Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Has anyone used this powder drop to measure STEEL powder?
Jon Bergren
hunter

Re: Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Yep, I have tried one. It is not accurate enough for use with A Steel powder. I use a RCBS Uniflow powder measure without a baffle. To do one powder charge, I do two drops. This is down up - down up, banging the handle each time. Also using the large volume drum installed in my Uniflow. If you ever loose or break a part in the Uniflow, RCBS will replace if free forever. You cant beat their customer service. If cost is a problem, find a used one on ebay. Just make sure you get the large drum with it. I have this measure mounted on my bench using the stand that is made for it. I have tried diff powder measures, namely Redding, Lee, CH, Pacific, Dillon, Texan and Lyman. Redding and Lyman would make a good second choice if not just as good as the RCBS.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:01 pm

Thanks Chris, I have Lyman. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Sorry Ned, I didnt notice that was you that posted the question. Otherwise I would have said, just stick with your Lyman. Oh well, maybe someone else can benefit from the info.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:55 pm

i have used /tested the lee perfect powder measure, for the price it is right, they are accurate with powder drop within .2 grains if i remember right with alliant steel powder. i use up stroke tap then bring down little ways and tap again on top of the upstroke. they do work perty good, price is right. the only thing that it does that the rcbs does not and well lyman ect is that the fine powders leaks past block and gets on the loading bench. but if use it with steel powder 800x ect it worked great. stick powders for rifle like 4831 and 4350 ect it had hard time cutting powder sticks, but worked just as good as uniflow. even with stick powders a guy had to trickle drop powder on ballance scale pan to get proper weight to be right on with the rcbs uniflow powder measurer. but that is only needed for loading rifle shells were a more exact powder drop is needed for hole for hole shots.

for price tag of 27 bucks or there abouts it would be right up there on list of powder measures if going to load steel powder loads!!

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:04 am

The Lee powder measure I got hold of and tried, did not give consistant drops with Steel powder for me. I used the same method that I use with the RCBS and could not get the same results using the Lee. I was doing 22gr single drops making up a total 44 grain charge for each shell. I was seeing a variation of as much as a third grain diff in total charge weight. At the low price of the Lee, I tought it would be a good back up measure for me. Maybe there are good ones and bad ones? At this point, I think I would want to take my chances on finding a cheap, well used RCBS for a back up measure.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:06 pm

I dug around in one of my storage cabinets and found the following powder drops, RCBS, Old Herters, broken Lee and of course the Lyman 55 which I knew I had. I tore the RCBS apart and cleaned it and it now is not bound up. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby Gcdhunter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:53 pm

I use the lee all the time dropping Steel powder but it is not accurate. It is usually within .5 grain for me. So I will finish off the drop with a small dipper. Its the most time consuming part of my reloading but also in my view the most important so I don't mind taking the extra time to make sure I'm right on.
I hate goose poop on my golf course
Gcdhunter
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes