New Hevi steel

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

New Hevi steel

Postby maclavin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:07 pm

I think I saw a topic on this a while back but not sure. How hevi is the new hevi steel? In the new cabelas add it says the new high density loads extend your range past traditional loads. I thought it was plain old old steel?

Mike
maclavin
hunter

Re: New Hevi steel

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:05 am

Got my Mack's Prairie Wings Waterfowl catalog this week and buried down in the verbiage (line number six) of the advertisment (on page 196) are the words, all steel which (IMO) means it is not the original Hevi Steel product, rather, an attempt to (IMO), mislead consumers.

I am forever done with purchasing anything from that (EMI) company.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:16 am

In the most recent volume of American Waterfowler Tom Roster has an article on Hevi-Steel and he confirms the advertising is misleading and the pellets are no different than the regular steel loadings of Kent, Federal, Rem, etc...
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:37 am

My first few boxes of factory steel were purchased when we were first mandated to use steel shot for waterfowl, I was very disappointed as a lot of others were too. After a couple of years of not waterfowling, and when loading data and components became available to handloaders, I started hunting migratory birds again but those were the first factory ammo that I had bought for quite a few years and haven't bought any factory fodder since, either Shotshell or Metallic with the exception of 22 rim fire.
I firmly believe I make better ammo for my guns than I can buy, besides TSS isn't factory loaded, at least not yet anyway LOL. All that fancy and misleading advertising is just second grade propaganda at best IMHO.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Deleted by zpstl321
Last edited by zpstl321 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:17 pm

I'm confused, I let y'all know this was just steel months ago...
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby goosepit2007 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:23 pm

SPatrick wrote:I'm confused, I let y'all know this was just steel months ago...

i think it is just the newer members and or people that just got there cabalas/waterfowl catologs and the advertising that is in those sale catologs and on the websites is misleading.....here is what cabala's has on there website...

here is the exact line :

Hevi-Steel from Environ-Metal Inc. gives you the power, speed and results you expect from Hevi-Shot® in an all-steel package your wallet will enjoy. High-density loads extend your range past traditional steel shotshells.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Environ- ... hevi+steel

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby hawglips » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:37 am

here is the exact line :

Hevi-Steel from Environ-Metal Inc. gives you the power, speed and results you expect from Hevi-Shot® in an all-steel package your wallet will enjoy. High-density loads extend your range past traditional steel shotshells.

It is disappointing that EMI uses deception as a standard marketing strategy.
hawglips
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:36 am

SPatrick wrote:I'm confused, I let y'all know this was just steel months ago...

Shaun...you did, and (as always) there is no confusion with your comments.

As the other guys have illustrated above, the confusion is with EMI's marketing package for this product.

When you first mentioned this "new" product a few months back, and with the name, Hevi Steel, those of us that used the original product were pleased the company had apparently decided to put this product (so much better in both value and performance than HM or SB) back into production.

When we subsequently learned is was just regular steel, packaged/marketed as the original steel/tungsten product, the disappointment was unmistakable.

Add in the actual marketing data for this product which (IMO) is rather deceptive, has turned off many past customers, to the point, they will not/may not ever come back.

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:02 am

Deleted by zpstl321
Last edited by zpstl321 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:05 pm

zpstl321 wrote:At one time there was good information that showed the tungsten in hevi metal weighed less than the steel pellets while marketing it as a better product.

This is completely false.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby 11-87 Va » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:35 pm

None of this stuff really bothers me, its kinda up to me to research what I'm buying. With that said, I understand the point y'all are making. What I didn't like was the fact that it didn't pattern well out of my gun, so I doubt that I'll be using it. Marketing is one thing, performance is another.
I am second

Minus One

Go Keydets!
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Deleted by zpstl321
Last edited by zpstl321 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Deleted by zpstl321
Last edited by zpstl321 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:09 pm

Deleted by zpstl321
Last edited by zpstl321 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Deleted by zpstl321
zpstl321
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Deleted by zpstl321
zpstl321
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Weight and density are two density are completely different things. You can come on here and spout conjecture and speculation all you want, that does not mean its true. Why should anyone believe a word you say. You don't give any information about who you are, or show any of your own tests to prove otherwise, all you do is bad mouth a company with things you have HEARD on the internet.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Easy there St. Patrick, stand down for a minute. A high mass density pellet could weigh more, equal to or even weigh less, it all depends on the size/diameter of the high mass density and Steel pellets in question. Nowhere did I read that same diameter pellets were being compared. The only way that The high-density pellets weigh less than the steel pellets could exist is being of a smaller diameter which is clarified later in the sentence by: "but have less wind resistance" assuming of course that all the pellets are spherical.
You're doing ok so far in my books Shaun but you have to admit that the company you represent has lost a lot of credibility.
Lost
Last edited by lostknife4 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby arey60 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:56 pm

It comes down to patterns and performance. The hevi metal patterns are not as good at 40 due to the irregular high density shot migrating to the periphery of the pattern quickly. Kent, Federal and Rem don't do this. I think of hevi-metal as spreader "choke".
Hevi metal is great to 30-35 but after that is suffers in pattern density.
arey60
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:45 pm

arey60 wrote:It comes down to patterns and performance. The hevi metal patterns are not as good at 40 due to the irregular high density shot migrating to the periphery of the pattern quickly. Kent, Federal and Rem don't do this. I think of hevi-metal as spreader "choke".
Hevi metal is great to 30-35 but after that is suffers in pattern density.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And this is the reason it works so well for some as they were to tightly choked for the ranges they were shooting with regular steel shot. Once they tossed in a nice spreader load (HM/SB) with the same choke they were using with regular loads all of a sudden they were actually hitting birds and hitting them solid due to a better pattern.

Its just to bad they don't realize all they had/have to do was/is a little patterning with more open chokes and they could have the same affect for at a much lower cost per bird :yes: :wink:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Hevi Metal was the worst patterning shell I ever shot. Very blown patterns
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:39 pm

I understand that some of you may not like some of the marketing terms used by EMI, but those are the terms used in the waterfowl industry. Every company does it, you could go through most ammo companies and find things that are similar. If you look at duck and calls for example they say all kinds of things, "effectively creating an irresistible cone of sound", "Produces the most realistic goose sounds to date" "the meanest single reed on the market". This is all marketing, every company does it, now for someone who is experienced, these things mean nothing, the calls I named off, I would never use on field or on stage, but its what each individual company uses to sell calls. Nature of the beast guys...
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:34 pm

SPatrick wrote:I understand that some of you may not like some of the marketing terms used by EMI, but those are the terms used in the waterfowl industry. Every company does it, you could go through most ammo companies and find things that are similar. If you look at duck and calls for example they say all kinds of things, "effectively creating an irresistible cone of sound", "Produces the most realistic goose sounds to date" "the meanest single reed on the market". This is all marketing, every company does it, now for someone who is experienced, these things mean nothing, the calls I named off, I would never use on field or on stage, but its what each individual company uses to sell calls. Nature of the beast guys...

Shaun,

I understand marketing and selling the sizzle.

IMO, what EMI did is so far off reservation, there may well be legal consequences.

They took a product (Hevi Steel) that was manufactured (pellets) of steel and tungsten and (per the original marketing) was actually denser than regular steel pellets.

Now, they have taken regular (density) steel pellets and are selling them in boxes labelled with the same verbiage (Hevi Steel) as the original product, thus rendering the impression this product is "heavier".

It ain't.

That, my young friend, is a dawg that won't hunt.

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes