Hevi metal

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Hevi metal

Postby MO_Duck » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:58 pm

What's everyone's opinions on hevi metal? Thinking about throwing some at ducks this year.
MO_Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:25 pm


Re: Hevi metal

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Wait for it...............................................
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Hevi metal

Postby On the X » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:00 pm

Its not the best patterning load but it can give adequate patterns on paper with the right choke. I like it, it does a good job of killing ducks................for me and others here. There's others here who have used it and have negative reviews and then there's others here who have never used it and have negative reviews of it.......go figure that one.
On the X
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Hevi metal

Postby QuackWhacker65 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:25 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:Wait for it...............................................

:lol: :lol: :lol:
QuackWhacker65
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Hevi metal

Postby nmbrinkman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:12 am

I like it. I buy 4-6 boxes a season then occasionally branch out and try other brands. It kills ducks like any other load though. I'm not loyal to it though.
User avatar
nmbrinkman
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: Hevi metal

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:31 pm

On the X wrote:Its not the best patterning load
This is true, we got much better patterns and at longer ranges with plain steel with both the 10 and 12 gauge loads we used. (all this and at a fraction of the cost) :thumbsup:
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY

Re: Hevi metal

Postby Joe Hunter » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:40 pm

Here are a few of my patterns to give you an idea of how they performed in my gun/choke.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.)
Federal Speed-Shok 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (154 pellets) pattern 115 (75%)
Hevi-Metal 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 & #5 (164 pellets) pattern 93 (58%)
Remington Sportsman Hi-Speed 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (152 pellets) pattern 110 (72%)
Winchester Xpert Hi-Velocity 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (146 pellets) pattern 106 (73%)

Now you can be the judge.

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 6:49 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Hevi metal

Postby z51 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:16 am

MO_Duck wrote:What's everyone's opinions on hevi metal? Thinking about throwing some at ducks this year.


It would beboove you to pattern whatever you plan to "throw" at ducks in your gun.
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Hevi metal

Postby zpstl321 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:25 pm

MO_Duck wrote:What's everyone's opinions on hevi metal? Thinking about throwing some at ducks this year.


Buy something else.
zpstl321
hunter
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:17 am

Re: Hevi metal

Postby On the X » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:38 pm

zpstl321 wrote:
MO_Duck wrote:What's everyone's opinions on hevi metal? Thinking about throwing some at ducks this year.


Buy something else.

I'm scratching my head wondering why Hevi metal has worked for me for 3 years now. Obviously we users of this load are dumber than Obama voters in '12, but wait, we get the desired results we're after and they don't.
On the X
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Hevi metal

Postby SPatrick » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:08 pm

zpstl321 wrote:
Buy something else.


As bad as you make the shell sound, it amazes me that I am even able to kill ducks and geese. Basically everyone I hunt with shoots these shells, and absolutely love them. To the OP: Buy your self a box, and see how the shells do in the field for you.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
User avatar
SPatrick
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 am
Location: MO

Re: Hevi metal

Postby CaptainWv » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:17 pm

I've seen plenty of ducks killed with it, but it didn't pattern worth a dime for me
CaptainWv
hunter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:43 am

Re: Hevi metal

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:03 pm

CaptainWv wrote:I've seen plenty of ducks killed with it, but it didn't pattern worth a dime for me


Capn...it will kill up close, being the spreader load that it is, and prolly works well for those that cannot shoot well.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1616
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: Hevi metal

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Joe Hunter wrote:Here are a few of my patterns to give you an idea of how they performed in my gun/choke.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.)
Federal Speed-Shok 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (154 pellets) pattern 115 (75%)
Hevi-Metal 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 & #5 (164 pellets) pattern 93 (58%)
Remington Sportsman Hi-Speed 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (152 pellets) pattern 110 (72%)
Winchester Xpert Hi-Velocity 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (146 pellets) pattern 106 (73%)

Now you can be the judge.

Good luck.


HM patterned 21% less than the average of the 3 other loads with the operative factor being 40 yards.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1616
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: Hevi metal

Postby SPatrick » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:45 pm

That is only out of his gun, and choke. Mileage for others will vary drastically.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
User avatar
SPatrick
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 am
Location: MO

Re: Hevi metal

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:32 pm

Shaun,

You're correct however, my results were similar using the Terror tube in .681, Trulock PH in IM and PM tubes in both the Beretta 390's and Benelli Super 90.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1616
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: Hevi metal

Postby On the X » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:47 pm

Yuchi, I have said 2 times in 2 different threads that are currently active, that HM is not the best patterning load by far, but you can get adequate patterns and dead ducks prove it. Dead ducks at 30 yds- and dead ducks 30+ .
On the X
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Hevi metal

Postby gride830 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:31 pm

It's my go to shell for anything inside 40 yards. 3.5 inch 3's. Patterns good enough to kill most things I shoot at INSIDE my range. I don't need to put 100% of my steel pellets in a 30 inch circle at 50 yards. Hell, most people cant consistently make a 30 yard shot but they can brag they made a 60 yard shot with a full choke and steel once in a blue moon when they do.
I've been shooting hevi-metal for 5-6 years now and I haven't found a better replacement in that price range although I've been tempted to opt for black cloud numerous times, second fav. Only issue with black cloud is pellet count per shell. I usually go thru just under a case for the whole waterfowl season because I pick and choose good shots to take. I haven't found anything I like better than of course hevi-steel for which I still have a couple boxes of 6's and B's. $1 a shot isn't for everyone but I've lost golfballs at that price many times throughout 18 holes, enough not to spend the small fortune on $3 balls. I'm in the recycling industry and I can tell you tungsten will only get more expensive and much quicker over time than steel. Find a good all steel load you'll like for years to come or spend the dough on better stuff if you have the extra cash. Harder hitting stuff does mean less cripples as long as you hit them.
I'm not a hevi-metal pro staff nor do I play one on TV. But I have yet to see someone opt for anything else after trying them.
gride830
hunter
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Hevi metal

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:52 pm

The point is, for less $$'s you can take regular steel and kill as well or better than HM inside 30 yards via simple choke constriction manipulation. For beyond 30 yards, simple choke constriction manipulation will allow regular steel to outperform HM as it begins to fall off the table, performance-wise, at that range.

gride830 is willing to absorb the punishment (felt recoil) of 3 1/2" loads to get the extra 10 yards and I say more power to him, meanwhile, I'm rolling the birds at that range (and, farther) with a 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz. load of regular steel, and at about 40% of the cost of HM.

Gentlemen, while your enthusiasm is commendable, you don't have anywhere near enough lipstick for that pig.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1616
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: Hevi metal

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:52 am

On the X wrote:Yuchi, I have said 2 times in 2 different threads that are currently active, that HM is not the best patterning load by far, but you can get adequate patterns and dead ducks prove it. Dead ducks at 30 yds- and dead ducks 30+ .


While absolutely correct, the problem with that statement is that it ignores the fact that, by far, most ducks are killed well inside of 40 yards. If for no other reason than the average duck hunter is not capable of hitting with any consistency beyond that. So, theoretically at least, this load with its abnormally wide patterns can be an aid to the average waterfowler, however minute that advantage might be.

That being the case, inside of 40 yards any steel load on the market will do the deed, as Yuchi points out. All one needs to do is to modify the choke accordingly and save money. In fact, if the average waterfowler would take all that savings and put it towards a few rounds of clays before the season, he'd be better served. Regardless of what the marketing people tell you, you can't buy success.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Hevi metal

Postby zpstl321 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:06 am

Frank Lopez wrote:
On the X wrote:Yuchi, I have said 2 times in 2 different threads that are currently active, that HM is not the best patterning load by far, but you can get adequate patterns and dead ducks prove it. Dead ducks at 30 yds- and dead ducks 30+ .


While absolutely correct, the problem with that statement is that it ignores the fact that, by far, most ducks are killed well inside of 40 yards. If for no other reason than the average duck hunter is not capable of hitting with any consistency beyond that. So, theoretically at least, this load with its abnormally wide patterns can be an aid to the average waterfowler, however minute that advantage might be.

That being the case, inside of 40 yards any steel load on the market will do the deed, as Yuchi points out. All one needs to do is to modify the choke accordingly and save money. In fact, if the average waterfowler would take all that savings and put it towards a few rounds of clays before the season, he'd be better served. Regardless of what the marketing people tell you, you can't buy success.

Frank


I could get behind most of these statements and fully agree with most. Also, at 20 to 30 yards the lighter than lead (9.8 g/cc) smaller hevi shot pellets they use in this load still has enough energy to be effective.
zpstl321
hunter
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:17 am

Re: Hevi metal

Postby On the X » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:14 am

Frank, starting a month from today I will be shooting doves twice a week thru the season which is so much better than two days of controlled clays of any variety, wingshooting is not one of my weaknesses.

Yuchi, regular steel will get it done at 30- , 30 and 30+ sure and I've been shooting steel since '88. But at all these ranges steel over the years has slammed ducks to the water many many many times just to require follow up shots. My three years experience shooting HM has showed more ducks not requiring follow ups. I know everyone loves a good debate but have you made it your purpose in life to "save" the world from the evils of EMI? Obviously theres enough of us satisfied with their products, based on performance not advertisement to keep us using it. What is the exact load you use? I'm pretty sure neagatives can be found in it as well, yet you would never find me running it down to you, as it would be a total waste of my time doing so, as running down HM to me is a total waste of your time.
On the X
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Hevi metal

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:22 pm

On the X wrote:Frank, starting a month from today I will be shooting doves twice a week thru the season which is so much better than two days of controlled clays of any variety, wingshooting is not one of my weaknesses.


Didn't say EVERYONE, I said AVERAGE WATERFOWLER. Still, a load like this one might help the AVERAGE Waterfowler. Consider that in every pattern I shot with this load, as well as every one I've ever seen, the smaller, heavier shot migrates from the center of the pattern to the annular portion of the pattern quite quickly. Now, a centered bird is a dead bird, regardless of the load. But a fringed bird is likely to be a cripple unless a vital is struck. And since this load does spread and fill the pattern more quickly than regular steel, the likely hood of striking a vital is all that much greater.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Hevi metal

Postby zpstl321 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Frank,

While it is smaller it is not heavier, which is stated on their web-site. The Hevi pellets weigh less than the steel pellets in the load. It is one of the reason the pattern are blown. The steel shot pushes thru the hevi. Basically the hevi used in this load would be about like shooting ducks with #5 steel or maybe as good as shooting them with #7 lead, but that is about it. They are smaller than the steel pellets used and they weigh less than the steel pellets used. Any benefit gain would have to be up close and based on targets I've see that too is doubtful.

People would be far better off with Winchesters Blind Side with 1 3/8 oz of shot and open chokes.
Better yet, Black Cloud close range.
Last edited by zpstl321 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
zpstl321
hunter
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:17 am

Re: Hevi metal

Postby On the X » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:29 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
On the X wrote:Frank, starting a month from today I will be shooting doves twice a week thru the season which is so much better than two days of controlled clays of any variety, wingshooting is not one of my weaknesses.


Didn't say EVERYONE, I said AVERAGE WATERFOWLER. Still, a load like this one might help the AVERAGE Waterfowler. Consider that in every pattern I shot with this load, as well as every one I've ever seen, the smaller, heavier shot migrates from the center of the pattern to the annular portion of the pattern quite quickly. Now, a centered bird is a dead bird, regardless of the load. But a fringed bird is likely to be a cripple unless a vital is struck. And since this load does spread and fill the pattern more quickly than regular steel, the likely hood of striking a vital is all that much greater.

Frank

This, I could agree with you on......it can also benefit the more experienced shooter as there's plenty of variables involved in a moving target.
On the X
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Quacker-Wacker and 21 guests