I'm new to reloading...HELP!!!

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

I'm new to reloading...HELP!!!

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:29 am

Yes my grandpa just gave me his old reloader. He used it some but not a whole lot. I thought that i'd start trying to reload and mabey save a little money, and also to have fun and kill birds with a shell I made. I was wanting to know if any of you could help me out in getting started, mabye a reference to a book/dvd/website, or just your own word. The only supplies I've got now is some primers mabye some wads and 8,6,4 shot and a shell board to hold the shells in... I know i'll need to get some empty hulls, and some powder. But is there anything else i'll need? Thanks for any info in advance. :mrgreen:..........

PS:I've never reloaded a shell in my life so please don't get to technical.... :toofunny:

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jeepman:-) » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:18 am

Your best bet is to invest in a shotshell reloading guide. It will have all the info you need! DO NOT load those shells with mixed primers, powders, hulls, wads, or shot. Always check the manual for the correct stuff. Short story is when you mix stuff up other than whats in the manual you don't know what your barrel pressures are!!! You could be setting yourself up for failure!! :eek:
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of HIGH EXPLOSIVES!
Jeepman:-)
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up jeep man.... I did relise the wrong set up could create a problem... My grandpa reloaded lead shot for a few years, so he said he'd be able to help me out.... Is there a deffernece in reloading steel from lead? Thanks

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cashman » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:26 pm

a major difference in steel shot is that you HAVE to use a steel shot wad or you will ruin your barrel. I suppose you could just make sure the shot doesn't go past the end of the wad. Another difference is of the weight in loads. It will take a lot more steel shot to equal the weight of lead.
Cashman
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes