Recipe Needed

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Recipe Needed

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Am in search of a 7/8 and/or 1 oz. load for the 16 gauge using TSS shot as I have a supply of it in #7.

Thanx in advance.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Re: Recipe Needed

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:02 am

You can reach Hal, Hawglips on this site at:

Access International Inc
4901 Collard Patch Lane
Garner, NC, 27529

919-662-8138
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:38 am

Lost,

Already asked him, shortly after getting the TSS. Looks like am going to hafta try and develop some and have pressure tested.

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:24 am

If your planning on using the MM16 ga wads let me know what hulls you want to use, I'll try and work something up for you from my 16 ga Hevishot notes if you want.
Most of my loads were made up with Steel and Blue Dot if that's what you want to use, ............Joe
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:41 am

I worked up my 10 ga 2-7/8" loads from a "heavy" loading but also used a mylar wrap and although it doesn't blow the barn doors off using 1-1/4 oz TSS #7 it is no slouch either. I've loaded and fired a few but haven't run them over the chronograph nor patterned them yet, I've been too busy with the 28 ga.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:43 am

BT Justice wrote:If your planning on using the MM16 ga wads let me know what hulls you want to use, I'll try and work something up for you from my 16 ga Hevishot notes if you want.
Most of my loads were made up with Steel and Blue Dot if that's what you want to use, ............Joe

Joe,

The MM shotcups are what I am planning on using but with STEEL powder as Blue Dot is so adversely affected by cold temps.

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Even with the TPS shotcups I use mylar.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:25 am

Yuchi1 wrote:
BT Justice wrote:If your planning on using the MM16 ga wads let me know what hulls you want to use, I'll try and work something up for you from my 16 ga Hevishot notes if you want.

Joe,

The MM shotcups are what I am planning on using but with STEEL powder as Blue Dot is so adversely affected by cold temps.

OK let me look through things and figure something out, be a start load more than likely then you can work from there.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:28 am

lostknife4 wrote:Even with the TPS shotcups I use mylar.
Lost

Try Tyvek, it's actually more abrasion and puncture resistant than Mylar. You can make the wraps yourself from any type Tyvek, most of the time you can get a scrap piece for free...yes I am cheap but resourceful... :lol3: :lol3:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:58 am

BT Justice wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:Even with the TPS shotcups I use mylar.
Lost

Try Tyvek, it's actually more abrasion and puncture resistant than Mylar. You can make the wraps yourself from any type Tyvek, most of the time you can get a scrap piece for free...yes I am cheap but resourceful... :lol3: :lol3:

Now that is a handy piece of information, thanks Joe
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:51 pm

BPI's ITX13 manual has loads using VP80 wads with 20/28, 800x, Longshot, and SR4756 that could easily be loaded up with TSS and fillers. Most of the loads are listed at 1450 to 1550 fps and all use Cheddite or RIO hulls but if your interested let me know and I can PM some to you.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:30 am

hamernhonkers wrote:BPI's ITX13 manual has loads using VP80 wads with 20/28, 800x, Longshot, and SR4756 that could easily be loaded up with TSS and fillers. Most of the loads are listed at 1450 to 1550 fps and all use Cheddite or RIO hulls but if your interested let me know and I can PM some to you.

You might be better off going this route, most of my loadings with STEEL are heavier like 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz. From what I read in my notes Blue Dotgave excellent results with Hevishot, but you stated you didn't want to use that.
If you want to go the STEEL powder route try 26 grains as a start up point and work up from there, usually was the bottom end start point for most of my 16 ga loads, I just think Blue Dot had a better pressure curve to use with Tungsten shot than STEEL did.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:33 am

BT Justice wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:BPI's ITX13 manual has loads using VP80 wads with 20/28, 800x, Longshot, and SR4756 that could easily be loaded up with TSS and fillers. Most of the loads are listed at 1450 to 1550 fps and all use Cheddite or RIO hulls but if your interested let me know and I can PM some to you.

You might be better off going this route, most of my loadings with STEEL are heavier like 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz. From what I read in my notes Blue Dotgave excellent results with Hevishot, but you stated you didn't want to use that.
If you want to go the STEEL powder route try 26 grains as a start up point and work up from there, usually was the bottom end start point for most of my 16 ga loads, I just think Blue Dot had a better pressure curve to use with Tungsten shot than STEEL did.

I'm using Lil Gun in the 28 ga and Longshot in the 12 ga with TSS.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:35 am

Thanks guys, have decided to work up a couple loads and have them pressure tested.

Saturday, went to the gun club with a buddy to pattern some of his 16 gauge loads he'd assembled (published recipes) using Fiocchi hulls (factory pre-primed) Longshot/STEEL powder, BPI shotcups, some with straight steel pellets (#1's & #4's) and a blended load of #1 steel & #4 ITX10 pellets. The shotguns used were BPS16 & Citori Lightning with Trulock PH tubes in SKT II, MOD & IM constrictions and all shots taken at 40 yards.

The straight steel loads were 7/8 oz. with published mv's of ~1519FPS while the blended load was 1 oz. which occupied the same spacing in the shotcup as the 7/8 oz. of 100% steel pellets.

First blush impressions were the MOD and steel 1's (no real surprise here) presented the most even pellet distributions. The SKT II with #4's was not even close to working as it took the IM tube to get "fairly workable" patterns with them. The blended load was also a pleasant surprise as it was right there with the MOD & #1's of straight steel. I did not observe the typical "spreader load" pattern bloom that is inherent (per, my findings as well as those of many others) with the (12 ga. & 20 ga.) Hevi Metal loads.

IMO, the overbored barrels in the Citori may be contributing to the need for more choking as I have experienced this with the 12 gauge Invector Plus barrels as well.

The TSS load I'm working on is 1 oz. of #7's in the Federal hull, Winchester 209 primer, BPI MM shotcup (w/28 ga. fibre wad under the pellets) and 26 grains of Longshot powder.

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes