Steel shot

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Steel shot

Postby fowlmouth labs » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:15 pm

We all now steel shot can not even come close to comparing with lead, but I want to know what is the closest to it without paying three prices for all this new heavy shot, bismuth, tungsten,etc. Please help!
fowlmouth labs
Newb

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:52 am

Hevi shot is closest to lead performance.

But he new High Velocity Steel loads are excellent loads now. Anything over 1450fps will kill ducks deader than a door nail at 50 yds. Problem is that most guys can not shoot well over 30 yds, so its a moot point that ballistically it can kill them to 50 yds.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fatweed » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:44 pm

Not that im an expert,,,but it took me several years to be able to hit with steel shot..i hated it at first...said i coudnt hit my foot with my toe in the barrell... LOL... then i started readin... yeah the velocity helps...and the biggest deal is pattern ur gun.... see where it shoots steel... i found the browning o/u 3.5 inch i had then shot it low... hence built in lead for rising birds...( or whatever that gun was, i cant remember) so after i started shootin different... then i started hitting...and i couldnt believe some of the long kills i made then.... so first thing id suggest is pattern your gun......the browning bps im shootin now is the same way..and i hit ok with it after i patterned it... :thumbsup:
PS ive had the best luck with the federal premium steel in 3.5 inch 12 ga... im gonna try the kent fasteels next.... i cant afford the exotic stuff....so i just stick with steel... overall.... sure lead is better,,,but steel will still make some long shots... ya just gotta put the shot where the birds is... hehehe..
Fatweed
hunter

Postby champion duck slayer » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:12 pm

Ive had the best luck with kent shells and estate thats all I shoot out of my 835 dont laugh but it fits me if you cut open a kent shell or estate and look at the shot you will see they will be round. have then look at federal, remintion shells and look at there shot it will look almost square in a way.
IF IT FLYS IT DIES IF IT DONT FLY IT DIES ANYWAY
champion duck slayer
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:49 pm

Fathead wrote:i found the browning o/u 3.5 inch i had then shot it low... hence built in lead for rising birds.

:withstupid:

Hey Fatfingers,
If it shoots low a rising bird would be in absolutely no danger of being hit. But if it shot high, then a rising bird would be in the pattern.

BTW, since you are having trouble remember basic direction of low/high I thought you maybe also are having troubles with side to side directions and need a refresher course....your left hand is on the left siade and your right hand is on the right side.... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:toofunny:

:mrgreen:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fatweed » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:43 pm

yeah whatever....i got mixed up....that was fer them landin birds..and i didnt remember..... ...oh well .... dont need to remember anymore my lefts and my rights.....its alllllllll instinct now.... hehehe... and anyway i can hittem.....but just guess i cant tell someone else how too.... so ill quit tryin.... :hammering:
Fatweed
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:47 am

pattern your loads. find the best load-choke combo that shoots best at the ranges you shoot. (faster does help) get a couple boxes of clay birds and practice ...steel will kill all the birds you want if you keep shots in your range and actually hit him
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes