt. Not A #3 steel mix, But #1 steel gets it done.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
User avatar
baltz526
hunter
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Lapine Oregon


Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby grnhd » Sat May 10, 2014 7:20 am

baltz526 wrote:
grnhd wrote:The patterns posted kinda supports my personal opinion that a 1 1/4 load of 1's isn't really a great duck load. The pattern that baltz posted is a duck grinder at 40 yards but heck you can kill ducks at 40 with 3's with better pattern density. The 50 yard pattern posted doesn't have enough pattern density for ducks, again my opinion. But Cannon shoots more ducks than I do so what the heck do I know :lol3: :bow:
Most hunters do not start shooting at a 50yrd duck, But they might finish shooting beyond that. We use #1 steel for the last shot potential range and it crushes birds closer. A great day here, Our birds might consist of Gadwall, Mallard, Pintail, Canvas Back, redhead, Widgeon, Spec, Snow goose, Western Canada. All on the same Duck strap over a 3-4 day hunt. Not A #3 steel mix, But #1 steel gets it done.


Heck, that would be a great day anywhere!

I agree with you that for a do all pellet size 1's is the way to go hands down. I've found that the 1 1/4 load of 1's to thin at long range for ducks(50 and over). But use what works for you brother :thumbsup:
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 am
Location: suwanee,ky

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat May 10, 2014 9:40 am

For a pure duck load, the Kent 1 1/4oz load of 1s is at the top of my list. Its not wind sensitive and usually puts a duck down for keeps. Hunting in brushy areas, cripples can cost you some lost birds. However, if you reload, you can improve quite a bit on the Kent factory load making for more dense patterns. An average 45 yard pattern using the Kents is 92/129. Even at that, the Kent load is still my chosen factory load for ducks. Next season, I intend to go with the factory 1oz load of #1s in 20ga for my duck load.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby Quacker-Wacker » Sat May 10, 2014 12:38 pm

I just loaded up a couple of the 3" 1-1/4oz loads with #1s and Bs. (3" ched hull, ched cx2000, 35 gr ASTEEL, B&P35 wad) Loaded up real nice. Lots of room even for a full 1-1/4oz Bs. Now if this wind would stop blowing I could pattern them! :thumbsup:
User avatar
Quacker-Wacker
hunter
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:24 am
Location: Between Buffalo and Niagara Falls NY

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat May 10, 2014 12:50 pm

A few years back, during mid season, open water hunting, I switched to the Kent load of 1s. That load quickly pulled me up by my boot straps. After that, I was determined to come up with a reload that was equal to it. As it turned out, I came up with one much better as for patterns and higher hit percentage. That load was my 36gr load with a new Ched hull, Ched primer, B&P 35 wad and rto crimp. Later on, I tested that same load, dropping back one grain of powder to 35gr with folded crimp. I still like the rto crimp version the best the the folded crimp load is still better than the factory Kent load.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby Quacker-Wacker » Sat May 10, 2014 1:18 pm

So what choke should I start patterning this load with, mod or imp mod in my new Hastings barrel?
User avatar
Quacker-Wacker
hunter
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:24 am
Location: Between Buffalo and Niagara Falls NY

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby 3200 man » Sat May 10, 2014 1:44 pm

Good question !

For me , a LM (.015 ) over decoys and a IM (.025 ) for as far as I can hit'em does the trick . Your mileage will very ,
until you pattern what you have ! :huh: :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 3055
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby baltz526 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:50 pm

In the wingmaster I use the Briley Extreme range and the Truelock IM .705" Both shoot very well with the Briley slightly better at 50yrds. Probably will not help much for the wadloc barrel. Different beast.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
User avatar
baltz526
hunter
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Lapine Oregon

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby MIDTENNHTR » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Depends on how your gun/choke patterns the load. My stock improved in my stoeger m3000 gets me anywhere from 110-120 out of the stock kent load at 40 yards. Not really an improved pattern but smashes snows and mallards :smile: Gotta love stock chokes.
MIDTENNHTR
hunter
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby 3200 man » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:27 pm

My 870 WM fixed choke .704 patterns 1 1/4 oz of 1's really well to , I don't get 90 % but enough to be effective out past 50 yds .
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 3055
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby goosepit2007 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:38 pm

i have been shooting the 35 grains of asteel powder load and bnp 35 wad in cheddite hull ever since bnp wads have been avaible to dealers for resale to shooting public.

with 1's in browning golds/winchester sx2 i use carlson's improved mod 90 percent of time and full choke rest of time. been very good gun choke combo, for alot of years very good even patterns with high percentages at 40 yards that gets me to 50 yards for mallards real easy...when of my favorite 3 inch loads.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby Jon Bergren » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 am

With tje RSI 75 load and 1's with 1 3/16 oz of shot I can get 100% patterns at 40 yds with my 1100 and Hastings barrel, with the 935 96%. At 1550 fps 1's will penetrate to kill to 57.4 yds. Great for spooky mallards at the end of the season. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:09 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:With tje RSI 75 load and 1's with 1 3/16 oz of shot I can get 100% patterns at 40 yds with my 1100 and Hastings barrel, with the 935 96%. At 1550 fps 1's will penetrate to kill to 57.4 yds. Great for spooky mallards at the end of the season. Ned S


The early manufactured Hastings barrels were of the smooth bore design, later they replaced these with Wadlocks. Is the Hastings barrel you refer to the smooth bore or the Wadlock?
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: New Brunswick, Eastern Canada

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby Jon Bergren » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:40 pm

lostknife4 wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:With tje RSI 75 load and 1's with 1 3/16 oz of shot I can get 100% patterns at 40 yds with my 1100 and Hastings barrel, with the 935 96%. At 1550 fps 1's will penetrate to kill to 57.4 yds. Great for spooky mallards at the end of the season. Ned S


The early manufactured Hastings barrels were of the smooth bore design, later they replaced these with Wadlocks. Is the Hastings barrel you refer to the smooth bore or the Wadlock?
Lost


I have Two Wadlocks for my Rems. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:38 am

Jon Bergren wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:With tje RSI 75 load and 1's with 1 3/16 oz of shot I can get 100% patterns at 40 yds with my 1100 and Hastings barrel, with the 935 96%. At 1550 fps 1's will penetrate to kill to 57.4 yds. Great for spooky mallards at the end of the season. Ned S


The early manufactured Hastings barrels were of the smooth bore design, later they replaced these with Wadlocks. Is the Hastings barrel you refer to the smooth bore or the Wadlock?
Lost


I have Two Wadlocks for my Rems. Ned S


I have just received a PM that advises me that Hastings have made the smooth bore barrels recently too so I guess there is no firm and fast rules about obsolescence with Hastings. I just wish they would currently produce the Wadlock for the BPS's.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: New Brunswick, Eastern Canada

Re: Kent 3" 1 1/4 #1

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:29 am

[quote="Quacker-Wacker"]So what choke should I start patterning this load with, mod or imp mod in my new Hastings barrel?[/quote]
In a Wadlock barrel, stick with the flush Hastings chokes that came with the barrel. They are hard to beat! In mine, I prefer the full but try them all on the pattern board to fit your shooting needs.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests