Digital scale?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Digital scale?

Postby mmig » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Which scales are best/most accurate for measuring gunpowder for steel shot?
mmig
hunter

Re: Digital scale?

Postby jake j » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Buy a bpi digital scale. Its 27$ and is pretty nice. Always check digital weighs on a beam scale to verify accuracy. I'm happy with this set up and it weighs shot and powder to 1543 grains I believe. Jake J.
Coots are the ugly bar whores of duck hunting... they're easy, plentiful, taste and smell just as good as any, and are always there when your itching for some action. Everyone secretly loves to blast em but only the bold take pride.
jake j
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:33 pm

I tried a digital scale and then went back to using a balance beam scale. Thats what I will stick with in the future.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby nitram » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Dillon D-Terminator or Gem Pro 250. Both offer top-notch customer service and will serve you well for years. I've used my Dillon (almost daily) for the past 18 years and have never had a problem. But there is a blue balance beam scale sitting in its box, somewhere on a shelf in my loading room.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby mmig » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:46 am

Which beam scales are best to check the digital against, and also load with as well?
mmig
hunter

Postby jake j » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:34 am

I wouldn't be afraid of any of the beam scales... their technology hasn't changed much in a millennium. The 505 rcbs I have came with my reloading kit long ago. The 1000 grain rcbs is $100 so I elected to simply do math and weigh say a 1 3/8 oz charge as 2 300.5 grain charges. I only load big #2 and larger pellets heavier than 7/8oz in steel anyways so one beam scale check then I use primer trays to scoop out my pellet counts. I honestly use the digital for powder mostly and it is faster. And at 27$ and a 10 year warranty that bpi scale beat everything else out there. Jake J.
Coots are the ugly bar whores of duck hunting... they're easy, plentiful, taste and smell just as good as any, and are always there when your itching for some action. Everyone secretly loves to blast em but only the bold take pride.
jake j
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:25 pm

I might add that I make my living, mixing diff colors of ink as a printer. I use a balance beam scale for that too. I cant afford to make mistakes depending on the accuracy of a digital scale. The balance beam never lies for any reason as long as no one else messes with my scale.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:39 pm

I have an RCBS digital scale that I bought years ago, and have used it maybe 4 times. It works perfectly, but I just prefer using my balance beam scales. Myself, I did not see any "time" benefit when using the electronic scale.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:07 pm

10gaOkie wrote:I tried a digital scale and then went back to using a balance beam scale. Thats what I will stick with in the future.

Chris

Ditto!
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes