reloading Hevi-Shot...

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

reloading Hevi-Shot...

Postby Mallyard » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:07 am

How much do you save by reloading hevi-shot? is it quite a bit? Thanks

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jeepman:-) » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:37 pm

As long as you have all the normal loading gear just pick up the Hevi shot loading kit. It comes with the High Brass hulls (100), Hevi shot (10lbs) in bb-6, wads, and felt spacers, and reference guide, all for around $125. Depending on what payload you want to shoot, it will cost about 1/2 as much as buying boxes.
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of HIGH EXPLOSIVES!
Jeepman:-)
hunter

Postby atp » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:21 pm

HI All

We are going to reload hevi-shot---the kit from Ballistic Products will more than half the cost---$1.42 vs 3.25 / shell in Canada--seems very dear---but after shooting the reloads from a friend,it is the only sure shot for the large Canada geese!!The price in Canada for 10 shells is from $27 to 36 at present!

We can hope that the price of mass production will lower the cost--it patterns superbly and has more pellets/oz---just a fantastic shot!!!

TOM
We are located in Vancouver,BC
Hunting done in Manitoba and BC
atp
hunter

Postby gander commander » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:38 pm

is there a website for these companies where you can order the kits? thanks
gander commander
Newb

Postby atp » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:16 pm

Do a search for Ballistic products and you will find all the info on their kits--we just ordered the 12 g 2 3/4 kit and have loaded #4 shot-1 1/8 oz,using 29 gr of 4756 powder.

Results: very dense pattern---distance shots to 60 yards are quite normal---something we would never do with steel---very humane instant kills--Haven't bit into one of the pellets yet--bet it would smart!

When you first look at the bag of pellets,you would think someone sold you old used shot---it is very non-uniform in size and shape.Apparently it is made from molten metal and is quite unusual.At first thought I figured it would never pattern properly--too many different shapes and sizes.However using a buffer and felt backing in the wad---it does quite nicely.Still very expensive to reload--$1.23 per shell roughly--providing you already have the powder.

Definately worth the try!!

TOM
We are located in Vancouver,BC
Hunting done in Manitoba and BC
atp
hunter

Postby chrsjoy » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:27 pm

I shoot a 10 guage 1-3/4 oz Hevi-shot load. From Cabellas (and most other places) the cost is about $2.20 per shell (U.S). You can buy Hevi-shot for reloading at about $100 for 10 pounds. I can load 91 shells at 1-3/4 oz. per shell for a cost of about $1.10 per shell for shot only. Primer, powder, wad, felt spacer (if necessary), buffer and tight seal (if desired), primer seal and crimp seal are extra. Still a heck of a savings and you can push it faster than 1300 feet per second which is the Remington Hevi-shot muzzle velocity.
chrsjoy
Newb

reloading hevi-shot

Postby txduckdog » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:21 pm

I've found a few little issues using the Ballistics Products hevi-shot kit;

I've had to add a couple of things to fill up the shell in order to get a good crimp;

I add a nitro card over the powder, then seat the wad; on top of the shot after adding the buffer I put 2 thin overshot cards.

I use a MEC Sizemaster reloader; without these 2 additions I was not getting a very good crimp at all---the load was too low in the cup.

I did consult with BPI before making these adjustments and went with their recommendations after I explained the situation. Good folks at BPI.
So every person in every pickup waves, if they don't---they must be a Yankee.

www.SandhillsWaterfowl.com
txduckdog
Newb

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes