Rem 10 gauge 1 3/4oz BBB in close.

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Rem 10 gauge 1 3/4oz BBB in close.

Postby Rob MacK » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:41 pm

So I bought a bunch of this on sale cheap for the hulls really. It moves out at a whopping 1260fps. So I decided I would pattern at 35 yds as I intend to use it for close range layout blind type work. I put in the factory IC (Browning BPS) and started to take my shots. I averaged over 90% at a measured 35 yds. I had hoped it would be more open than that. I expect that at 40 it would still be quite dense. Anyone else shoot this? What did you see when you patterend it?

Just as a point of interes 1 5/8oz BB in Blackcloud opened up more.

Thanks

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Re: Rem 10 gauge 1 3/4oz BBB in close.

Postby 1448jonboat » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:20 pm

The manufacturer probably intended that load to be used for longer range goose hunting and that is why it isn't opening up too much.
1448jonboat
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:37 pm

maybe give cylinder choke a try, might open it abit
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:38 pm

The manufacturer probably intended for the IC tube to be a short range choke and was not intended to produce patterns denser than 90% at 35 yards. I'd say you're getting even more than you should expect with that choke/range.
mudpack
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:27 pm

Buy one of those "spirally" tubes, that will open it up !!!
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Theircommited10 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Just curious where you found those ? I've shot those before and liked them . Thanks .
Theircommited10
DHC Sponsor

Postby nitram » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Theircommited10 wrote:Just curious where you found those ? I've shot those before and liked them . Thanks .

Try "The Sportsman's Guide". I picked up a case of Remington Nitro-Steel 1.75 oz. BBB from them back in October for $205 shipped.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Look... That is a duck wacking pattern. You can widen it all you want. You are not missing birds by enough to get them with a wider pattern. We have videoed lots and lots of guys and we have learned that at 40 yards they are missing by many,many feet. so much that another entire shot load would not have fringed the bird let alone killed it.

If you need proof of what I am telling you, just have a friend video tape you shooting starlings, pigeons or even clay birds. You will soon learn that an open choke only helps at very close range.

The pattern you have is going to work with BRUTAL efficiency. You are going to see more dead ducks then you have ever seen unless you have been using big shot already in another gun.

Trust me. Don't change a thing unless you are going to shoot over 50 yards. Jeff
Count all the times you shoot a bird on the water. This will teach you about how effective the shells you think are so great are.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby Theircommited10 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Jeff I recall over the years your preaching of BIG steel T SHOT for ten gauge guns . Just curious to pick your brain a little your experiences with it . I assume handloads ? Choke Tubes ?

I've always been skeptical about Ts but have never given them a real fair go of things to get a solid load dialed in. -Gary
Theircommited10
DHC Sponsor

Postby Theduckguru » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Rob MacK wrote:So I bought a bunch of this on sale cheap for the hulls really. It moves out at a whopping 1260fps. So I decided I would pattern at 35 yds as I intend to use it for close range layout blind type work. I put in the factory IC (Browning BPS) and started to take my shots. I averaged over 90% at a measured 35 yds. I had hoped it would be more open than that. I expect that at 40 it would still be quite dense. Anyone else shoot this? What did you see when you patterend it?

Just as a point of interes 1 5/8oz BB in Blackcloud opened up more.

Thanks

Rob

That load is a good 50-60 yard load on big geese.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 11 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:43 am

There is no doubt that it will be effective or that it will reach out at distance. I was just surprised at how dense it was even for 35 yards. Typically with I/C at that range I dont see that density so it was a surprise. Having said that I have been surprised before at the pattern board so I suppose it should not have been a shock.

The BC was on sale too. Not that I was thinking it was the be all, end all, but when 10ga ammo is 1/2 price up here you buy it. Personally after shooting BC at snows this year I see no difference with it than anything else. If anything the standard handloads I used in BBB out preformed it noticably.

It was a tough day to pattern (windy,cold and snow banks) so I did not get a chance to check it at 50 or crony but I will.

I bought this at LeBaron in Ottawa, ON Canada so I dont think that will help the guys south of the border. I bought all ther stock in BBB and T.

Cheers,

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Rob MacK wrote:There is no doubt that it will be effective or that it will reach out at distance. I was just surprised at how dense it was even for 35 yards. Typically with I/C at that range I dont see that density so it was a surprise. Having said that I have been surprised before at the pattern board so I suppose it should not have been a shock.

The BC was on sale too. Not that I was thinking it was the be all, end all, but when 10ga ammo is 1/2 price up here you buy it. Personally after shooting BC at snows this year I see no difference with it than anything else. If anything the standard handloads I used in BBB out preformed it noticably.

It was a tough day to pattern (windy,cold and snow banks) so I did not get a chance to check it at 50 or crony but I will.

I bought this at LeBaron in Ottawa, ON Canada so I dont think that will help the guys south of the border. I bought all ther stock in BBB and T.

Cheers,

Rob

I don't find itall that suprising. That's why I like steel loads in the larger shot sizes at velocities <1400 fps.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 11 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:56 am

Shot that almost exclusively for years thru my Mag-10 with good results even though it was only 1250 fps. For years this was all there was until manufacturers started to up the speed........................
don novicki
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes