2 3/4 INCHERS!!!!

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

2 3/4 INCHERS!!!!

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:36 am

I curently got and awsome deal at wallmart on some Remington express and nitro STEEL #2 and #4 23/4 inch shells. I bought out wallmart walking away with about 25 boxes. I was wondering if these shells will have good power for ducks. In the past several years I've used Remingon 3" #2's. Will the shot size and the shorter shell make a big difference? Thanks in advance for any input...

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:41 pm

It all depends of payload and Velocity.

Compare the 3" to the 2.75" and usually the payload is 1/8 oz less but velocity is the same. Which means a shorter effect pattern density range.

It still should be good to 40 yds though. The #4 shot is great on small ducks like teal and woodies. the 2s are good on bigger ducks like Mallards.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mallyard » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:29 am

That was what I was kinda going for..... Ya wanna here a neat story.. Ok last year I had run out of big duck loads, so I put in 3 2.75 inch 6's, my teal shells. They where the winchester super X's. Any way This huge mallard was circling our deeks just at about 45 yards.... I finally got mad and said... "well i'll just put all three up at him, one bb will reach up there and mabye hit him."
So I pulled up and the first shot rolled him and when he hit the water he was dead. I couldn't belive that that small of a load could kill a mallard dead and around 50 yards.... Thanks for the info...:)

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:18 am

Frankly you got lucky....
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mallyard » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:20 am

yep... sure did. Probably got 1 or 2 bb's through the head...
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:59 pm

I use the same shell, and it is virtually the same shell as a 3" The number 1 plus to the shell is the ability to cycle flawlessly, and the weight is still one and one quarter ounce. If you shoot at decoying ducks, you'll have plenty of shell. I like to use NO.1's and 2's. It will knock a goose stone cold dead as well! Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ihuntducks » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:59 pm

Before I got my new gun, all I could shoot was 2.75 loads. I must have killed over a thousand ducks with 2.75 #2's. If you shoot ducks in range you dont really need 3 inchers...
hold still.....................hold still........................ TAKE 'EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes